“Terrible management and service.”
Review of 4 Star Hostel

4 Star Hostel
Ranked #578 of 895 Specialty Lodging in London
Reviewed June 25, 2012

I have never written a review before ad i have done lots of travel. But I couldn't help myself on this hostel! Despise the no locker situation and sharing a bathroom with loads of girls my stay was going ok, until...

I came back from a day trip to find my stuff GONE! Everything cleared out and bed made. Freaking out I went to reception and the man at the desk said "well you should have checked out shouldn't you?" in the most condescending tone you could imagine. Before even CHECKING to see if the hostel had made a mistake, I was made to feel like rubbish. After a 2 second check on an iPad another man goes "oh there was a mistake". He walks off to bring back my stuff while the other man turned to me and said "you have so much stuff, how do you expect to fit it in one bag? You just left it everywhere, all over the floor, it's unacceptable really."

I was in shock! My stuff was neatly packed under the bed when I left that morning. Always making an effort to keep stuff out of the way and when the other man returned, all my stuff was in black rubbish plastic bags. I am still horrified at the poor service, terrible manners and total lack of management skills. The most simple thing to do FIRST was to check their stupid iPad - instead of go through ALL my belongings and shove them (including my laptop and $2,000 camera) into rubbish bags.

Terrible hostel, I will never stay there again. They have no customer service and treat you like rubbish.

• Stayed: June 2012
hostel4star, Guest Relations Manager at 4 Star Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

Dear Tash,

We’d like to thank you for taking the time to let us know your feedback after staying at 4 Star hostel at Piccadilly London.
It is a disappointment to hear we weren’t able to meet your expectations back in June 2012.
We want to apologize for the mistake happened to you.

There are newer reviews for 4 Star Hostel

Reviewed June 11, 2012

Nice, clean, women-only hostel a stone's throw from Piccadilly Circus, Trafalgar Square, Buckingham Palace, and a tube station. Excellent location, and Jermyn Street is a fairly busy side street, so rest assured that you won't be walking down a deserted alley to find this hostel! The bunk beds were comfortable, you can stash your luggage underneath, and I didn't think it was cramped at all - it IS a hostel, remember. The staff will hold as much luggage as you want, for free, so don't worry about what to do with your things while you're out for the day. Only 3 bathrooms for approximately 58 beds, but I only had to wait a couple times as the hostel wasn't too full during my stay. There's a Tesco (grocery store) just down the street for cheap food, and several other places near Piccadilly where you can grab a quick, inexpensive meal. I didn't use the kitchen, but I don't think there was a working fridge or microwave. The lighting in the bedrooms is very dim, so bring a book light for nighttime reading. It was HOT when I arrived, and there is no air conditioning nor fans, but the windows do open. The weather for the rest of my June stay was cool (typical London), which was great so the room was comfortable. Overall, remember that this is a hostel and you get what you pay for - some amenities will be lacking. I was looking for a cheap, CLEAN place to stay in London near Buckingham Palace, and this was it!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Maddie J
hostel4star, Guest Relations Manager at 4 Star Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

Hi Maddie,

We’d like to thank you for taking the time to let us know your feedback after staying at 4 Star hostel Piccadilly, London.

4 Star Hostel Piccadilly, London

An EasyToBook.com traveler
Reviewed May 22, 2012

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank An EasyToBook.com traveler

Reviewed March 25, 2012

I was in this hostel and even if the location is perfect (close to everything), I feel it was overcrowed, there was no almost space in the room, which was full of beds leaving narrow corridors to get your place, but this wasn't a problem at all, in my opinion the worse part is the toilet, just one by floor, which means, huge queues or going during the night, in order to avoid the queu.

There were no place to leave the lugagge and people used the kitchen to leave it.

If you visit London with just girls, and you are looking for a good location I will recommend you this place but remember no to drink too much and get ready without going to the toilet.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Marian T

Dear Marian T.,

Please note that we have actually 3 toilets on the 2 floors and that there is a luggage store at the reception where guests can leave their luggages.

Reviewed November 13, 2011

The beds were clean and very comfortable. The staff was VERY helpful and had many suggestions for places to go and were very knowledgeable in the transit system. The kitchen was not for use and we were told it would not ever be, due to concern with fire hazard. This made it a bit difficult to keep meals inexpensive as we had no way to even refrigerate food or have use of a microwave. There was also no commons room to use in case you wanted to play cards or just hang out outside of the bedroom. This made is difficult if you didn't want to disturb the others sleeping in your room. Overall, I would recommend this place for a stay, if you have lots of plans on being out of the hostel and in the city.

Room Tip: All of the rooms we saw seemed in good condition, and of course you will have a good nights rest so...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Emily B

Hi dear Emily B.,

Reviewed November 10, 2011

The concept of an "all women's" hostel is fabulous. The fact that security is lacking, is something that kept myself and women in my room on edge. Some came for one night, others stayed longer. From "austerity measures" by the owner, lights without bulbs, to smoking indoors, to fire escapes that are inadequate, this place is not safe for women. My bed creaked, the mattresses were not covered properly and there is a question about bed bugs in some beds. The location is fabulous, however the risks far outweigh the benefits of this hostel. No kitchen or even a fridge to store things and it is one of the most expensive places in London to stay for hostels.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
5  Thank photojenik2

Dear Photojenik,

It is a disappointment to hear we weren’t able to meet your expectations back in November 2011.
Our guests are not allowed to smoke inside the hostel, but they can smoke on the balcony when they close the door.
I can guarantee that our fire escapes are safe, that our hostel is perfectly safe for women and that all bed are cleaned and sterilized eveytime a guest check-out.

4 Star Hostel Piccadilly, London

Reviewed November 6, 2011

The location is great. The bathrooms are clean and the sheets are clean. Plus there's a lovely view from the balconies and it's located in a pretty safe area.

The room I was in had two dim lights. A lady bunking beneath me and complained. A gentleman from the restaurant downstairs came up and replaced a dull bulb and added a third. The bathroom needed lights as well and the shower door was broken but there was a curtain. The bunk beds are a bit rickety and loud. One of the bunk beds had an unusable ladder (screws were out) but the tools weren't available to fix it. I wasn't staying in the bed so I didn't care. Also, remember to bring your own towel and toiletries. Towels may be rented but I think they were £3? I brought my own stuff but another girl didn't and had to cough up. There's a small market down the street before Piccadilly if you need to grab toiletries, water, or snacks.

The bad? There is no security. No locks or anything, not even on the main door. At night from 10pm-3am is a nice doorman but he doesn't check ID, nor is he overly discerning. Great to talk to but not that vigilante. From 3am to 8am the doors are locked. The problem is if you come in late or go out early morning and forget something there is no way to get back in. Other than that, doors are wide open (literally). There's no code on the elevator or keys to the dorms. The night club was closed for renovations when I stayed but I'm not sure how comfortable I'd feel there when it's in full swing. Plus, in the day, anyone can come up to the rooms and steal stuff. I didn't do any shopping or keep any valuables there but I might feel differently if I had. There was even a poster warning us if we saw a particular girl to tell the staff because "she's trouble"!

Honestly all this hostel needs to do is add a lock and give guests keys to the dorms and I wouldn't hesitate to stay again. Everything else I could live with.

• Stayed: October 2011
3  Thank Masihkap

Dear Masihkap,

Our guest can leave their suitcases in the room or leave their valuables at the reception, where there is a luggage store, free-of-charge.
I can guarantee our security guard is checking the identity of all the people who are trying to get upstairs in the hostel.
Since 2012 we have a new key system for the Hostel.