“Expensive, but wonderful”

Cuisines: European
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Belgravia
Description: Renowned throughout London and beyond, Petrus is one of the biggest names on the restaurant scene. With the world-renowned Gordon Ramsay behind the scheme to raise Petrus - now located on Knightsbridge's Kinnerton Street - from the ashes, the restaurant exudes the famous Ramsay sense of luxury combined with down-to-earth charm. Decorated in subtle tones of champagne, oyster and copper along with the claret red which inspired the restaurant's name, Petrus's beguiling interior is superbly decadent and romantic and actually quite intimate. In the kitchen, Head Chef Larry Jayasekara is creating its trademark modern French menu. At Petrus the highest-quality ingredients go into dishes that combine delicious familiar flavours with unique presentation. Expect waves of divine amuse-bouches and a stupendous wine list, including a long list of vintages of Petrus to make it all perfect.
Reviewed December 11, 2012

The reviews on trip advisor have given Petrus No.1 status so we decided to give it a try for our company christmas trip.

The welcome was warm and we were seated in no time at all.

We went for the 5 course taster menu with wine.

Pre dinner Amuse bouche was delicate but delightful and lingered on the tongue for more than a while.

1st course was Landes foie gras with apple jelly, smoked duck, hazelnut and blackberry crumble.
The balance of the foie gras with the apple was just delightful and the apple skin was superb

2nd course was Lobster and salmon ravioli with creamed leeks, Champagne and chive velouté.
As someone who doesn'tlike lobster all that much as I find it very overpowering the balance of the lobster with the volute was perfection add that to the al dente ravioli and this dish was a complete surprise. I loved it.

Main I went for Roasted Suffolk pork fillet with crispy suckling pig belly, apple and Madeira jus.
The pork was cooked to perfection and really delicious. However the onion accompaniment was not nice tomy pallate and I felt took away the flavour of the delicious pork.

Cheeses were reallygood and the selection was just right. I did not enjoy the apple and blackberry chutney which was served with it.

The Chocolate sphere with milk ice cream and honeycomb for desert was very nice but my guests found it too sweet and would've prefered fruit.

The service was sensational and we were invited down to the kitchen to meet the chief and meet the kitchen staff who were all delightful to us. This really was a nice touch.

The bill was slightly over £500 but was terrific.

Petrus ticks al the boxes and is wrth a visit.

1  Thank Mintboy
There are newer reviews for Petrus

Reviewed December 11, 2012

We decided to visit this restaurant to use a wedding gift voucher we had recently received and to celebrate my birthday. It was wonderful. We had the Chef's Menu and each course was exquisite and every wine suggested, perfectly complimented the dishes. The staff were fabulous, the décor of the restaurant classic yet modern and the complimentary view of the working kitchen was the highlight of the trip for those that enjoy fine dining. Well worth a visit! Expensive but worth every penny for a special occasion. Looking forward to going back.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

We went there with my wife for our tenth anniversary and I can not fault anything - food, ambiance (maybe only this can be improved a bit) and service all very good. Wine and cheese selection perfect. Thanks for a memorable experience.

Reviewed December 10, 2012

This restaurant lacks atmosphere and dare I say there is too much service.

I',m terribly sorry to say that the restaurant is 'beige' despite the wonderful rotunda wine cellar in the middle of the dining area. The service can be summed as as a 'total interfence' as there is person coming round every minute checking on your water, wine or cutlery. I absolutely detest this kind of attention which is every few seconds it seems; service should be discrete and available but not like this. Who on earth is in charge of this nonsense? The food is excellent, but at a price. Also, you may find yourself shooing waters away who only just topped up your water glass a minute ago. Good food, annoying service and very beige surroudings. Not worth the money actually.

3  Thank Regina P
Reviewed December 9, 2012

I was treated to a birthday surprise here with friends and family on Saturday.
Absolutely wonderful experience from start to finish.
Really nice welcome upon entry and very relaxed staff helped us settle down.
We chose to start with per-dinner cocktails before siting at our table - cosmopolitans and dirty martini's tasted very nice.
Then offered menus for both food and wine. Nice explanation of menu by Darius helped us to appreciate their specialist dishes. Good seasonal game selection with plenty of fish and veggie options too.
I chose the fois gras to start followed by the pork main. Prior to serving we were treated to a selection of chefs tasting treats and the expected amuse-bouche, all tasted really good.
The wine selection was outstanding and somewhat daunting to say the least. Had a cheeky glimpse at the fabled 'Petrus' page and nearly soiled myself!
Instead, chose a Gevrey Chambertain and NZ SB, to compliment our choices. Incidentally, the sommelier was a pleasure to talk too and not too stuffy - nice surprise. Great bloke.
Starters arrived 10 minutes after ordering and impressed. Visually good and great texture. My fois gras was very smooth with no bits as you may expect in lower grade produce. Apple jelly on top and brioche-style toast.
Cleaned my plate as did the rest of our table who had the scallops and soup.
We had plenty of space around the table and this created a very nice atmosphere as you could have a good conversation without struggling to be heard. Surroundings were modern and light (unlike the old dark dining rooms at Petrus in the Berkeley and GR at Claridges), this created a good pleasant buzz and unstuffy environment. Similar to The London in LA.
Big tick as far as we were concerned.
Mains arrived 20 minutes after we had finished and gave us plenty of time without feeling rushed.
The pace of the evening was good.
Pork main was served with separate pots of green veg and fondant potato. Well presented again and all our plates of food looked fantastic. Mine was hot, tasty and everything on the plate really did have a use. Thoroughly enjoyed it all and left nothing. My wife's Hake was excellent.
Good to get to know some if the staff - Darius really made us feel special as did all the team.
We ended with a selection of cheeses and some of us went overboard on the desserts. Four chose the specialty - Chocolate Sphere with chocolate melting sauce. It was stunning. We all couldn't help smiling during service and really enjoyed them, plus the bits of ice cream and honeycomb pieces. Special moment of the night.
To top it all, our party was invited to go downstairs to see the kitchen and say hello to the team. Nice touch, very clean, organised, professional and finished our evening with a flourish.
Happy to pay for excellence. Very good service here and food an absolute joy.
Well done to you all.