British Music Experience - CLOSED
Review Highlights
Expected more for the price

I am a big fan of British Museums, but this one disappointed me for the price we paid. A lot of... read more

Reviewed May 1, 2014
OlgaBY
London (originally from Belarus)
Fun museum

Reviewed March 30, 2014
almasst
Los Gatos, California

See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed December 9, 2015

I enjoyed my visit at the BME. It's quite easy to get there (since it is in the O2, you can stop at the Greenwich tube station), and the fact that it is located in the O2 makes it better since you can just go eat or take a quick bite after spending some time at the BME.

I love the ambience and the overall atmosphere of the BME, I also love the fact that it provides interactive activities for the visitors to enjoy (they have this digital, touch screen spinning table that tells a lot about the history of music labels, groups and genres which I spent most of my time in). However, I do believe that those who do not have a great passion in music will not enjoy their time in BME for more than 30minutes. I was a bit disappointed by their no photograph rule, for I am a HUGE fan of Hendrix and I really wanted to take a picture in front of his famous fringed jacket..

Anyways, I was also hooked by their gift shop (yes I know, I'm such a softie when it comes to merch). They have many unique merchandise that I'm sure is not available anywhere else (such as themed cards that provides highlight of different years). Lastly, I am fond of BME since I now know another bunch of musical artists and groups of my favourite genres that are not well-known!! So I thank BME for that :)

Reviewed June 29, 2014

Had found out about this attraction by accident and spent a morning going through the place.
We arrived not long after opening and had the place to ourselves for the first hour.
Good to muck around on the interactive equipment in the band room, as well as a little time on the "dance floor". Enjoyed the memrobilia, and watching/listening to the clips/songs, and just genearlly wandering around.You really get out of these type of exhibitions what you put in-you could wander in, have a look around, and be out in an hour.
On the other hand, if you immersed yourself into the whole experience, it is a good way to spend 2 or 3 hours or so.As our Rock God Molly Meldrum says, "do yourself a favour" ....

3  Thank jimbobler
Reviewed May 1, 2014

A lot of information is not that interactive -- you basically go around and look at glassed displays of costumes and paraphernalia.
To be objective, the dance booth was a lot of fun, and the idea that you can try out instruments was great, but you had to queue to get to more popular ones.

4  Thank OlgaBY
Reviewed April 21, 2014

I realize that putting together a museum on music can be a challenge, but the British Music Experience is simply a failure. Futher, on the day of our visit, many of the interactive exhibits werenot functioning...not to mention generally difficult to operate. Save your time and money.

5  Thank Road804303
Reviewed April 7, 2014 via mobile

Great, fun museum. Children aged 6 &11 loved it as did grandma and grandad. Not a whole day but a good few hours can be spent here, we went in school holidays and it wasn't at all busy so we were able to use all instruments and danced to several songs ! My only complaint was that website suggested we booked online to save 30% which we did only to get there and realise we could have used a 2 for 1 offer with the train. 2 young guys who worked there were very apologetic and suggested we speak to the booking desk, young girl on the desk clearly didn't care and wasn't interested. Would have saved us
£17 so worth the saving !! Disappointed with customer services.

2  Thank wheasuzan
Reviewed March 30, 2014

Good history of the rock and roll music seen. Some fun interactive activities such as playing electric guitar, bass, piano and drums. Singing too and dancing. Worth the couple of hours we spent there.

1  Thank almasst
Reviewed March 20, 2014

My wife and I are both practicing musicians so we really wanted to see this and frankly, it was good not great. It's like the Hard Rock Cafe on steroids with its collection of Rock artifacts. The "Jam Room" is cool for amateurs/hackers and letting the kids have a go. It's stocked with low-end Gibson instruments (I've got better at home). The staff was very cool, especially when they learned we were New York musicians. They let us in just under the wire at closing time. They also kindly tipped us off about other music-related attractions in London like Denmark St. and the Beatles Walk. The only thing that really wowed us was the holographic concert footage at the end. It gets an extra star because at least we got to walk around the O2 and take the cablecar. We really wanted to love it but didn't. Check it out of you're there anyway but don't make a special trip. More for casual fans than true devotees.

1  Thank George G
Reviewed March 19, 2014

Being big music fans we were excited about going to see the British Music Experience and we did enjoy it on the whole. It was really quiet when we visited so we were able to have a good look around without fighting through crowds of people to look at things. The disappointing thing was that a number of the interactive exhibits were not working and for me I was hoping that there would be much more on the era of Brit pop - very little mention of bands such as Oasis, Stone Roses, The Verve, etc. So good but not quite as good as it could have been

Reviewed March 13, 2014

My wife liked the BME especially the costumes and the area you can play instruments. I liked the displays too but personally these days I can get all the imagery online so museums like this need to work harder to make it worth visiting. For me there were too many snippets and not enough real in-depth information to soak up. It also seemed to miss out indie bands and nothing recent was represented...well that not true as Adeles costume was there.
It was ok.

Reviewed March 11, 2014

Anyone with an interest in music should visit this attraction, there is a wealth of memorabilia and music trivia housed in the wonderful setting of the O2 Arena. Turn a few dials and record your own experience onto a smart card to download later at your leisure. The only downside is that there aren't enough hours in a day to listen to everything, repeat visits are a must.

3  Thank Dave T