“Fantastic walking tour”

Laurence Summers Tour Guide
Ranked #132 of 679 Tours in London
More attraction details
Owner description: Good day to you all! I am Laurence Summers, a professional qualified Blue Badge Tour Guide, who loves his work and is happy to cater tours to your desire. We can explore London and the UK by foot, public transport or in my six-seater car and Im comfortable with youngs, not so youngs and those in the middle! From Royal London to the Beatles, from Shakespeare to Harry Potter,Jack the Ripper to Sherlock Holmes or, if you prefer further afield, we can go to Stonehenge, Hampton Court, Bath or Windsor Castle to name but a few. Please contact me - details on this page - and/or have a look at my website and decide which of the many tours I offer you would like to do. My passion is my work so please come and make me work at my passion!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Saint Albans, England, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Fantastic walking tour”
Reviewed May 16, 2013

I have had some of my American family over and we all loved Laurence's tour. He showed them Harry Potter streets which they loved!
Laurence is extremely knowledgeable and funny which made the whole experience great fun for us all.
I will recommend Laurence and will certainly be using him in the future.

Visited May 2013

New Mexico
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“What a great guide”
Reviewed May 3, 2013

I have just about wrapped up my tours with Laurence, what a GREAT guide!! He is very informative gives you lots of information and is very knowledgeable. The tours around London are fantastic. If you can and have time the tours outside of London are wonderful.

Chartwell, is the beautiful home of Winston Churchill. I think it is a must see along with Heaver Castle. Blenheim Place, Churchill’s birthplace will take your breath away as you drive into the entrance.
Just ask Laurence and he can advise you where to go, on what interests you have. I have spent 5 days with him and I enjoyed myself very much. Our last trip is going to Highclere Castle, Downton Abbey .

On my next trip I will absolutely book Laurence to be my guide. After spending so much time with Laurence I consider him a friend.

Boston, Massachusetts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Thank you Laurence for a great tour!”
Reviewed April 21, 2013

What a great tour for a grandfather and a seventeen year old. Laurence was really able to apply our interests to the sight seeing route and add insightful and interesting facts that made seeing London all the more special. We toured Westminster Abbey and the Globe. Laurence was able to integrate our interests of Shakespeare, Sherlock Holmes and Dickens into every street we saw. In terms of the Abbey, it was and English and Art History lesson combined. It was brilliant how he referenced previous topics covered on the tour to new sights. The tour was wonderful, and it made me see and appreciate so much more of London. Thanks for making my first visit to this amazing city so special and memorable, I can't wait to come again!

2 Thank Julia A
London
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Brilliant Harry Potter and Beatles tours”
Reviewed April 19, 2013

As a European tour-manager I work on a daily basis with local guides - in London there are hundreds alone. Laurence is always my first-choice though. Not only is he extremely knowledgeable, but he is hugely entertaining, funny, relaxed and a lot of fun. Over the last year he taken many of my groups on Harry Potter and Beatles tours, and the feedback has been universally brilliant. My clients are always astounded by his level of knowledge, his ability to tailor his commentaries to the interests and requirements of the group and the way in which he makes the city's history come to life. Whenever I have the chance, I always come along too - every single corner or building seems to unleash another fascinating story or anecdote, and possibly as many hilarious one-liners. With Laurence, I laugh lots, and I always learn something new.

2 Thank JohnHCW
Texas
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Perfect tour guide for our family!”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

We spent a week in London this March and were fortunate to have booked 3 mornings with Laurence as our tour guide. We picked him based on his reviews and his friendly responses to our initial inquiries and he delivered all that we expected and more. Although we had some ideas of what we wanted to see, I also wanted to tell him who we are and what we like and have him help us develop our itinerary with him, which he was happy to do. After discussing a few options, we settled on one day touring the Old City and St Paul’s; one day of Westminster Abbey/Buckingham Palace guard change/Trafalgar Square; and one day somewhat outside the city with a specific itinerary to be determined later (we ended up touring Highgate and Camden which were both interesting and different from anything else we had seen).

From the moment we met him Monday morning he was engaging and fun, making sure to connect with each person in our party. We are a family of 4 with mom, dad, and 16 and 20 year old sons, and he made fast friends with the boys. After a week of discussing football with him, I think my 20 year old wanted to smuggle Laurence back to Texas with him, but we advised him that Laurence was an inappropriate souvenir! He remembered our interests from our emails and also learned new things as we went, so he was able to keep things interesting and relevant for each person in our party, adding in references to football, Harry Potter, Dr Who, literature and history. As an example of him tailoring our tour to meet our interests, we had almost completed our tour of St. Paul’s when he realized that he had only shown our sons where 2 of the 3 bombs dropped during the war. From talking to them he knew they would want to see the 3rd site, so he made sure to get that in before we left.

Although each of the 4 of us enjoyed different aspects of our time with Laurence, we all agreed that the 3 mornings we spent with him were some of the most fun times we had in London, and without a doubt made the best use of our time. Laurence knows the city, so he is able to plan things that go together, get you into the tourist attractions without waiting, and show you the “good stuff” and then move on to the next “good stuff”. If you are trying to fit a lot in, you will find that time spent with Laurence is a good investment! Each day he left us only after heading us in the right direction for a good lunch (based on whatever our whims were for the day) & also after letting us know what was around us so we would have some good ideas of where to spend our afternoon. One day my husband and I were too tired to do the afternoon activities, so our sons struck out on their own after being given ideas from Laurence of what they were near. On the last day, we had the great honor of Laurence joining us for lunch, where we got to visit as the friends we had become by that point.

If you are considering hiring a private guide, you cannot go wrong by contacting Laurence. I am sure you will enjoy your visit with him as much as we did!

Visited March 2013