“Hugely disappointing”

Ranked #395 of 1,090 Hotels in London
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Hugely disappointing”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2014

I stayed at the W last summer with my daughter as a special treat. It was just one night due to the cost. The front desk staff were absolutely lovely and the bar area had a nice "happening" atmosphere. The room could have been lovely but was very dark with no idea how to switch the lights on or off (needed to get someone to come in and show us). A fault meant the shower, which was lit up, wouldn't turn off and there are lights under the bed that don't turn off either. To get the room dark meant taking the key card out completely but that then meant we couldn't switch anything on without a stumbling pitch dark walk back to the door. We asked for non feather pillows due to asthma and were brought some by a very surly staff member. When I pointed out that the replacements were also feather he categorically denied it and said they felt like feather but weren't. (They were feather!) So we slept with cushions instead of pillows which were not comfortable (obviously with buttons etc). Worst of all was that I requested tea/coffee making tray (as advertised) and when the kettle arrived and was filled and boiling we noticed a strange pungent smell in the room. It took a while to find (we thought it might be toilet or plugs) but was actually the kettle which was full of foul brown sludge. It looked like limescale that had been treated so had turned into a paste and would have been horrendous if either of us had drunk it. I wrote immediately afterwards and was offered a tiny discount on a future stay and promised a phone call to discuss this which never came. We won't be staying again, ever.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
8 Thank Sara H
Coen V, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Dear Sara H,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am very sorry to hear that your stay with us at W London – Leicester Square last summer did not meet the level of expectation that we strive to achieve for each one of our guests.

We take the feedback of our guests seriously and we strive to maintain the level of extraordinary service that is expected from a W Hotel. I am sorry that on this occasion we failed to Wow as much as we should have.

Notwithstanding this, if you do decide to return to W London please let me know as I would like to personally oversee your reservation. coen.vanniersen@whotels.com

Coen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (491)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2014

I booked a weekend at the W London for my daughter and my Niece to celebrate a 21st.
The weekend was completely ruined due to lack of sleep.

Saturday night they were in touch with me at 11.00pm complaining that they couldn't sleep due to the noise from the bar. I told them to complain but being young girls they didn't like to. At 1.30am they were in touch complaining about the noise from the Lamborghini's revving their engines outside. In the morning they complained and were moved to another room.

Sunday night, they went to bed at 10.30 as they were exhausted having not slept properly the night before. Again the bar noise was too much, they'd had enough and went to reception and complained. They were told that the hotel policy is to accommodate younger people on the lower floors. Eventually after complaining twice they were moved up to the 7th floor.

All in all, the weekend was a complete waste of money, I am bitterly disappointed. This is not what I'd expect from a 5 star hotel.

Ironically, had they had a good nights sleep, they would have really enjoyed the hotel. They were delighted with the place until they tried to sleep.

Room Tip: Ask for a room as far away from the bar area as possible
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank P G
Coen V, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
Dear PG,

Thank you for sharing your review with us. I am sorry to hear that your Daughter and Niece did not enjoy their stay with us. I can understand that at times it can be quite challenging to control DJ’s performances. However, I would like to assure you that we take the feedback of our guests seriously, and we are always looking for ways to improve upon on our guests’ experiences. Unfortunately, the hotel has no control over external noise and I apologise that this has marred their stay.

If you in the future you decide to stay with us then please let me know as I would like to personally oversee your reservation. coen.vanniersen@whotels.com

Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2014

I took my wife away for short visit for to London for her birthday, and wanted a unique and different hotel that was centrally located. .we were not let down.

Great welcome, helpful staff and a nice touch for my wife's birthday., there was a slight concern in the amount of time it took to check as only two members of staff were available at the time, but this didn't really cause too much of an issue

The stay was perfect in all ways, The rooms were hip and so different with one of the most comfy beds we have slept in, the Bar & Music was great and with a night club so the misses could have a little dance!
Our room was at the back of the hotel,so quiet you would never know you're in the middle of Leicester square, so if you are looking for a hip, cool, unique hotel centrally located hotel,this is the place to come
We will certainly return.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank blake1006
Dear blake1006,

Thank you for sharing your great feedback. It is always a pleasure to hear of the overall experiences of our guests. I am very pleased to hear that both you and your wife enjoyed your stay with us at W London – Leicester Square during your Wife’s birthday celebrations. However, I am also sorry to hear about the delays you experienced on check-in. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your evenings in our W Lounge and we hope to welcome you back again soon.

Celerina, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2014

We met up with friends at the W Lounge and Bar for drinks and small bites. The atmosphere was fun and trendy and the DJ played some great Friday night music. Later we moved over to the Wyld Bar and danced under the huge disco ball which was also a lot of fun!
The staff was very accommodating and made sure we had a night to remember.
Definitely recommendable if you are looking for a funky place to enjoy good cocktails and dance.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank gg7786
Coen V, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
Dear gg7786,

Thank you for sharing your excellent review. It is always a pleasure to hear of the overall experiences of our guests. I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed your evening in our W Lounge and Wyld Bar. I would also like to thank you for your kind words on my team. I will certainly share your review with my entire team as they too will appreciate this immensely.

I look forward to your return.

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2014

Location of this hotel is great it's in the centre of things! My complaint of this hotel is I arrived at 5.00pm and my room was not ready I was put in the bar to wait! It was another 50 mins until I got to my room on complaining to the Management I was informed it happens all the time !
The service in the bar was very slow and pricey, I was put in a room on 2nd floor above the club
It was a nightmare! Would I go back ? NO

Room Tip: arrive late and ask for a high floor
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
5 Thank Simon R
Coen V, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
Dear Simon R,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I was sorry to hear that your stay with us did not meet your expectation. I would like to assure you that your feedback is important to us as at times it identifies the area that needs focus and attention.

I hope you will consider returning to W London – Leicester Square in the not so distant future. Please feel free to contact me when you plan your next stay as I would like to personally oversee your reservation with us. You can reach me via email on coen.vanniersen@whotels.com

Dana Point, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2014

W (London) is not Wonderfully Whimsical but just plain WEIRD !!! ... If you are a business traveler (like me), stay AWAY. This place happens to be in one of the busiest and tourist infested areas of Central London. There is security from door to door which should make me feel safe, right ? but is just plain turns me off that the hotel residents have to tell security every time they enter (after hours) that they are "legit entrants" .... as the lifts won't operate without a valid room key and you cannot quietly return to your room without running into half a dozen security staff at different points along the way ... Creepy!

Well, the room (I was upgraded to a studio suite, one of only 4 they have in the hotel ) was another shocker - W (London) tried really hard to make the room cool but ended up cluttering it with useless pieces of junk that comes in the way. I spent 15 minutes just trying to figure out all the mood lights and controls. Beautiful TV was non functioning as the remote was dead and it lacked manual controls. Cordless phones looked cool but were totally useless due to high noise interference.

The bathroom and closets were very oddly designed and placed. There was a useless pillar in the middle of my suite blocking useful area. Whoever designed the layout this room should be barred from practicing, enough said!

Unless you need to be "part of the scene" and just "chill & hangout" !! , this hotel serves very limited useful purpose, especially for convenience-and-efficiency-oriented business travelers.

On a positive side, the staff is generally nice and polite, the spa on the sixth floor is good and the workout facilities are adequate.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank PG13LA
Dear PG13LA,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your stay with us at W London – Leicester Square. I was sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay with us. We do take guest feedback very seriously as we are always looking for ways to improve upon guest experiences. I will certainly share your feedback with the relevant heads of department to ensure maintain the highest standards of service are maintained at all times.

Notwithstanding this, I would like the opportunity to welcome you back again. I should be most grateful if you could let me know when you plan your next visit as I would like to personally oversee your reservation and ensure you receive the highest level of service. You can reach me via email on coen.vanniersen@whotels.com

Once again thank you for your feedback and I look forward to hearing from you.

Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2014

I stayed at W London with my girlfriend for 4 nights. I booked a wonderful room, we got upgraded to spectacular (I'm SPG gold).

The hotel has typical W hotel feel/vibe, very cool/modern/rockstar.
All staff I encountered were really helpful and friendly.

I had a few drinks in the bar, which was really cool. The bar area is a beautiful space, and the drinks are expensive as expected (but very tasty nonetheless). I also used the fitness center a few times, which was very well equipped and clean.

The room itself was pretty small (probably not by London standards), but the bed was comfortable and room was really well equipped. Only issue with the room was water overflowing into the room from the shower (although the water disappeared every day thanks to housekeeping).

Probably the best thing for me was the location, in Leicester square. It's a great location to access many of the great spots in London. Lots of great destinations are within easy walking distance. Would definitely consider staying again..

Room Tip: If you can't decide between a wonderful & spectacular room, save yourself 40GBP/day and go f...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear mmckdav,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent visit to W London Leicester Square. It is really good to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay with us. However, I would also sorry to hear about issues you experienced with the bathroom. Your feedback on this matter is important to us as we are always looking for ways to improve upon on our guests’ experiences.

Your kind words on my team are valuable to me and I will definitely share these with all of them as they too will appreciate it.

I am looking forward to welcome you again in the future.