“Unexpected Pleasure”

Ranked #550 of 823 Specialty Lodging in London
bronx, ny
“Unexpected Pleasure”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

At first when I saw the multicolored hallway and the archaic doorway I thought I was in for a terrible suprise. Then, when I walked down the stairs to the restraunt where they conducted reception. There were cocatous and parrots flying around and I wondered if I had stumbled upon some kind of hippy commune. In any case, despite all my tipidations, it turned out to be a nice stay. Yes, there is are few showers, but to be honest I never had a problem getting a shower. Besides, while I was waiting there were always pretty girls to talk to (and if your a girl, I'm sure you can find a guy to strike up a conversation with). Also, I would like to mention the staff, who were beyond kind. I had dirty clothes I needed to wash and they did it without hesitation. They even held my bag without charge which I found extremely helpful.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
hostel4star, Guest Relations Manager at 4 Star Hostel, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Hi dear Ronny,

We’d like to thank you for taking the time to let us know your feedback after staying at 4 Star hostel at Piccadilly, London.

4 Star Hostel Piccadilly, London

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed July 16, 2013

I stayed here for a week in July 2013. The only good things about this place were the location and the comfort of the bed. Both showers were constantly cold for everyone, complaints were made and we were told it would be fixed, but it wasn’t. This was a “girls only dorm”, but men were told that they were allowed to use our bathrooms, so there were men in boxer shorts waiting outside our rooms for the bathroom. There was a key to access our floor in the elevator, but the stairs had full access to our floor. The main bathroom had black mold all over the ceiling and walls. The door to the “out of order” kitchen constantly slammed, as did the bedroom door next to it, however, on the other doors there was a mechanism to stop them from slamming. Also, at the end of my stay I noticed from the balcony that the sheets they used for the beds were dried on a line near a scrap heap of garbage and debris from construction. The storage offered for luggage was in the restaurant downstairs behind a door that was not locked and was accessible to everyone who visited the restaurant. The small lockers upstairs were so small they couldn't fit much inside and most were unusable because there wasn't a way to lock them. The restaurant was virtually empty every time I went downstairs, and it made me think of a bordello with the decor and the curtained booths. There were minimal electrical outlets, and the ones that were in the kitchen didn't work.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank KatrinaM4
Hi,

We’d like to thank you for taking the time to let us know your feedback after staying at 4 Star hostel at Piccadilly London.
It is a disappointment to hear we weren’t able to meet your expectations.
Please note that when you stayed here we were in the middle of a seasonal clean out for the hostel.
Hope to see you again soon at 4 Star hostel.

4 Star Hostel Piccadilly, London

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Monterosso al Mare, Italy
Reviewed April 21, 2013

As a first time in a hostel my experience here was quite good.
While I was staying my room was almost empty so I could enjoy it and the bathroom with no much rush.
Bed was comfortable and warm with extra blankets even if the room was quite cold, in one of the coldest periods of London.
The bathroom was big and clean.
Staff was very helpful and the security staff on the front door made me feel safe every night.
Heating could be improved, and rooms could be better organised.
Every bed should have a personal small light, plugs and lockers. Also rooms should be locked. There is no breakfast and there's a kitchen which is very dirty but I didn't need it.
For 25 £ a night it was okay to be in the heart of the city.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
hostel4star, Guest Relations Manager at 4 Star Hostel, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Hi dear Tellmemary,

Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed February 22, 2013

We chose this hostel due to the central location and enjoyed being within walking distance of everything. Booking and check in worked well, staff were friendly and helpfull. For sure, the number of beds in each dormitory was too large, but since only every second or third bed was occupied it didn't really matter. Bathrooms were clean.
The kitchen, however, was not functioning - our rating would have approached excellent if the refrigerator had been on and a kettle had been available for making a quick cup of coffee.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Lone221
hostel4star, Guest Relations Manager at 4 Star Hostel, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Hi Lone,

Please note that no website advertise that we provide kitchen facilities.

Zagreb, Croatia
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Good thing was that it wasn’t crowded but that has a most unusual reception i.e. Russian night bar I can’t denied …and that you feel little bit strange when you checking in, or when you are leaving and you’re not able to return key of elevator because doors of bar are closed ….

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

4 Thank kristina p
hostel4star, Guest Relations Manager at 4 Star Hostel, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Dear Kristina,

It is a disappointment to hear we weren’t able to meet your expectations.
We have one main reception for the whole building on the lower level that serves, are Russian Restaurant and our nightclub in the basement.
Our reception opening and closing times are stated on check in and it is always explained that if checking out before this time that you can return all keys the night before and collect anything we are looking after for you.

The Team
Santa Cruz, California
Reviewed January 23, 2013

This hostel is awful. Checking in was a strange experience that took place in a creepy nightclub located on the bottom floor of the hostel. The staff did not honor the booking price. They insisted it was a mistake and made me and my friend pay £10 more, each, per night. Luckily, we were only staying one night. There are no lockers or storage areas. We left our luggage, after securely locking it with our own sturdy locks (thank goodness we had them!), at the desk in the night club while we left for the day, doing our damnedest to stay out for as a long as possible before heading back to our terrible hostel. The bathrooms (3 total!) were dirty and smelled of mildew. The bathrooms in the pictures online are inaccurate and misleading. They most definitely do not look like that anymore. The rooms were stuffed with bunk-beds. There were far too many beds in each room to comfortably hang out and/or sleep. My assigned bed hadn't even been cleaned and made by the time we arrived.

I could go on and on about how [--] this place is, but I'll leave it at this:
The place is dodgy and feels unsafe.
The staff are awkward and not that helpful.
The price you've been given by a booking site will not be honored.
The nice, central location of this hostel DOES NOT make up for the lack of security, room, and cleanliness.

DO NOT STAY HERE.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank Oryx831
Hi Oryx,

It is a disappointment to hear we weren’t able to meet your expectations.
We have one main reception for the whole building on the lower level of the building. The nightclub is in the basement which is below the reception area. We did have a issue regarding the prices for when you stayed had been entered wrongly and we did apologize to all guests arriving and was giving people the choice of staying and paying the different or cancelling the booking and finding accommodation in another hostel. There are plenty of storage areas near the main reception which we use for guests luggage on check in, check out and while staying with us. Our bathrooms are maintained daily and we can not account for how they become through the day or until the cleaner, cleans them again. We are a hostel that is very popular with people staying for short stays and overnight stays before traveling on or catching a flight. We have a hung out area in the main reception space which is also apart of the restaurant where guests regular can chill out. We hope that we have answered to your review and that it is more clear as to what our Central London hostel is all about.

The Team.