“For a hostel it was acceptable.”

Palmers Lodge Hillspring
Ranked #43 of 895 Specialty Lodging in London
Reviewed February 7, 2013

Well where shall I begin... The staff are very friendly and helpful and the rooms fulfilled our requirements however in the morning we were abruptly awoken several times due to loud noise made from groups in the corridor outside of our room. Breakfast was also an issue the choice is very very limited... Although considering the costs we were not expecting much. The location is also not very convenient. Every attraction we travelled to required us to get onto the tube or take a taxi which increased the money we spent. Next time we go we're going to stay some where a bit more expensive but in a more convenient area due to this.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Esther M, Manager at Palmers Lodge Hillspring, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2013

Dear Paul

Thank you for your review. We are pleased to read that you had a good stay at our taking into account that is not a hotel and of course, the price. Our breakfast includes three types of cereal, milk, croissants, toast, jams and butter and well as unlimited juice and hot drinks, we think that is pretty good value considering that it’s free and that our low season rates can go as little as £15 per person in a 4 bed dorm.

There are newer reviews for Palmers Lodge Hillspring

Reviewed January 14, 2013

I have stayed here twice when visiting london and it is the best hostel I have ever stayed in. I have been all over the world and stayed in many terrible hostels and it is a joy to find this place. It is by far the cleanest hostel I have stayed in where bathrooms are cleaned hourly with plenty of showers and toilets on each floor. The staff are very welcoming and have always worked on my requests.

There is a free breakfast every morning though it serves basics such as cornflakes and milk however it does the job. I stayed in a 22 bed dorm and a ten and they were both good. Each bed gets its own curtain to retain some privacy which is good and there is storage space for each person.

The only problem i had with the hostel was that it takes on large groups of german teenagers which can make the cafeteria and bar quite busy. Apart from that I would recommend this place and i doubt you will find better value for money in london.

Jonathan G

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Esther M, Manager at Palmers Lodge Hillspring, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2013

Dear Jonathan

Thank you for your positive review. We are very glad to learn that you enjoy staying at our hostel and that you rank us so high up on your list.

School groups stay in hostels all over Europe, we are very strict with the ones we take so they tend to be very well behaved. Having said that, we will love to have a higher ratio of independent travellers, so please keep spreading the word!.

We appreciate that school groups can occasionally make the dining area busy early in the mornings, but they don’t tend to stay more than 30 minutes and quickly leave to explore London. As our dining area is open from 7:30am - 10am and from 5:30pm until midnight there are plenty of opportunities for our independent guests to enjoy this space on the own.

Reviewed January 11, 2013

Although quite a distance from London it is still in Zone 2 so the fares to central london are reasonably priced.
The rooms are much cheaper than most hostels and are comfortable to. I stayed in a four bed dorm and they have lockers to lock your goods up so the security situation is very good.
The bar area is excellent and serves great food at an affordable price.
The Wifi is fast and free to use making communication with friends and family excellent.
I have stayed here prior to this visit in a ten bed dorm and would avoid the downstairs dorms as the noise from the outside bar area carries and the rolling of luggage up and down the ramps can be very irritating. Always book the four bed dorms as they are much quiter and you will get better value in the way of a better nights sleep.
Staff are very helpful and go out of their way to accomodate any requests.
Would recommend this hostel to anyone and would stay here again

Room Tip: Choose a four bed dorm if you can
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Esther M, Manager at Palmers Lodge Hillspring, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2013

Dear Himhop

Thank you for your positive review. We are very happy to read that had enjoyed your stay at Hillspring Lodge. We hope to see you at our hostel in the near future.

Reviewed November 24, 2012

Palmer's was perfect for my travel partner and I. Outside the city a bit but not a far walk to the metro station. Clean rooms, helpful, friendly staff, internet, and free breakfast. The bar was great and the dinner menu was decently priced. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: The lockers in the dorm style rooms are a bit too small for backpacks (mine was 60L and did not fit...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Esther M, Manager at Palmers Lodge Hillspring, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2012

Dear Worldtraveler1988

Thank you for your encouraging review. We are glad that you found our accommodation and our services to your satisfaction. We hope to see you back in the hostel very soon.

Reviewed November 10, 2012

I had the most fun staying at this hostel! It was my first hostel experience ever and I had no idea what to expect! I stayed with a friend in a 10 bed mixed dorm. We occasionally got some rowdy room mates but they never stayed more than a day or two. Other than that our room was pretty quiet. I also loved how each bed had its own locker and curtain. The curtains provided a sense of privacy, which is fantastic, especially in a dorm with so many people.

The hostel itself was a 10-15 minute walk to the nearest tube station. I never minded the walk though, as I was often accompanied by a friend. And it did help that I really loved the neighborhood

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Esther M, Manager at Palmers Lodge Hillspring, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2012

Dear Jamie

Thank you for your enthusiastic review. We are delighted to learn that you had a fantastic time at Hillspring Lodge Hostel and that you made the most of the place and the area. We hope to see you back at the hostel whenever you visit London next.

Reviewed November 7, 2012

We stayed for two nights in one of the private rooms in the hostel. We had some difficulties finding the hostel at first because it's quite a walk from the Willesden Green Metro station (5-10 mins) and it was raining heavily. But it's England, so the weather can't bother you :)

Upon arrival we got a brief explanation about the hostel, wifi, breakfast, etc. Standard explanation but very friendly. Always nice to have free wifi somewhere.

The rooms were very tidy, nothing to add to that. But the room we were in, was probably next to or below the the kitchen, so it was a bit noisy. It didn't bother us much.

What did bother us, was that someone appeared to be vaccuum cleaning on the hallway at 7 in the morning. Strange moment to start cleaning the rooms. We do not bother about noise caused by other travelers since the hotel can't really do anything about it.

Breakfast was basic but good. The restaurant is a nice place to socialize and meet other people. Just take a seat somewhere, always people around.

Apart from that it is a decent and spacious hostel and an easy stay if you're in Londen for a couple of days.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Bram_Hor

Dear Bram Hor

Thank you for your positive review. We are very happy to read that you were pleased with pretty much every aspect of your stay at Hillspring Lodge. I am intrigued about your mention of someone vacuum cleaning the hallway at 7am. Housekeeping doesn’t start to service accommodation areas until 11am (after check-out) and it’s only after they have changed and serviced all the beds and rooms that they vacuum the hallways. I wonder if perhaps someone in one of the neighbouring rooms decided to use blow-dryer that given the time of the day made more noise than normal.

In any case, if you have the time please let me know the details of your stay (name, reservation number and dates) so I can look into it with the relevant staff to avoid these issues in the future.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

My room was clean and quiet, I found the same for the showers and toilets. Was a bit surprised that despite staying in a 4 bed female room, the showers were communal. Luckily they were quiet while I was there. I probably wouldn't stay here again, as a lone female I didn't feel safe walking from the tube stop to the hostel by myself, I had a couple of instances with groups of men saying things to me on the walk back. Once inside the hostel itself I felt safe. The area, Willsden Green was extremely dull, nothing appeared to be open besides newsagents and fried chicken caffs, not an area I'd be tempted to hang out in, so I tended to leave as early as possible in the morning and return after spending the day away (not too late as I was worried about walking home alone). I stayed for 3 nights for £75, which was good value, I'd stay somewhere more central next time.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Esther M, Manager at Palmers Lodge Hillspring, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2012

Dear MsMitford

Thank you for your review. We are glad to learn that you liked the accommodation and the facilities provided at the hostel. Although I can see how many (not so central) neighbourhoods in London can seem a bit daunting (next to something like Piccadilly Circus) we are very surprised to read that you felt unsafe in the area; most of our female staff uses Willesden Green Station to get to the hostel and have never reported anything similar.

We have been in touch with the neighbourhood patrol to report your feedback, they have assured us that other than the sporadic group of teenagers, the area remains one of the quietest in London but they have promised to keep an eye for any irregular behaviour.

Many thanks