“Decent hostel at an affordable price”

Palmers Lodge Hillspring
Ranked #43 of 837 Specialty Lodging in London
Victoria, Australia
“Decent hostel at an affordable price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

Although quite a distance from London it is still in Zone 2 so the fares to central london are reasonably priced.
The rooms are much cheaper than most hostels and are comfortable to. I stayed in a four bed dorm and they have lockers to lock your goods up so the security situation is very good.
The bar area is excellent and serves great food at an affordable price.
The Wifi is fast and free to use making communication with friends and family excellent.
I have stayed here prior to this visit in a ten bed dorm and would avoid the downstairs dorms as the noise from the outside bar area carries and the rolling of luggage up and down the ramps can be very irritating. Always book the four bed dorms as they are much quiter and you will get better value in the way of a better nights sleep.
Staff are very helpful and go out of their way to accomodate any requests.
Would recommend this hostel to anyone and would stay here again

Room Tip: Choose a four bed dorm if you can
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Esther M, Manager at Palmers Lodge Hillspring, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Dear Himhop

Thank you for your positive review. We are very happy to read that had enjoyed your stay at Hillspring Lodge. We hope to see you at our hostel in the near future.

Kind regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Destin, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2012

Palmer's was perfect for my travel partner and I. Outside the city a bit but not a far walk to the metro station. Clean rooms, helpful, friendly staff, internet, and free breakfast. The bar was great and the dinner menu was decently priced. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: The lockers in the dorm style rooms are a bit too small for backpacks (mine was 60L and did not fit...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Esther M, Manager at Palmers Lodge Hillspring, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear Worldtraveler1988

Thank you for your encouraging review. We are glad that you found our accommodation and our services to your satisfaction. We hope to see you back in the hostel very soon.

Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012

I had the most fun staying at this hostel! It was my first hostel experience ever and I had no idea what to expect! I stayed with a friend in a 10 bed mixed dorm. We occasionally got some rowdy room mates but they never stayed more than a day or two. Other than that our room was pretty quiet. I also loved how each bed had its own locker and curtain. The curtains provided a sense of privacy, which is fantastic, especially in a dorm with so many people.

The hostel itself was a 10-15 minute walk to the nearest tube station. I never minded the walk though, as I was often accompanied by a friend. And it did help that I really loved the neighborhood

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Esther M, Manager at Palmers Lodge Hillspring, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Dear Jamie

Thank you for your enthusiastic review. We are delighted to learn that you had a fantastic time at Hillspring Lodge Hostel and that you made the most of the place and the area. We hope to see you back at the hostel whenever you visit London next.

Best regards
Ghent, Belgium
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

We stayed for two nights in one of the private rooms in the hostel. We had some difficulties finding the hostel at first because it's quite a walk from the Willesden Green Metro station (5-10 mins) and it was raining heavily. But it's England, so the weather can't bother you :)

Upon arrival we got a brief explanation about the hostel, wifi, breakfast, etc. Standard explanation but very friendly. Always nice to have free wifi somewhere.

The rooms were very tidy, nothing to add to that. But the room we were in, was probably next to or below the the kitchen, so it was a bit noisy. It didn't bother us much.

What did bother us, was that someone appeared to be vaccuum cleaning on the hallway at 7 in the morning. Strange moment to start cleaning the rooms. We do not bother about noise caused by other travelers since the hotel can't really do anything about it.

Breakfast was basic but good. The restaurant is a nice place to socialize and meet other people. Just take a seat somewhere, always people around.

Apart from that it is a decent and spacious hostel and an easy stay if you're in Londen for a couple of days.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Bram_Hor
Dear Bram Hor

Thank you for your positive review. We are very happy to read that you were pleased with pretty much every aspect of your stay at Hillspring Lodge. I am intrigued about your mention of someone vacuum cleaning the hallway at 7am. Housekeeping doesn’t start to service accommodation areas until 11am (after check-out) and it’s only after they have changed and serviced all the beds and rooms that they vacuum the hallways. I wonder if perhaps someone in one of the neighbouring rooms decided to use blow-dryer that given the time of the day made more noise than normal.

In any case, if you have the time please let me know the details of your stay (name, reservation number and dates) so I can look into it with the relevant staff to avoid these issues in the future.

Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

My room was clean and quiet, I found the same for the showers and toilets. Was a bit surprised that despite staying in a 4 bed female room, the showers were communal. Luckily they were quiet while I was there. I probably wouldn't stay here again, as a lone female I didn't feel safe walking from the tube stop to the hostel by myself, I had a couple of instances with groups of men saying things to me on the walk back. Once inside the hostel itself I felt safe. The area, Willsden Green was extremely dull, nothing appeared to be open besides newsagents and fried chicken caffs, not an area I'd be tempted to hang out in, so I tended to leave as early as possible in the morning and return after spending the day away (not too late as I was worried about walking home alone). I stayed for 3 nights for £75, which was good value, I'd stay somewhere more central next time.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Esther M, Manager at Palmers Lodge Hillspring, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Dear MsMitford

Thank you for your review. We are glad to learn that you liked the accommodation and the facilities provided at the hostel. Although I can see how many (not so central) neighbourhoods in London can seem a bit daunting (next to something like Piccadilly Circus) we are very surprised to read that you felt unsafe in the area; most of our female staff uses Willesden Green Station to get to the hostel and have never reported anything similar.

We have been in touch with the neighbourhood patrol to report your feedback, they have assured us that other than the sporadic group of teenagers, the area remains one of the quietest in London but they have promised to keep an eye for any irregular behaviour.

Many thanks
Prague, Czech Republic
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

I have stayed 6 nights in this hostel with my friend and unfortunatelly, we both were very dissapointed. Poor breakfast, small room, dirty and stinky toilets - and the worst thing ever - very rude people working the desk. The staff here was rude beyond anything I have ever experienced.(Except for blond girl from New Zeland - she was the only one polite and kind). We got the terrible smelling towels, one of them was perforated.... I was so upset by my stay there .....
Arrrgh... Just two words, never ever ever again !

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank Josephine Marce... M
Hi Josephine

Many thanks for getting back to me with further details. I would like to apologise on behalf of the company, we take great pride in our customer service at Hillspring Lodge and as a result of your complaint, the members of staff you were referring to will be subjected to a severe disciplinary action.

We have also asked our room service team to inspect closely the towels that are provided to guests from now on, as this is provided by an outsourced company they tend to assume that everything is in pristine condition.

Again, we are very sorry to learn that you didn’t have the best of impressions of your stay at our hostel and we would like to offer you a free stay if you wish to give us another chance.

Paris, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

I stayed at this hostel for 2 night in a 14 bed female dorm and 2 other nights at 18 bed mixed dorm. I have nothing bad to say. 2 nights at the girls dorm were calm, my roommates were very nice, didnt make noise at nights and let us sleep in mornings. The other 2 nights at 18 bed mixed dorm weren't nice because of disgusting smell of boys socks and sweat! Besides some of my roommates weren't polite enough, turned on the light in the middle of the night, made lots of noise and farted.

The huge "minus' of the hostel is tens and tens of students from german schools, which means 24 hours noise, they run up and down the stairs, around all halls, restaurant, make noise and more noise! Be ready to stay hungry in evenings because if students have dinner, all other guests don't get any meal, the kitchen works only for students! We had to go somewhere around the area and buy food in supermarkets or in pakistani cafes. I don't know why teachers and the staff allow students to stay at the restaurant and drink beer after 8 or 9 pm.... Sometimes the other guests want to sit down on the couch, buy pizza or salad, talk to each other and it was always impossible, because students occupy all couches and chairs, play billiards, scream and coarse laugh.... After a busy day it was impossible to relax, enjoy beer and food, have a conversation with the others. I can't say I had a nice time there, i always felt tired because of noise from students.

But still the hostel is one of the best i've ever stayed, I liked the idea with lockers under the beds and curtains on the beds for privacy! Awesome! All bathrooms were always clean. The staff were REALLY nice and helpfull.
I will definitely stay there again if I come to London! Hopefully next time i won't see students there ;)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank NNaama
Esther M, Manager at Palmers Lodge Hillspring, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Dear Natalia

Thank you so much for your feedback. We are very pleased to read that you were very looked after by our staff and that you liked the hostel and our facilities. As for school groups staying with us, fortunately most of them are very well behaved but occasionally we get some kids that can cause some noise. In those instances, the best thing is to ask our front desk staff to interfere; they can contact the group leader immediately as leaders are very good at making sure that they behave so they can stay with us again. Although is true that we occasionally have to close the restaurant for an unusually large group (simply on the basis of space) we make sure that we put notices in place for guests to be aware of this in the morning. I am sorry that you felt that there wasn’t enough culinary choice in the neighbourhood; our staff should have mentioned that Willesden has a very nice pub, a great deli and a fantastic Japanese restaurant just a few meters from the station (all really good value). Not to mention Queens Park (12 minutes’ walk from the hostel) with its many cute cafes and gastro pubs.

Hillspring Lodge has two large common rooms and the one next to back garden is full of comfy couches and is not frequented by groups. Furthermore groups under 18 years old are not allowed in the bar after 9pm.