“Superb local restaurant”
Review of Zeret Kitchen

Zeret Kitchen
Reserve with OpenTable
Zeret Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 22,675 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Ethiopian
Dining options: Late Night, Buffet, Reservations
Description: Lovers of Ethiopian cuisine and adventurous foodies will appreciate this bright, clean and modern restaurant in Camberwell that prides itself on its family recipes and dedication to authentic Ethiopian traditions. Zeret itself is a name that comes from a small village in northern Ethiopia, and the menu includes mostly chicken, lamb and beef stews made with butter, garlic and ginger served on pancake-like flatbread called enjera. All the food here is delicious, and the dining room is decorated with colourful placemats, potted palms and simple white walls. Perfect for communal/sharing meals with friends and family, the Zeret Kitchen has attentive staff and a relaxed atmosphere ��� don't miss the Ethiopian style chicken cooked with green chillies, herbs and spices.
“Superb local restaurant”
Reviewed March 30, 2014

Restaurant busy even on Sunday evening and I can see why. Excellent food, service and value. Unpretentious, authentic, delicious food served in a homely manner with genuine care. I hope this place continues to thrive and will look forward to returning.

1 Thank phaseur

• Polish first
kent
“Amazing experience”
Reviewed March 30, 2014

I am very weary of trying out new foods but agreed to go along with a friend to try out this place she highly recommended. It paid off very well, first of all I was made to feel very welcome by the waitress whilst waiting for my friends to arrive. She was a lovely woman who gave me an overview of what to expect from the food, & poured me a lovely glass of rose (cost was v cheap). Our meals came and we were blown away by how lovely it tasted. I had spicy chicken & a big appetite but I couldn't finish it! Throughout there was great service and price was very cheap. It was an amazing experience, I cannot wait to go again, I have been craving it all week! Would def make a great first date :)

1 Thank Kim P
“Amazing taste”
Reviewed March 29, 2014

My girlfriend and I went to Zeret for our anniversary (24th February 2014) because of the high rating of the restaurant on TripAdvisor. First, I can't say that the place is romantic; outside it looks like a bar, and it has little charm. Inside is more looked after, but it isn't a venue that impresses you for the setting.
However, when it comes to the food, it's a different story. I took one of their typical dishes, with their flat bread upon which you have to put all their sauces. It was amazing. Simple but original, and a totally different taste from those I am used to. The ingredients were nothing special, you can find them in every store, but the feeling and the experience were unique.
Total price in the region of £30.00. It seems cheap, but we simply ordered a main dish each, we drank tap water and we had one dessert. In a word: reasonable.
Really worth visiting!

• Visited February 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Welcoming atmosphere with vegan options :)”
Reviewed March 29, 2014

I have been before and loved it so thought I'd introduce some friends to Ethiopian food.

There's always a worry when introducing people to somewhere you love that's a bit different that they'll hate it and originally, being the only customers, magnified that worry. However, it soon filled up with lots of hungry customers...despite being a Wednesday evening!

The price is great; I paid £15 including the tip.
Soft drinks about £2, wine about £4.
The vegetarian selection dish was £10 per person and stuffs you full.

I would recommend sharing a vegetarian selection dish on your first visit. It comes on one big plate (of bread) from which you eat with your hands.

When we ordered the vegetarian dish the lady, who I assume is the owner, asked if we were vegetarian or vegan. I am vegan and so appreciated the confirmation that what I was ordering was suitable for me.

It is a very relaxed atmosphere, so maybe don't come if you're looking for a quick meal or with company you don't enjoy. This is the perfect place for first dates, catch ups with friends or trying a new cuisine; when you want to sit, eat, drink and chat for a few hours.

The only 2 things I would improve would be 1. Label the vegan items 2. Toilet decor. However the staff are knowledgeable as to what is vegan and the toilet is clean, just shabby, so neither massive problems.

Next time I will be having the coffee ceremony and trying proper, fresh, coffee!

Thank you Zeret!

“Amazing service”
Reviewed March 26, 2014 via mobile

We went to Zeret (25/03/14) for a friends Birthday. Although the food did take a little time to come, it was worth the wait. The owner of the restaurant (lady) has an amazing customer service skills. She was like our mum. Very patient with us considering we were very fusy young Londoners. We ordered the "main special" for 2 but 4 people shared the plater which I thought was very small so please only share it for 2 as suggested. We finished all our sauces and she gave us some vegetarian sides which was AMAZING!!!!!!!!!. Please order the vege dishes as they are full of flavors.
We plan on revisiting but will order rice instead of the "pancake" as the taste was very unique to my buds. Still very delicious

Visited March 2014