“Terrible food”

Ranked #215 of 1,088 Hotels in London
England, United Kingdom
“Terrible food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

I'm surprised at the number of reviews with little reference to the poor food at this hotel. It's terrible. I ordered room service my first night here thinking a club sandwich is normally a safe bet. I also ordered the nacho's. When it arrived the alarm bells started ringing when the nacho's just had a blob of plastic rubber cheese in the middle and I literally had to tear this 'cheese' or whatever it was apart. No cheese underneath so just dry nacho's underneath. Nothing worse, I could do much better at home! Not done by a chef clearly. That wasn't the worse of it though. Peeling back the bread of my club sandwich revealed some worrying ingredients. The lettuce was brown and black (and very sparse thankfully) and had actually turned the bread soggy and brown too. The bacon was clearly left overs from breakfast. The chicken was cubed and looked very old. It then had a greasy frid egg on the top. The whole thing was greasy and frankly disgusting - made me feel sick. I immediately complained but with none of the hotel staff speaking good English it was very difficult. I eventually spoke to the duty manager who apologised on behalf of the chef but there's no way a 'chef' would have sent that food out!

I had real problems with the staff at this hotel understanding me - none of them spoke very good English and could not understand the basics, from check in to check out. Couldn't even understand what I meant by asking if I could charge things to my room? And when I complained about the food they thought I wanted to order some milk??

I checked out the breakfast as it was included in my corporate rate and the bacon did indeed look the same as I was given in my disgusting club sandwich. I just couldn't eat any of the food there. Be warned - I would not risk it.

The hotel itself was clean and modern but not worth the money and I'll be staying somewhere else next time and I'm talking to my company about getting it removed from their options for London. Can't even get a simple club sandwich and nachos right and it could have given me serious poisoning had I eaten it. Stay away!

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank OneGlove
H10HLW, Front Office Manager at H10 London Waterloo, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear guests,

First and foremost, thank you for choosing the H10 London Waterloo Hotel for your stay. I would also like to thank you for your comments. We always appreciate and listen carefully to all feedback in order to improve our guest’s experience.

On the subject of the club Sandwich, we like the way we prepare in our own way. We try to do this by using different styles, such as using oak leaf lettuce, which has brown leaves. The chicken, though not cubed, is a thinner than normal chicken breasts to allow for a fuller flavour and succulent taste. The bacon is cooked to order and is not used from the left over’s of breakfast. The bacon we use is the same brand for breakfast as it is for room service. The egg is also fried to order. We are sorry if this was not to your liking.

On the subject of the level of English here at H10 London Waterloo, we are proud to have a range of staff from across the world that are here to offer the best customer service in an range of different languages to our clients. On the night in question I am informed that you spoke to three members of staff. Two of these, the Reception Supervisor and the F&B Assistant Manager speak impeccable English. The rest of our staff all speaks English to a good standard but in a variety of accents.

We hope that you will change your mind and pay us another visit here at H10 Waterloo and try our Three O Two restaurant which has a modern Spanish menu and many very special dishes.

Finally I would like to thank you again for your feedback.

Paul Wongartorn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (516)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Overland Park, Kansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

Our tour group (Go Ahead) booked this hotel for over 40 of us. Very good hotel in a great location.

Pros - location, price, service, cleanliness

Cons - rained once :)

Would be happy to stay there again

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
H10HLW, Front Office Manager at H10 London Waterloo, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing the much valued feedback on Tripadvisor regarding your recent visit to H10 London Waterloo.

We are happy that you had a lovely stay with your group and that you found it suitable for your needs.

As you plan to come back again, why not take advantage of our fantastic H10 Club membership to make your next stay an even special one than you already have had.

Reykjavik, Iceland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

Me and my husband stayed here in july 2013. Upon arrival we noticed that the handle to open our window/balcony was broken. Since it would take some time to fix this, the staff told us we would have to change rooms. For this minor problem they upgraded us to deluxe room with lovely view of London, f.e. of the Shard and the City. Our room was spacious and modern and the hotel staff was lovely but yet professional. The food in the hotel restaurant was very good as was the food at the brekfast buffet. We will definitely book this hotel again :)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

First and foremost, thank you for staying at the H10 London Waterloo. We value your feedback and thank you for sharing the lovely comments on Tripadvisor.

We strive to provide the best customer service and are delighted that this met up to your expectations.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013

My husband and I stayed here again last month. Our first choice hotel in London for its location, cleanliness, friendly and helpful staff and for its value for money. Very good choice and variety at breakfast. Room and bathroom well equipped. Comfortable bed.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Barbara G
H10HLW, Front Office Manager at H10 London Waterloo, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for the lovely feedback at the H10 London Waterloo. I am delighted that this is your second visit and that it has once again met up to your expectations.

Thank you again for the feedback about the staff and the breakfast, as we strive to provide the best service and breakfast possible for all our guests.

See you again on your next visit!

Warm regards,

Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013

I took the responsibility of finding and booking a hotel for a colleague and myself and then forgot about it until a fortnight before our intended visit. The search for "somewhere nice" turned into a task and a half. The hotels that were available were either in the region of £1111.00 and £11.00! I eventually found details of H10, which was convenient in terms of location and in terms of price appeared to be good value (cheaper than The Premier Inn in the same locality)
The hotel was a stones throw away from the Waterloo Station and easy to find. The lady who dealt with our check in (Maria I think) was brilliant. She was welcoming, efficient and entertained our requests for rooms as high up as possible and with "nice views". The room I got had an awesome view, it was tastefully decorated, clean, fresh and comfortable. I was immediately impressed as was my colleague. The bed was comfortable and there were weighing scales in the bathroom which were very kind!
Breakfast was great, wide variety of food to suit all palates. Staff were helpful and friendly. The trip was of an overnight one and therefore the stay at H10 was short but the sweetest! I will not hesitate to consider H10 for any visit to London that I may have in the future.

Room Tip: Higher floors, fab views!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank RaziaJ186411
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for sharing the much valued feedback at the H10 London Waterloo hotel. I am absolutely thrilled that you had a lovely time and that the hotel met up to your expectations.

We pride ourselves in providing the highest possible level of service and the quality of the breakfast, and I am proud that this also met up to your expectations.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013

I stayed with my mother at H10 Waterloo in June 2013, I was very impressed with the service I received and the quality of the facilities,The room was clean and fitted with a flat screen TV with a good range of Foreign language channels which suited my mother who is a linguist. For Spanish speakers an equally good quantity of Spanish newspapers were available amongst them El Pais. The room was clean and had a well stocked minibar, I was also able to listen to music on my iPhone using a bedside dock.The bed was particularly comfortable, being the only hotel bed in recent memory which did not give me backache in the morning. The food in the bar I can recommend, The beef burger I had was moist and rich in flavour,I also sampled the Spanish Omelette which was probably the best example I have tasted in some time. in the evening we had drinks in the bar and the ambience was most pleasant.At breakfast there was a wide selection of food available such as cereals, assorted pastries and various elements of a cooked English breakfast were held in metal heated containers so that you could choose what quantities of sausage, beans, fried egg etc you wished, this I found most impressive. The staff were attentive to our needs and friendly.When we ordered our food in the bar the waitress was helpful in sorting our table and advising us on local events we might wish to see during our stay. One man took a picture of my mother and I in the hotel when were about to leave. I can recommend this hotel, and will be sure to stay again in the future.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Karl C
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing such wonderful feedback regarding your recent visit to the H10 London Waterloo. We are absolutely delighted to hear that we lived up to your expectations, and cannot wait to see you again.

Warm regards,

Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013

This is a lovely, modern hotel, approximately 5 minutes from Waterloo Station. The staff we lovely; and whilst not that big, the room was spotless, tasteful, and very comfortable. Great bathroom too. Breakfast was really good, with a very large choice of continental, and tradition English, plus loads of pastries to keep you full all day! There are local bars, restaurants and shops nearby too. The London Eye is also in walking distance, and with the tube at hand it's easy to get around from here. The cold glass of Cava when we checked in was also very welcome! Would definitely book here again when we go back to London.

Room Tip: The top floors have a better view and are a bit quieter.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Samfie
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking time to share your experience at the H10 London Waterloo. We are delighted that you had a wonderful time at the hotel and found that the hotel met up to your expectations.

We strive to provide the highest level of service to all our guests and to provide the best breakfast in London, and are happy that this lived up to your expectations.