“Well located and clean hotel”

Shaftesbury Suites London Marble Arch
Ranked #836 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed June 18, 2013

We stayed at this hotel on 9 June for one night.

It is a small hotel in Cumberland Place in London. The hotel is a very short walk to Oxford Street and the famous stores. Marble Arch station is also a short walk from the station.

We were allocated a room on the third floor. Unfortunately, the hotel does not have a lift, however, a porter helped us with our small case to the room. The room itself was compact, but very clean with windows to the room and the bathroom bringing in ample natural light.

Room had a good choice of tea/coffee making facilities.

Breakfast was served in a sister hotel five doors away, with the weather being nice and sunny this was not a problem and the quality of the breakfast was well worth the walk.

On the whole, we had a good stay. That said, if you are elderly or have children the hotel may not be suitable for you.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ashok J

Reviewed May 28, 2013

The hotel location, cleanliness, and rooms are great. The price was reasonable but they have change the hotel for us to The Marble Arch London and it have a very fast Wi-Fi. the stuff service was excellent and i would like to thanks them as it was my first time to visit London, and i will recommend this hotel again for next time.

Room Tip: good to have room on the first floor not higher than this becuase the left was very slow
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Fahad A
Reviewed May 22, 2013

I booked this hotel via Agodo at fairly short notice on a specail deal - reduced from £400 to £144 - the location was the most important ,but the description completely oversold what the place is. The room was small and cell like with no natural light, I had the same expercience as the other reviewers and was taken to a different location to check in. Being in the basement the noise from fans and running water made sleeping very difficult - then around midnight doors started banging as certain guests where re located due to problems - at 1.15am I complained about the disturbance and demanded money back. I am also very concerned about the fire exits and precautions and felt very uneasy about the whole experience. DO NOT USE THIS HOTEL - lesson learned to always check with Tripadvisor before booiking any hotel!!!!!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Godred
Reviewed March 31, 2013

I have never awarded only one star before, but this hotel leaves me no choice. Read on.

First, the good bits: the room was large, although the decor was unappealing with fabrics that seemed to come from Dr McCoy's Star Trek sickbay. There was a large flat screen opposite the bed with lots of satellite channels. Also, behind a screened cupboard there was a minibar with sink and a microwave. The location was excellent and the best that can be said about this place.

Now, the bad: although the bathroom was very hip and nicely thought out, it was probably once a closet. The sink had a fancy, almost unusable, basin and I found it impossible to wash my face without bumping my head against the the spigot. The hotel itself is a converted townhouse and the floors are carpet on wood so you can clearly hear the movements of those above you. There is no elevator and four flights of stairs. The stairs also add to the noise as people thump up and down them at all hours.

And the ugly: I arrived on a rainy evening and I was incredulous, then seething, that I had to go down the street to 31 Great Cumberland (apparently a sister establishment) to check-in. No apology or chagrin from the staff -- and no umbrella. The service was sub-standard and I found the staff unwelcoming and unprofessional. The slightest request elicited a deer-caught-in-headlights stare. For example, I asked for a laundry bag and I was told one was in the room. After looking high and low, I didn't find one and said so. I was told I would be given one when I returned from my outing but it didn't happen and I dropped it.

Avoid at all costs unless you have no other choice.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Enneas
Reviewed March 12, 2013

The hotel location, cleanliness, service, and rooms are great. My wife, baby son, and I spent a night at a Deluxe Room. It was looks like a studio fit in a room in a perfect way. The price was reasonable. The toilet is suitable for Muslims use since there is a hose for cleaning. The problem that there is no left in this 4 storey (floor) hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Since I had such a pleasant night it seemed churlish to award only one star, however as I never saw the inside of a room here I am hardly in a position to judge.
I booked this hotel last week at 2pm on the day I needed a room at short notice via Lastminute. I got a good rate, including breakfast. It was only after I had booked that I checked the reviews and my heart sank. On arrival at around 6pm I found reception was a small booth squeezed into a narrow hallway. The man before me seemed to have some delay with checking in, and then he was assured he would be upgraded and escorted out of the hotel. I guessed what was coming, and sure enough, I too was to be upgraded, follow me please.
Now, having read some of the previous reviewers who were very unhappy with their transfer I prepared for the worst and an argument. However, it was my lucky day and I found myself in the 5 star hotel down the road. I had to remind them my booking included breakfast and I was awarded a continental breakfast. This would normally cost £17:50 and was taken in the club lounge. An excellent selection of everything I would normally want and more, so I was quite happy with this.

You should know that Shaftesbury Suites isn't really a hotel at all. There seem to be 17 rooms, but no other "hotel" facilities - no bar, no restaurant, no lift even.
It would seem that they take whatever bookings come their way, take a cut for administration and move you along to whereever has some spare rooms to fill. If you book late in the day as I did I should think it highly unlikely you would actually get to stay here, and I imagine it is pot luck where you end up. There are some highly disgruntled reviewers, but for me it was a very favourable deal. However, I wouldn't take my chance on being so lucky another day.
If you are offered a transfer to somewhere walking distance then you could take a look and go back and argue if unhappy. I wouldn't get in a taxi anywhere though without first ascertaining exactly where I was going and what price I could get a last minute room for.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Sparkyloo
Reviewed February 12, 2013

I booked this hotel on the day,as i had to stay in London overnight due to the snow,i booked online 1 x Deluxe Non-Smoking Double. Room Only. paid over the odds,
I called to tell then i would not be able to get there until 7.30 pm,on arrival i was told they were over booked and could i wait to see what could be done for me,i asked for a re fund as i had paid £180, i could of got somewhere close no problem,no re-fund sorry sir,after about 45 mins i was told i had to go to another hotel close by,the sent for a taxi which took another 20 mins to take me to the Park Grand Hotel Hyde Park,can book this for £80 on-line,now £100 out of pocket, so 10 mins later he drops me off outside the hotel and i go in to find its the wrong hotel, he dropped me off at the Grand Park Hotel Paddington,so then i get directions to walk as the taxi had left,15 mins later in the snow i arrived at the correct hotel,reception were friendly but i was running very late and not pleased at my treatment,but checked in anyway,the room was clean but small,.i was late for my dinner reservation but went out anyway to drown my sorrows,In the morning i complained about the price difference but no refund,all i was offered was free breakfast on my next stay,i felt truly ripped off,
That's a Joke,Don't book any of these hotels

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business