“Simply outstanding”

Petrus
Ranked #108 of 22,557 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Belgravia
Description: Renowned throughout London and beyond, Petrus is one of the biggest names on the restaurant scene. With the world-renowned Gordon Ramsay behind the scheme to raise Petrus - now located on Knightsbridge's Kinnerton Street - from the ashes, the restaurant exudes the famous Ramsay sense of luxury combined with down-to-earth charm. Decorated in subtle tones of champagne, oyster and copper along with the claret red which inspired the restaurant's name, Petrus's beguiling interior is superbly decadent and romantic and actually quite intimate. In the kitchen, Head Chef Larry Jayasekara is creating its trademark modern French menu. At Petrus the highest-quality ingredients go into dishes that combine delicious familiar flavours with unique presentation. Expect waves of divine amuse-bouches and a stupendous wine list, including a long list of vintages of Petrus to make it all perfect.
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
“Simply outstanding”
Reviewed April 30, 2014

Gordon Ramsay was able to effectively converge all premises most modern and creative Chefs would think of. The best delicacy dishes are served in portions to satisfy with elegancy. The cool and light ambiance brings good balance to an expected classy expensive dinner. Service to the approximately 15 tables only is very efficient but not to the point to inconveniently take the party’s intimacy. The Chef and his 18 crew members prepared dishes, one-by-one from zero, just in time to make our chat timing pleasurable. When back to wide option of restaurants London offers we’ll surely break our ‘policy’ and will repeat the experience.

Visited April 2014

• Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
“simply the best”
Reviewed April 29, 2014

most definitely the most amazingly beautiful food i have ever eaten,every dish on the tasting menu was cooked to perfection and tasted like heaven,i wanted the meal to go on forever.....my bf took me as a birthday treat,we arrived on the latest booking and never felt rushed, we were there for nearly 3hours and the waiters were fantastic,made us feel at ease and even had a few jokes,what a great way to run a restaurant, i thought i would feel intimidated as i usually avoid this kind of restaurant but they were fantastic in every aspect,i hope to revisit again very soon,thank you all x if i could give more stars i would !

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank smudgie1313
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Great Dinner experience with some minor flaws”
Reviewed April 29, 2014

Came with my girlfriend for a romantic dinner experience. The beginning wasn't the best experience, as it felt very rushed. We weren't offered to take our aperitif somewhere else than our table. There is a seating arrangement at the entrance for people to have a first drink and sit comfortably.

We hadn't even finished our drinks, when we already got our starter. As mentioned, this all felt a bit rushed at the beginning.

Once we got settled, we had the first bites to eat and started to enjoy our experience. 75 pounds for the Chef Tasting Menu is not too bad for such a restaurant. The wine pairing for another 85 pounds is a bit exaggerated. I have seen restaurants that offer the pairing at different price ranges. It would be nice to have that option so that for each dish you can enjoy the "correct" wine without spending hell of a lot of money. We chose a decent bottle of wine which probably originally cost around 20-30% of the price in the restaurant. I don't think the pairing should be more expensive than the food itself.

Our table was right next to the sofas next to the entrance. This wasn't a problem at first, but became one when a bigger group was seated there. Despite their table being ready, they wanted to take their drink there (which I can understand, would have wanted the same). Nothing wrong with that, but they were so loud. They couldn't care less that there were other people trying to enjoy their food.
We mentioned it to the manager who acknowledged that it was a bit loud. A bit later he nudged the group nicely to go to their table. They were still loud, luckily at the other site of the restaurant.

The food started a bit weak. We were missing some flavour impact in the canapés and the first dish. But it just got better and better. The main and the dessert/cheese platter were delicious.

At the very end we were offered a kitchen tour. We took advantage of that and it was a nice finish to the overall experience.

The service was good, the food overall was good. With the noise issue at the beginning, I would have expected at least the coffee to be on the house. But on the other hand, the manager took care of the problem straight away.

Overall rating of 4, as I think entrance area and restaurant should be better separated. The food was great, but the first bites to eat were "only" good. The wine is way to expensive, even for this restaurant. We had a good experience and would recommend it.

2 Thank David_Cologne82
London, United Kingdom
“Theatrical Elegance and Wonderful Food”
Reviewed April 29, 2014

This is one of the best restaurants I have had the pleasure of dining in, ever. From the outside it looks clean and tidy- it is when you step through the door does the theatre begin. From the circular wine display in the centre of the restaurant to the elegant themed colours, the staff and the way in which they make everything they serve to you and do for you an experience to remember. The food is wonderful- presentation and delivery excellent- if you are coming to London it is well worth making the effort to book. This is theatrical elegance without the ridiculous price tag. Will we go again, of course we will.

2 Thank anne s
Manila, Philippines
“Reasonably-priced fine-dining experience with delightful, friendly service”
Reviewed April 28, 2014 via mobile

I made lunch reservations here for my last day in London and it made for an unforgettable experience. I was awed by the interestingly circular layout of the dining room and appreciated that it was suffused with natural lighting as it was a beautiful day when I visited. I was given a lovely seat next to the wine cellar and the lady who seated me gave me a menu and briefly explained the various sets that I could choose from.

For my starter, I had the baked carbonara, which was a beautifully-executed deconstruction of the classic Italian dish. The egg yolk confit was perfectly done, its membrane easily giving way underneath the gentle pressure of the knife, gently bathing the entire dish in a glorious golden puddle. The roast poussin made for a delightful spring entree, its meat moist and tender underneath a wonderfully seared, crispy skin. The grains of pearl barley that it was resting on were cooked just right, and the spring vegetable consommé poured atop the dish was intensely thick with flavor. The whole meal was delightfully concluded by salted caramel doughnuts that were dense and stuffed with a filling that had the right balance of sweet and salty. A small bowl of cremé anglaise with some chopped green apple provided a mild break from the doughnuts' strong flavors, and the saucer with cinnamon-flavored sugar was most helpful towards optimizing one's enjoyment of the doughnuts. I should also mention that they gave me extra doughnuts. Most generous!

My server, William, was also such a delight! He gamely let me practice my French and was such a gentleman: holding out my coat for me, presenting me with a petité canelle in an adorable gift box, and even kissed my hand before he bade me adieu. Out of all my meals in London, lunch at Petrus was the most memorable.

1 Thank Sergia S