“Disgraceful owner”

Ranked #2,803 of 24,121 Restaurants in London
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Fine or casual dining
Reviewed October 26, 2013

I can confirm and be a witness that Shara27's experience below was exactly what happened without any exaggeration. The baby was never screaming but just making baby noise. I have no idea why the owner is obsessed by BREASTfeeding (and he has no idea if we are breastfeeding or formula feeding anyway!) but the thing is he was saying that we should put something in the baby's mouth to shut them up!

The restaurant was totally empty, absolutely deserted for lunch time. There were only us (3 mums and 3 babies), waiters, and that rude owner who was having lunch at guest table.

His attitude got worse as soon as we finished payment. He said 'You should know it's time to leave!'. I can't believe he is the owner and he thinks that's the way to treat customers who pay for him! There was plenty of time to prepare for dinner time as well. So even that can't be an excuse for his rudeness.

When we're leaving, unlike him, we still managed to keep courtesy to say 'thank you' but he completely ignored. (Hello, actually YOU should say that to us, don't you think?)
We also said 'Enjoy your meal' without any sarcasm but just to be polite. To my surprise he said 'Now I can.' without looking at us.

How kind he is suggesting us to go to MacDonald instead of his restaurant so that baby can make noise. But he should know MacDonald is much busier and probably they have even better understanding who pays the bill. So if that baby's noise was too much, which can be more disturbing other customers? EMPTY his restaurant or busier MacDonald? EMPTY means absolutely no customers apart from us!!!

I think how he treated us and what he said were not only rude but also discrimination. He was obviously obsessed our BREASTfeeding and determinably mentioned the customers at MacDonald can be disturbed by babies but his INVISIBLE customers can't.

I really don't see any reason why you would go to this restaurant because there are tons of restaurants with the same level of meals and so much better customer service.

3  Thank riitt

Reviewed October 24, 2013

THE HAVEN in Whetstone should be renamed THE HELL - had the most APPALLING treatment by the OWNER this afternoon who was extremely discriminatory and prejudice to me and two friends both with babies.

At one point when one of the babies cried slightly he decided to tell us to breastfeed them rudely (whilst imitating a very bad ethnic accent) and then proceeded to tell us it was time to leave abruptly (after we had just paid a hefty bill for a rather average meal plus 'already on the bill' service charges).

Furthermore he said 'we didn't know how to look after our own babies and that his restaurant which was COMPLETELY EMPTY APART FROM US wasn't a crèche or MacDonalds etc etc. Other staff members were very polite and humane but obviously they were unable to say anything to their paymaster.

Same story different minority group. He may as well have a sign outside saying 'no babies, no dogs'. I remember reading and learning about 'THOSE' days and never imagined having to experience such diabolical treatment myself in today's day and age. SHEER EVIL...

2  Thank Shara27
veritier, Owner at Haven Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2013

At the haven we love children, you want to come on a Sunday its full of kids including my own grand children but we insist that they are properly cared for by their parents and not disturbing other guests. We even have proper changing facilities which most restaurants don't have.

Three mothers with three babies in three buggies in our main restaurant to busy talking and so ignoring the cry for attention, that was my only problem, asked them maby the babies need feeding? it is not fair for anybody going to a restaurant having to listen to babies crying for attention and being ignored.

it is a total insult accusing me of imitating a very bad ethnic accent, I am Austrian, that's my accent and I am proud of it.

Furthermore the hefty bill for three people was: one set menu at £13 one risotto at 9.50 and one coffee latte at £2.25
free bread and butter total bill: £27.84 inclusive 20% vat and service, hardly hefty.

I rest my case.

Reviewed October 6, 2013

Wonderful food perfect service lovely environment
Prawn starter was awesome - and plenty of it too!
Fillet steak - perfectly cooked, my partner had chicken - delicious!

Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

Celebratory lunch for 80 for my cousin's daughter's Batmitzvah! Beautifully presented tables; excellent service; sense of occasion. Very hot day; but plenty of air. The PA system worked well - so no problem hearing those (understandably) emotional speeches.
(I remember when this was our local Sainsburys. Mosaic floors and marble cheese counters -sigh).
Delicious food - efficiently and cheerfully served.
Parking can be a bit of a problem in the High Road.
Would highly recommend for an occasion - apparently expensive for "ordinary" eating but will be testing this out soon!

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Have been going to The Haven for many years now and it has consistently good food and service, I have never been disappointed with a meal there. Its extremely popular at the weekend so you must book. I have eaten in many West End restaurants which don't compare and are often more expensive. If you can go midweek I would advise it,as Saturday night is very noisy.Lunch time is also good and very quite. If you like desserts the apple strudel is the best I have ever tasted, one portion is enough for two!

1  Thank Adrienne H