“Great pub, great place to sit and relax”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Devonshire Arms - CLOSED

Devonshire Arms
Cuisines: Bar, Pub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating
Neighborhood: Soho
Cork, Ireland
“Great pub, great place to sit and relax”
Reviewed February 14, 2014

Fantastic comfortable pub, with a warm friendly atmosphere lots of beer on tap, food looked nice too. Proper English pub with proper English beer spent a real enjoyable afternoon drinking and talking and relaxing with friends, closing soon for refurb hope they don't ruin it

Visited February 2014
1 Thank robkmurf

Herne Bay, United Kingdom
“DISGRACEFUL”
Reviewed December 2, 2012

Strange little pub with a wide cross-section of customers. Unfortunately we were served by a tall dark haired estern european who had the most appauling attitude and was around 25. He poured a large bottle of tonic into my vodka - i said i didnt want all the tonic & that I should be able to pour it myself - he replied that I didnt know anything, thats the way drinks are poured - he then turned very arrogant and said what do you know - have you worked behind a bar? Funnily enough I said yes I have 26 years experience of bar work plus I with my partner own a pub and hotel. He said well thats the way your drink is served here. Luckily we found this quite amusing having someone half our age telling us how to do something we were doing before he was born! Needless to say we walked out.

• Visited December 2012
Spirit P, Guest Relations Manager at Devonshire Arms, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Dear mapw284,

Thank you for your review, we are sorry to hear of the way you were spoken to whilst visiting the Devonshire Arms and have asked our management team to investigate.

We have also sent you a direct message to discuss your comments further.

Many Thanks
Taylor Walker
Norwich, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“All good things must come to an end”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

It was a brisk November morning, and I was wandering through a vibrant Soho with a beautiful girl on my arm and the smell of petrol fumes filling the air from the engines of the London to Brighton Veteran Car Race. Life was sublime. What more could the modern man want? I truly had it all, and I took a moment to think about just how generous life had been to me.

Before we knew it, it was midday, and the time had come to top off a blissful day with the perfect lunch. The possibilities were endless; however, it was my curiosity and desire for something really special that led me to the Devonshire Arms. From the outside, it was a true London pub; the kind of place Jack the Ripper might have knocked back a couple of a Jagerbombs before heading out for a night on the skank. There was no doubt in my mind that we'd each find a Ploughman's meal to our liking and enjoy the great service which English pubs of this type have always been proud of.

I approached the bar with confidence and, quite frankly, an adorable smile. To my surprise, I was greeted not with a "hello", but with a request for IDs from the both of us. I would have appreciated this request, had I been older than 20 years of age and actually asked for a drink, but I must say that on this occasion it was an entirely unnecessary confrontation. Needless to say, we had both suffered a blow to the self esteem, but regained our composure and proceeded upstairs to find a quiet table for two.

In some ways, ordering a meal at the Devonshire Arms was a comforting experience, because after completing this task, we could be sure that the most difficult part of our day had passed. Unfortunately though, this was not due to an over abundance of choice, but because the establishment had not, on this occasion, managed to secure any jacket potatoes or chicken, which severely limited our options. It is fair to say that, had we been made aware of this abject failure prior to settling at our table, it would have been easier to take for both of us. Luckily, we are both forgiving people and I managed to persuade my Swedish companion to give this pokey British pub a second chance. After all, it is often under the most adverse of circumstances that the greatest memories are made, and I quietly, hopefully clutched onto this thought.

We both changed our original jacket potato based choices to seafood filled baguettes with chips, and after making my second trip down to the bar, the ordeal was surely over. We engaged in conversation and attempted to take our minds off the the fact that I had clearly chosen a substandard establishment to form the centrepiece of our otherwise enjoyable day.

The wait for our meals was not long, nor short, but was in my mind an adequate length of time for kitchen staff to produce two good quality baguettes. Much to our dismay, however, the meals turned up in the form of one baguette and one brown, sliced bread sandwich. The fish finger baguette was of fair quality (though by no means worthy of £5.49), but the "King Prawn Sandwich" truly acted as a stark reminder of Europe's diminishing fish stocks, employing a shock tactic of scattered prawns juxtaposed against limp, lifeless bread. The employee who served this scene of pure terror was quick to reassure us that there would be no price difference, which was not entirely what I had hoped to hear. An offer of free drinks was mumbled half-heartedly by our waiter as he left, but unfortunately by the time we had finished our meal(s), we felt no desire to remain in the establishment for a moment longer than we needed and consequently this offer was never fulfilled.

Throughout our meal, it was hard to disregard the obvious fact that the perfect day had now slipped from our grasp. The only English sentiment that could be experienced in the Devonshire Arms was that of school dinners, and the friendly and honest attitude which is so typical of British pubs had clearly been lost on the staff serving us. We left swiftly and tried to put the experience behind us; however, our time at the Devonshire Arms was enough to deter us from dining in London again in the evening.

To keep this review short, I will sum up my experience in one word: Heartbreaking.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank Rich508
Spirit P, Guest Relations Manager at Devonshire Arms, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear Rich508,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your review, we are sorry to hear how your visit to the Devonshire Arms affected the rest of your day, we have asked our management team to investigate the issues you have raised.

We have also sent you a direct message to discuss your comments further.

Many Thanks
Taylor Walker
“Good servise”
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Good servise and Good beer. Their musics are also fine. If you come Piccadilly you must visit here. Try Stella artos.

“Rude rude rude!”
Reviewed September 9, 2012

My girlfriends and I visited this pub for an early drink before going out. We waited at the bar for at least 15 minutes before we were served and we were only served because there was no one else at the bar to serve before us. We were polite and well mannered and just waited for our chance to give our orders. One of the bartenders was told by another patron ordering a drink that we were there before him but, the bartender didn't care and continued to take his order. I would NEVER go there again... The Australian bartender finally took our order after serving about 10 people ahead of us (that came to the bar after us) and we had one drink and left. We did not eat here but I won't be going back to test the food/service again.

2 Thank Nothappyy