“Beware: Do not book single room!!!”

Shaftesbury Suites London Marble Arch
Ranked #806 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed February 24, 2011

Just returned from London after staying there for 5 night.
Me and my boyfriend stayed in a double deluxe room, and my mother in a single deluxe room.

Getting to the hotel is wery easy, 4 minutes walk from Marble Arch subway.
When we enterted we were told that we would not be doing the checking in there, but at another hotel down the street...
When we booked the room, we were informed that there would not be made a reservation on our creditcard, but we still had to reserve 100GBP upon check in. Not a big issue, but not as they advertise either.
We returned to our hotel.
Our room was wery spacious for a London hotel, located on the second floor. There is not an elevator, so getting the bags up there was a little heavy, but we managed.

The room my mother got was a different story.....
Her "deluxe" single room, on the first floor by the reseption, was about the size of the bathroom in our doubleroom. Just about room for a bed, a desk and a closet, and a much smaller bathroom than we had.
Considering she payed just 70 GBP less than us for the entire stay, we thougt this was unreasonable and talked to the man in the reseption.

He could not do anything, and refered us to the hotel down the street where we checked in. We went back there and discussed this with them, but they could not help us as they were fully booked. They could possibly do something the next day, but an upgrade to a double room would cost 50GBP per night. Considering we only payed 15 GBP more than her per night to start with, this was out of the question.

When we returned to our hotel, not exactly in a good mood, the problems continued.
The air-condition in her room did not work properly. it was wery hot in there, and the air-con just blew out hot air. The window could not be opened much, so we discussed this with the receptionist. He said that since it had been set for heating, it would be a while before it would switch to cooling. So for the first hours her room was wery hot.

Next, her television did not work.... We had to get the receptionist back in there again, but that did not help much. He fiddled around with it for a few minutes, but did not figure it out. The maintenance crew had left for the day, but they could check it out the next day. This was not a big problem, but all of these little issues started to bug us....

When we finally got to our room and unpacked we tried to connect to the advertised Wifi service, but it did not work. When we told this to the receptionist, he sayed that they did not have Wifi... Even though it was advertised when we booked.
At this point we started considering leaving the hotel and finding another one (Raddison down the street is a much better choice by the way)

The next day, we just decided to not let the first days events wreck our vacation. So the single room was just used for sleeping in, everything else we did in our double room.

All in all, not our best hotel memory. But maybe that is what you get for staying in London on a "budget" (not that London is cheap anyway).
Did not expect a "deluxe" room to be the size of a closet, and expected more service (things that were advertised)
Good location, just a few minutes from Oxford Street and the subway, but that is the mort positive comment i can give.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed January 14, 2011

The hotel is in a really good location for what we wanted - close to some lively and interesting parts of London, but on a quiet road. The room was excellent - spacious and very comfortable. We were well looked after by Chetan and all the staff who welcomed us and maintained an unintrusive and friendly presence throughout our stay. The room was attended to each day, and we had the advantage of an appartment with a self-catering facility. It really is difficult to know how it could have been made better for us.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed December 9, 2010

I highly reccomend this small and charming hotel.
Rooms are confortable with finest finitures; in addition the service is more than kind and helpful both at reception and rooms.
Mr Chetan is one the guy you can easily asked for any kind of help; he will provide you all the info needed in a while.
Great Hotel, good pricing and very well positioning.
If you want a comfortable stay in London just go there.
Andrea - Florence, Italy

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed December 1, 2010

I have booked this hotel weeks in advance for one single reason: Location. I was very surprised when I arrived there and was told that they would not be able to acomodate me as the rooms were in maintenance. I was transfered to another hotel of the same group BUT it was not in a walking distance to my points of interest. I am really very disapointed. I have paid the price to stay in the area of Oxford street but finish blocks away from Paddigton. Be sure they will be able to acomodate you before booking this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Tathiana L
Reviewed October 25, 2010

Never again!

I stayed in this hotel on 21st October 2010 for one night. Once I arrived to the hotel I couldn't believe there was no restaurant, sitting area or anything else other than a tiny reception.
I was shown to my room that was next to the reception, which meant I could hear everyone coming in and out of the hotel.
The room was the smallest room I have ever stayed in my whole life. A tiny single bed pushed to the wall with just enough room to open the room door and the bathroom door. Trying to close the curtains in the room meant that I had to pull the bed out and jump on the bed to reach for the courtains... There was no chair at the "desk" and when I was given one I couldn't open the bathroom door...which it was the same case if I tried to open the wardrobe door!
There was no iron or ironing board in the room as falsely advertised and I again I can understand why as per the chair situation, simply no space for one. Eventually I was given one, but it wouldn't fit in the room so I complained and I asked them to move me to a bigger room, but they wanted me to pay to be upgraded, unbelievable!!!
In the end I was offered to iron my clothes in another room which was of a normal size and then carry them across the corridor and through the reception to my room.
Returning to my room later in the evening I found it hard to have a good night sleep, because the noise was so bad both from the reception and from outside the window. There was some sord of a "boiler" noise that didn't stop all night long and at times it was so loud that I ended up waking up!
What dissapointed me the most is that no effort was made to move me to another room and take care of my needs, especially considering it was a group booking of 5 people, which means we had 5 out of the 15 rooms that they have all together.
Location and design of the hotel is excellent and they are the only good points of this hotel, but not enough to return back to this hole!!!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
3  Thank WilliamDachris
Reviewed October 22, 2010

I have just returned from staying at this hotel and i would definitely go back.

We had a few probelms in check in, we only booked the night before and they didnt have our reservation on the system. We booked a deluxe room, but luckily for us, they had none of these left so we were upgraded to a club room and it was beautiful!

The room was very big for London hotels with a lovely bathroom which had a heated floor. We had one issue as the heating in the room wasnt working, i called down to reception and the receptionist was very helpful. We were offered another room but were unable to accept this purely because there were bars in the wondow and my mum is claustraphobic so wouldnt have been able to stay in the room. I explained this to reception and he explained that he had no other rooms available but would call around all the other hotels to find us a heater...10 mins later a heater arrived! The staff were lovely and friendly and extremely helpful.

We were obviously lucky with being upgraded so i cant comment on how good value for money it is as i didnt see a deluxe room.

The hotel is a 2 minute walk to Marble Arch and Oxford Street with tube stations very near by. Compared to other hotels in this area the price we paid was very good, i would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2010
1  Thank leiv
Reviewed September 24, 2010

We were "transferred" here as the Shaftesbury hotel into which we had originally booked greeted us on arrival with the news that mysterious "maintenance" problems made it impossible for us to stay there that night. A taxi was provided at management's expense and we were delivered to the Shaftesbury Suites.
We entered a tiny reception area where we were greeted by a silent and terrified bellboy, who simply stared at us with wide, rightened eyes. Shortly thereafter a cooly elegant young woman emerged. She greeted us with a raised eyebrow and a very cold "Yes?". We explained who we were and why we were there. In total silence she checked her computer records. At last she confirmed that we could indeed remain. There was then a protracted argument over whether we needed to pay or not (we had pre-paid for the original hotel but there was much uncertainty in this young woman's mind as to whether that was good enough for her establishment). Finally we were told our room was on the 4th floor.
"Fine. Can you direct us to the lift?" The eyebrow shot up once more. "There is no lift," we were told, with great disdain, as if only peasants expected lifts. She glanced at our overnight bag and said, with a shrug, "If your bag is heavy you can leave it here." Not, mind you, "it will be brought up" but merely "you can leave your personal belongings behind and do without." Declining this offer we started the climb. We are in our 50s, in reasonably good shape, but it was one of the hottest days of the summer and we were not happy bunnies by the time, panting and sweating, we reached our room which was, to be fair, beautifully decorated and very stylish. The airconditioning, however, was very weak and even when turned to the maximum was inadequate to cool the room to a comfortable standard (outside temperatures that day/night were in the high 20s).
We had reservations for a restaurant in Knightbridge for dinner. We went out, had a lovely time and got back at about 11.00pm. Upon turning the lights out to go to bed we discovered that there were three permanently "ON" security lights on the ceiling over the bed. The only way to make them turn off was to remove the keycard from the electricity dock, which turned off all the power to the entire room, killing the airconditioning in the process. I gave my sleep masque to my husband and spent an uncomfortable night trying to avoid the glaring overhead lights.
By the way, the rooms seem to be designated as "suites" merely by the presence of a small microwave and a tiny extra sink/bar arrangement. Business people expecting anything more would be disappointed. As were we.
Book at your peril.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KEFellows
NemaLondon, Manager at Shaftesbury Suites London Marble Arch, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2010

Dear Guest
I am very sorry to hear that you were not happy with your stay at Shaftesbury Suites London Marble Arch.
I appreciate your comments regarding the overall standard of our facilities and service and I can assure you that I have noted the points you have raised in order to improve and I would like to thank you for bringing the matter to our attention.
I am quite surprised that you found the staff to be unhelpful and rude as we normally get extremely good feedback from guests and I also have spoken to the people on duty. Please accept my apologies for the poor standard of service received.
I appreciate your frustrations based on this previous experience, however I would like to prove to you that our service levels are constantly improving and we are looking into some changes wihtin our service, based on your advice. We appreciate your business and we certainly want to make it up to you in the future. As a goodwill gesture, we would like to offer you a special rate with complimentray breakfast on your next visit to London in one of our shaftesbury properties. Perhaps you will be kind enough to call me to drop me an email at nema@shaftesburyhotels.com to make your booking and to ensure that your stay is satisfactory in every respect.

Best Regards