“Authentic Caribbean”

Add it.
2 Sixteen
Cuisines: Caribbean
Reviewed May 28, 2012 via mobile

Ate here on Friday as it was close to where we were staying. There is a real shortage of good Caribbean restaurants in London.
The restaurant is small but this gives it its intimate feel.
We didn't realise until we arrived that the restaurant doesn't serve alcohol. But were directed to the off licence a few doors away, which sells a wide selection or wine and beer. They also don't charge corkage and even kept our beer in the fridge.
To start we shared Bbq wings, which were sticky and tender. And salt cod fritters which were delicious.
For main course I had a mutton curry and a roti. It was some of the best food I have had in ages, just like they make in Barbados.
The hostess/owner was lovely and made us feel like we were regulars.
I can't wait to go back. I wish I lived closer.

2  Thank 87-london

Reviewed March 1, 2012

It’s always very difficult eating out at a Caribbean restaurant when you are used to cooking and eating it all the time at home. Everyone cooks their dishes like rice and peas or curry mutton slightly differently depending where in the Caribbean you are from. So when I invited 25 guests mostly Jamaican to attend a surprise 50th birthday meal, I was a bit apprehensive about them enjoying the food.

This small, friendly and easy to find restaurant brings a little bit of Caribbean ambience to Hornsey. There is charming art work displayed and Yvette, the owner is always willing to organise events for budding artists and the like.

I organised a surprise 50th Birthday dinner for my husband at 2 Sixteen on 25th February 2012. We had a great time. Yvette, the owner and chef, made it very easy to organise this event and was very accommodating to us decorating the restaurant, bringing in our own drinks and cake and making everyone feel relaxed. She was great at offering us guidance and advice in planning and organising this event and I have to say a big thank you to her because everything went perfectly.

Yvette and her staff welcomed all our guests as if they were friends that they have known for ages making everyone feel comfortable and at ease. The staff were great, nothing was too much trouble for them.

We had the buffet menu at £18.50 per head. The food is freshly cooked and included chicken wings, prawns, curry mutton, jerk chicken, stewed fish, fried chicken, dahl, roti, macaroni cheese, rice and peas, plantain and much, much more. Everyone said they have never seen so much food and, it just kept coming. But don’t worry about the amount of food what we couldn’t eat was packed up in containers for us to take home.
The homemade ice cream desert was delightful. Particularly favoured by our group were the rum (with real rum) and raisin and the mango flavours.

The only thing I would say which isn't a criticism is that we were not sure what order the food was coming out in so by the time the roti and curry and dahl came, some people were already full up. But we did enjoy the take away rice and peas and curry for breakfast the next morning.

2 Sixteen serves good quality Caribbean food that is excellent value for money with a friendly and relaxing atmosphere.

2  Thank jeanj821