“Looking for good Mexican food? Best keep on looking.”
Review of Boho Mexica

Boho Mexica
Ranked #13,922 of 22,659 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Spitalfields
Transit: Liverpool Tube Station, Old St Tube Station, Shoreditch High Street Overground
Description: Mexican Tapas restaurant located in City of London
“Looking for good Mexican food? Best keep on looking.”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Good quality authentic Mexican food is hard to find in London - there's Wahaca (I like their food but it's a bit anglicised and mostly limited to tacos and burritos) and burrito places, some (usually fairly terrible) tex mex (e.g. chiquitos) and a couple of taco bars. Disappointingly, this place is not the authentic mexican restaurant I was looking for. Much worse than that though the manager has no interest in customer service or food quality.

This place has an interesting Mexican menu with a lot of mexcian classics that are hard to find in London - e.g. enchiladas verdes, pipian, mole etc. and so I had been keen to try it for a long time but it had always been too full as it's a very small restaurant. I'm not sure if the chef was just on holiday or having a bad day because the menu is good, but the food was really below average. Authentic mexican dishes but none of them cooked to a good standard. So, if bad (or at the very best average) authentic mexican food is what you want then this is your place. If you've never been to Mexico or had a Mexican person cook for you then maybe you'll enjoy it. If you have eaten real Mexican food or eating sloppily prepared (and I think microwaved ?!) food in a supposedly authentic restaurant annoys you then maybe not.

The tortillas I had with my tacos were flour tortillas, didn't look home made or freshly prepared and had just been microwaved (chewy and sticky...). The toppings on my tacos were lukewarm and dry like they had been prepared many hours early. Other dishes arrived very quickly, I do not believe they could have arrived so fast if not almost completely pre-prepared and then mircowaved. Sauces did taste reasonably authentic but nothing seemed fresh and the sauces had no layers of flavour like real mexican food does. Guacamole was a salty paste with no flavour of avocado or coriander or lime or really anything. Tres leches cake didn't taste of milk or vanilla or, again, really anything except sugar. So the food was all disappointing and really not what you would hope for after reading the carefully thought out menu.

The restaurant itself is small and very noisy. The tables are very close together and the stools/benches are uncomfortable. It is decorated in quite a fun way and I think, if I was there at a less busy time (confusingly, even though the food is average, this is pretty much never - I guess even bad mexican food is still mexican food) then it could be nice to go with friends.

Our waitress was really good (blonde, with a nose ring) - so thank you, pretty much totally faultless, you saved our evening after the issue with the manager. All other waiters seemed disinterested and confused (and someone at the bar did not know the difference between a lime and a lemon). One niggle (not our waitress' fault) was that service charge is stated as optional on the menu (hidden on the back page) and then included as a seemingly non-optional service charge at 12.5% on the bill. They had even put our drinks from the bar on the same bill (the ones we drank whilst waiting 20 minutes for our reserved table) and charged us an apparently non-optional service charge of 12.5% on those too.

So, average food and a noisy restaurant is one thing, but the following is really another: we had a table booked at 9pm. At 9 my friend asked if our table was ready (we had arrived a bit early) and was told simply "no". At 9.10 I went to ask if our table was ready as (i) I had seen them seating other people and (ii) they have a clearly stated policy that, if you are 15 minutes late then you lose your reservation. I asked a couple of waitresses and they shrugged and pointed at the manager. I asked if our table was ready and if he knew when it would be ready. This is all I said, I was not rude in any way. He then started to shout at me aggressively and said "if you don't want to wait, then just leave, YOU SHOULD JUST LEAVE", "there's people at your table - do you want me to drag them out by their hair?", "our reservation times aren't exact" , "it's your fault because you arrived too early" and "you have a bad attitude". In my opinion, that's a bit of an overreaction to a query. But anyway, after I thought he'd finished ranting (he looked down and started ignoring me and cleaning a glass) I left and decided to just get over it by rolling my eyes, shrugging and thinking "oh, Shoredtich". The manager/ bartender (a man of napoleonic stature with long-ish hair and an t-shirt that said "imagine" if you want to make sure you don't ask him any questions - because remember he doesn't like that!!)) however wasn't finished, he followed me over to my table to continue shouting at me in front of my friends - more of the "JUST LEAVE" and "DO YOU WANT ME TO PULL THEM OUT BY THEIR HAIR?" and the "BAD ATTITUDE" ranting. Um, no, just wanted to know when my table would be ready - I have no desire for you to assault someone or scream at me or follow me to scream at me some more. I mostly go out to restaurants to eat, not to get shouted at and made to feel totally uncomfortable for asking a perfectly reasonable question. (I see from other reviews I am not the first person he has shouted at! It seems from someone else's review that he pushed a woman once!! How do you still have a job?!?!). Although I appreciate that this is a busy restaurant and he may get a lot of queries like that and that that may irritate him, it is extremely disturbing that anyone could think that is an acceptable way to behave either in general or particularly when working in a customer facing role.

1 Thank rtwopinion

Brisbane, Australia
“great twist on mexican”
Reviewed May 4, 2013

Enjoyed the food & service and reasonable prices. The food wasn't your typical british version mexican, was a bit different and really liked it. Good sevice and lowlit atmosphere.

London, United Kingdom
“Bad service, bad food”
Reviewed May 1, 2013 via mobile

The name should be enough to warn you off! Expensive mains at £15 a pop for simple food. Some of the good was good, but some very very poor like the ceviche. Slow sloppy service. Won't go back

1 Thank Mike B
Cambridge, England, United Kingdom
“Uncomplicated mexican flavour”
Reviewed April 23, 2013

I was fortunate to have a born-and-bred mexican housemate for a year or two and the food here reminded me very much of her cooking: not especially complicated but substantial and packed with fresh ingredients and great mexican flavours. I'm not sure why others have given this restaurant bad reviews, perhaps because the (comparatively) high prices seem to demand a more sophisticated dining experience. But personally I love this kind of food and I'm prepared to put the high prices down to the increasingly trendy post code. I'll definitely be back here soon.

• Visited April 2013
London, United Kingdom
“horrible service and food don't goo there***”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

the bartender (Argentinean) kick us out because he was tired and he want to go home*** he put our bgs out side the bar !!! yes he did!!!! he was all nite like mental yelling to us he said was not his day ***they in general Very rude and inconsistent service, overheated restaurant, crowded tables. Food heavy and very bland - the guacamole was impossible to eat *** and when he sk x the bill he charge extra 2 beers for us when we told him all the bartenders smile so I guess they do it to every one.

• Visited April 2013