“Three tours, zero regrets. ”

SANDEMANs NEW Europe - London
Book In Advance
More Info
$20.13*
and up
2.5 Hour London East End and Shoreditch Street...
Ranked #4 of 1,318 Nightlife in London
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: We offer a free walking tour of London, which allows everyone, no matter of budget, to fully discover the most visited city in Europe. Our expert guides share with you their personal stories and insights during an intriguing, 2.5 - 3 hour English or Spanish language overview walking tour. The Free Tour starts daily at 10am, 11am, and 1pm in front of the Apple Store in Covent Garden.
Reviewed October 16, 2013 via mobile

I made de free tour with Josh, which was pretty funny and had some very interesting facts, the same day I did the Old City tour and I can't remember the name of the guide but he was tall and loud and he knew A LOT of history, so it was very fascinating. Late other night I did the Grim Ripper tour with Stephanie, she was so lovely and funny and she interpreted the stories pretty well, making me laugh hard some times even though the theme is kind of creepy.

Write a ReviewReviews (13,838)
All reviews
"great stories"
in 66 reviews
"buckingham palace"
in 224 reviews
"highly recommend this tour"
in 83 reviews
in 64 reviews
"trafalgar square"
in 117 reviews

Reviewed October 16, 2013

the tour was great full of enjoyment. my tour guide was called Greg and he was great. he brought the tour to life and really helped us gain a wider knowledge of the city. I wish I had time to do mmore of his tours. Just excellent!

Reviewed October 15, 2013

I do not want to disclose the name of our guide, who actually did a fantastic job despite the circumstances. My complaint is to the management. Worried about the distance I had to travel on public transit, I emailed in advance, “if I am a few minutes late, do I head towards Buckingham Palace to catch up?” The response was: “I am sorry it is not possible to join the tour”. Now I know the ugly truth. You cannot join the tour if you miss the 1st few minutes because they take a picture of the group so management can count how many people to charge the guide for! (FYI the answer to my question is that the group doesn’t actually leave the meeting spot for 15-30 minutes.)

AsI said, we had a great guide. But we had to leave the tour before it was over (because I assumed it was going to end on time and made other plans). He was going so slow! We had a huge, unwieldy group of 45 people – and he didn’t want to lose anyone because then he would lose the money he had to pay since they were counted in the picture. I felt so bad for him – a victim of the management – that we tipped him well for our free, albeit partial tour. He had many people drop off without paying.

In this case, I did regret my decision to go on this tour – even though I had a positive experience with Sandemans in Italy. Therefore my advice would be: pay for a tour and get what you pay for.

If you doubt what I am reporting, then please google it. You can find a pdf at the neweuropetours website that states, “freelance guides are billed between €1-€3 per person on the free tour, with the average being approx €2.20 per person.”

2  Thank Folsom5outback
Mark Q, Guest Relations Manager at SANDEMANs NEW Europe - London, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2014

Hi Folsom,

thank you for your review, and sorry we couldn't have made your experience a better one. You are right that we managed the day's events poorly, although there are a few points which we would like to correct.

We shouldn't have started late. We aim to start exactly on time which is why you were advised not to come if you were running late. Fortunately, we manage this on the vast majority of days, but during particularly busy times, it is clear that the team in London still have work to do. Guides themselves decide how many people to take on their tours, and face the balance between keeping group sizes small and turning people away. Again, had we scheduled enough guides to meet demand, we could have avoided this, and we take full responsibility again. Any photos we take are for the guests and for facebook though; there are far easier ways to count people should we need to.

Whatever the details may be, you joined us in London left disappointed. This is clearly not our goal and we hope only that you accept our apologies, and that we one day get the chance to make this right by you, by offering you a fantastic tour. Until then, all the best, and thanks for your review.

Mark, Sandemans

Reviewed October 15, 2013

In the summer during my travels through Europe and the UK, i was in London and took the free walking tour, Greg showed us his city and because of him London will be one of the most memorable parts of my travels

See more reviews
Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

I found the guide I had back in August to be bland. I took the "general" London free tour (the one that visits mostly royal sites). The guide was a Brit and didn't really seem that interested in the history of it all. She didn't know any anecdotes or nuances about a few key things when I tried to ask her about them.

Also, I felt there were way too many plugs for the "paid" Sandeman tours. I later did the Paris tour and don't find they relied nearly as heavily on advertising their side tours as the London tour did.

Overall, it's a good way to see London's main sights if you're in a pinch, but next time I would personally pay for a similar tour with one of the other major companies.

3  Thank marktwothousand