“LAURENCE SUMMERS' BRILLIANT JACK THE RIPPER TOUR”

Laurence Summers Tour Guide
Ranked #155 of 731 Tours in London
More attraction details
Owner description: Good day to you all! I am Laurence Summers, a professional qualified Blue Badge Tour Guide, who loves his work and is happy to cater tours to your desire. We can explore London and the UK by foot, public transport or in my six-seater car and Im comfortable with youngs, not so youngs and those in the middle! From Royal London to the Beatles, from Shakespeare to Harry Potter, Jack the Ripper to Charles Dickens and Sherlock Holmes, Britain's Secret Service to Law Courts or, if you prefer further afield, we can go to Stonehenge, Hampton Court, Bath , the Cotswolds or Windsor Castle to name but a few. Please contact me - details on this page - and/or have a look at my website and decide which of the many tours I offer you would like to do. My passion is my work so please come and make me work at my passion!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed December 30, 2013

If you want the full atmosphere of what it was like to be in the East End of London, during the frightening time when Jack the Ripper was carrying out his terrible murders, look no further. Laurence Summers takes you through the streets where these ghastly events took place and you can actually imagine what those misfortunate prostitutes went through and hear their bloodcurdling screams. Laurence is a witty, informative guide, full of interesting anecdotes and stories and relates the various theories as to the identity of the Ripper and how he led the police a merry dance. This is a tour well worth taking and and the icing on the cake is the good looking Laurence who bears an amazing resemblance to how James Dean would have looked had he lived to maturity.

Reviewed November 16, 2013

We are three "mature" women from the US making our first trip to London, and decided we needed a full day with a tour guide so we could cover as much territory as possible while there. Laurence was the perfect guide. He listened to all the sites we wanted to see as compiled from a London guide book. Laurence studied the list and mapped out a plan for the day, and it was spot on! He arranged our day so that we got to the attractions before the crowds, took us on the Tube as per our request so we could learn to use it independently, and spent time during a quick lunch stop to organize my list so that when we toured without him, we knew what was close together so that we could see as much as possible for our remaining few days in London. Laurence suggested we hop on a bus for some of the transfer from one place to another so we could take in more sights of London which we did, and of course, he was right again. Laurence was so easy to be with, extremely knowledgeable, great personality, and by the end of the day, I felt as if I had a new friend. You can't go wrong with Laurence as your guide! He is a FIVE STAR WINNER and well worth his fee.

1  Thank Dblondheim
Reviewed November 15, 2013

We booked Laurence for a Jack the Ripper tour for my partners birthday and found it to be a great experience. The stories were great (I say stories, but it all really happened!) and his way of telling them is fantastic. He made the tour interesting, involving, atmospheric and at times funny.
Laurence is very personable and a great guy to lead a group (there were eight of us) as he gets everyone involved. We're looking forward to booking the Beetles tour next!

Reviewed November 4, 2013

We booked a full day tour with Laurence. We enjoyed his friendly company and pleasant conversation. However, we are experienced travelers. We had a couple of guidebooks with us (Rick Steves and Lonely Planet), made frequent use of iPhones for maps and navigation, and were comfortable getting ourselves from A to B and choosing restaurants on our own. We wondered if perhaps these were the areas where Laurence was particularly skillful, because we were really very disappointed with the level of knowledge and background on the sites we chose. With a couple of our choices, we wondered if he'd ever actually been to the place before, or heard or read anything about it beyond what was obvious from the plaques on the wall. Yikes! We chose three sites that were all ranked 3 diamond ("Must See") by Rick Steves, and our guide was significantly less knowledgable than the plaques on the wall. We ended up just enjoying his company and getting audioguides and reading our guidebook for background and history, while we were paying for a very pricey personalized tour. Needless to say, the experience was definitely not what we had expected, and while we were excited to delve into London's rich history, we found that this was the least informative day of our trip, not to mention extremely expensive. We were better off on our own the other days of our trip. I imagine you could have a better experience if you were looking for a guide who was primarily responsible for herding a large group to various attractions, helping you cut through long lines, finding pubs to stop in, etc. But if you're looking for an expert in history, local details, or context beyond what's readily available in London's top attractions, and you don't need to be shepherded from site to site, look elsewhere.

5  Thank elizabeth t
LaurenceSummersTours, Owner at Laurence Summers Tour Guide, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2013

I am deeply sorry to have disappointed the person in question and rather taken aback by this review. I have a great many very positive reviews on this site and the majority of them concern tours in London , a city of which, despite the comments, I feel I know a great deal about - not everything of course - and attempt to deliver tours in a fun and informative way.
Having looked back through my recent bookings I do not recognise this persons name, so cannot remember the tour and it would help if there were a little more clarity on what sites it was felt I know nothing about as none are mentioned.This would help me to address the problem in a more constructive way .
Over the years I have taken people to Westminster Abbey, St Pauls Cathedral, Tower of London and British Museum countless times plus conducted walks through the City and Westminster and shown some people who requested something a little more off-the-beaten-track places such as Southwark, Camden, Clerkenwell & Highgate. I cannot believe it could be any of these places that the person has in mind as I certainly have a great deal of knowledge of them.
Therefore I am bemused as to which particular places it was felt that my knowledge was weak and it would help if I knew so that I can, if necessary, brush up on them.
I cannot, however, recall in recent weeks doing tours of anywhere other than the above-mentioned - all of which I consider myself to have a very good knowledge so I am in a quandary as to what this tour constituted.
Of course if the person in question felt my knowledge was not up to scratch then I have to accept that and apologise for it but many people, by the end of the day, tell me there was so much information that they cannot remember most of what I told them in the morning!

Reviewed October 21, 2013 via mobile

This was the fourth walking your with Laurence that our group has done... He is a great guy and really accommodating for the group and tailors the your to suit is. A perfect use of two hours exploring the sins of the city... Highly recommended if you are considering a tour of London book him now!

1  Thank Paul T