“Excellent food - not much ambiance”
Review of Petrus

Petrus
Ranked #136 of 23,689 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: European
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Belgravia
Description: Renowned throughout London and beyond, Petrus is one of the biggest names on the restaurant scene. With the world-renowned Gordon Ramsay behind the scheme to raise Petrus - now located on Knightsbridge's Kinnerton Street - from the ashes, the restaurant exudes the famous Ramsay sense of luxury combined with down-to-earth charm. Decorated in subtle tones of champagne, oyster and copper along with the claret red which inspired the restaurant's name, Petrus's beguiling interior is superbly decadent and romantic and actually quite intimate. In the kitchen, Head Chef Larry Jayasekara is creating its trademark modern French menu. At Petrus the highest-quality ingredients go into dishes that combine delicious familiar flavours with unique presentation. Expect waves of divine amuse-bouches and a stupendous wine list, including a long list of vintages of Petrus to make it all perfect.
Reviewed March 23, 2013

We went for lunch and had the set menu along with 1/2 bottle of wine. The food itself was outstanding and the service attentive without being overbearing. I'd certainly recommend a visit at least once if you are in the area.

The one caveat I would have is that there wasn't much of an ambiance even though the restaurant was 2/3 full and it was mainly couples rather than business meetings. It might be different in the evening but we just found the atmosphere all a little cold. We also went to Roux at the Landau that week and the food at Roux's matched that of Petrus and we found the atmosphere at Roux's much more to our liking.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,514)

Reviewed March 21, 2013

Took my husband for his birthday and we had the set menu. I have to say it was the nicest restaurant we have ever been to. The staff were excellent, service we excellent and the good was out of this world. The little extras in between courses were a lovely touch and added to the whole experience. We cannot fault a thing. A definite must go restaurant. We plan to go back for an evening meal.

Reviewed March 20, 2013

We went here after graduation to celebrate, which turned out to be an excellent idea!

Excellent food. Excellent service (attentive and professional). We went for the Chef's menu with wine pairing - highly recommended!

Reviewed March 20, 2013

After reading the reviews on TripAdvisor I took my wife to Petrus for a special occasion and was massively disappointed with the entire experience.

We had a late seating (9:30pm) on a Saturday night and I would advise against this as the majority of staff seemed quite lethargic and we felt we were being rushed from the very start of our meal. The food was ok but neither of us felt it compared to the quality at other London restaurants (Boxwood & Clos Maggiore are streets-head in every way), especially considering you're paying £130 before a drink is ordered. The same said for the atmosphere - disappointing, in that there was none on the evening we visited.

However, this isn't my main complaint. On ordering a cocktail and a vodka & tonic, and our drinks arrived within a few minutes. My wife took one sip of her vodka and she had been given a gin & tonic. Not a big deal in itself, but when I asked our waitress to exchange it she claimed "it was definitely vodka". I was slightly taken aback that she was arguing with me but insisted it was gin and she actually continued her protest with me. Eventually returned to the bar area and brought us the correct order, but this is not the sort of behaviour I would expect from a top establishment.

Judging from the majority of the reviews on here we may have just been unlucky, but with so many options elsewhere we won't be returning to Petrus to find out.

5  Thank NikSurrey
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Sitting at work one quiet afternoon, looking at restaurant reviews, and wondering where to go next for dinner for a pending trip to our glorious captital soon, and of course who should come up as #1 but Petrus, and throughly deserved it is too. To be fair i ate here a few years ago, but at the time never reviewed, but after reading about everybody elses great experience i felt compelled to add mine now, however i would like to put a slightly diffrent spin on it. My wife and i had the taster menu at the time, and it was a sensation, and to this day we have rarely found anywhere that could match this place on flavour. All this aside for me it was the service, as you see this was the first time i had been treated to an experience in a high end restaurant, and to be honest i was nervous!, but if anybody who is reading this and planning a visit, and may be feling the same way.... you need not worry. The memories are still so vivid of the very helpful staff, who i sensed could almost taste my anxiety, and made me feel so at home and comfortable in these pleasent surroundings. I dont drink wine and therefore remember breaking into a cold sweat when the wine list was left with us, I am afraid to say that i'm more of a beer drinker, and i think the waitress sensed this as she lay a welcome hand on my shoulder and kindly asked if a beer was perhaps what i would prefer. Now this could have been done in an arrogant manner, like so many restaurants i eaten in before, but it was'nt. All the staff were so caring, and we were also offered a tour of the kitchen, which was a real plus. This restaurant truly has been the bench mark since to many "high end" places i have eaten, and whilst some come very very close, the Petrus will really be the one that i have the fondest memories of, and clearly from all the reviews i have read, things have not changed.