“Very good but......”

Cuisines: European
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Belgravia
Description: Renowned throughout London and beyond, Petrus is one of the biggest names on the restaurant scene. With the world-renowned Gordon Ramsay behind the scheme to raise Petrus - now located on Knightsbridge's Kinnerton Street - from the ashes, the restaurant exudes the famous Ramsay sense of luxury combined with down-to-earth charm. Decorated in subtle tones of champagne, oyster and copper along with the claret red which inspired the restaurant's name, Petrus's beguiling interior is superbly decadent and romantic and actually quite intimate. In the kitchen, Head Chef Larry Jayasekara is creating its trademark modern French menu. At Petrus the highest-quality ingredients go into dishes that combine delicious familiar flavours with unique presentation. Expect waves of divine amuse-bouches and a stupendous wine list, including a long list of vintages of Petrus to make it all perfect.
Bedford, United Kingdom
“Very good but......”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

For most people dining at Petrus will be a an experience much anticipated and therefore hopes will be high - in our case too high perhaps.
I have given four stars because I thought the food was almost faultless and certainly lived up to expectation. Clearly the staff are deservedly proud of working in such a restaurant and they never, at any point, leave you feeling neglected. But it is the service where the whole experience fell short of expectation for me. The style of service is so stuffy that at no point were we made to feel welcome or even particularly comfortable.
I do not think I am unusual in thinking that a dining experience is more than just the taste of the food. I would not repeat the experience or even recommend the restaurant just because after an hour I would have happily given an extra £100 to see a pleasant smile. There are restaurants with equally excellent food but where you are made to feel as if the staff are pleased to see you.

4 Thank HappyStamper1

• Turkish first
Halifax
“Special anniversary meal”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I booked Petrus for our 10th wedding anniversary and we were not disappointed. The food was stunning including all the little extra's - canapes, petit fours etc. The service was second to none and probably the best we have experienced in a restaurant.

Wouldn't hesitate to book again - excellent!

Deniliquin, Australia
“Memorable”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We were staying nearby at The Berkeley and the concierge managed to get us a table for four at the last minute and we were thrilled to be able to walk there and enjoy a wonderful evening. The staff were welcoming and most attentive, we thought the set menu offered very good value at 75 pounds per person, however, the wine list although very extensive was mainly of very expensive wines and if, like us you have a few bottles it does push the bill up considerably. A piece of advice, we should have asked for tap water for the table as our four bottles of still water were very expensive (it is only water, after all!)

We were offered appetisers while having having a pre dinner drink which was a nice touch and the different courses offered many sublime tastes and my main of pork belly was exceptional. Unusually for a restaurant of this calibre there was ample food and I couldn't enjoy the final morsel offered with coffee as I was completely full!

A very memorable visit and I would certainly recommend

Sitges, Spain
“Nothing French about the service. A lovely dining experience”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

As I checked in here Foursquare welcomed me to my first French restaurant. The name may have a French origin, the wines may be French, the food even, the service was definitely not French, because as we all know if you go to a French restaurant in France, especially Paris you are guaranteed to be hacked off by the attitude of the serving staff. While nearly everyone here spoke English with a French accent (even the Germanic looking sommelier) the service was anything but French, impeccable was the only way to describe it.
We went for the chefs menu of 5 courses. The duration of the meal was perfect, a timely break between courses, sufficient attention without being oppressive and excellently executed from pan to late to table. Did I mention the service was excellent?
I think the only downside was the exorbitant charge for alcohol, which exceeded the cost of the meal. I know this is London and I know the tendency is to hike the price of a bottle by 3 to 4 times what you can be charged in the supermarket or online, but this was a little too much here.
All in all though it was a lovely meal and as the staff made it so perfect they deserve to be recognized for it. Perhaps the original French staff can return to Paris and add that important ingredient to the excellent cuisine that can be enjoyed there too.

4 Thank Steve B
London, United Kingdom
“A Christmas Present”
Reviewed July 19, 2013

We were given a voucher for two for a lunchtime 5 Course Tasting Experience at Petrus. It was easy to book by telephone and we were sent reminders by phone and by email as we had booked 3 months in advance.
We were received with a friendly welcome and a decent glass of champagne. We had a good table and the meal was described and presented very well. There was a varied choice of items for all 5 courses and it was all presented in an unhurried way. Really nice food and decent quantities for all courses. The food was delicious but except for the Hazelnut and Frangelico parfait (which was simply superb) I would not say "vow". We were offered additional courses (at extra cost) in addition to the paid for meal but declined as we were rather full.
It was a very pleasant experience - but the sort of place to take your girlfriend or customers to impress!

3 Thank Sohrab E