“"Modern" Inefficiencies over Functionality”

W London Leicester Square
Ranked #401 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed March 9, 2014

I have stayed in many hotels in London over the years and have grown accustom to the lack of detail and service provided to "loyal" guests, so I have a through understanding of what to expect while here on business. Here are a list of "complaints".

1) The W hotel in Leicester Square has a terrible overall staff. I checked in on a Sunday at 5pm, and there was only 1 room that was clean. I find this a little disturbing considering that check out for non Platinum guests is at noon. Unless, of course, 99% of the guests staying in the hotel were platinum SPG members, which is a little hard to fathom.

2) This particular W hotel has adopted its modern and "art" look at the cost of functionality in the rooms. In the "Wonderful" room that I am stationed in has a center console in the room. There is a small "bathroom" sink on one side of the table, and a high top "desk" space with a high chair. So the intention is to place my laptop, next to the sink where I will be washing my hands and face.

3) There is only 1 outlet in the entire room located under the center console. The room is not small by any means, it is a decent size hotel room, but the lack of outlets makes me feel as if I am living in Amish Pennsylvania, running an electrical socket from the neighboring town to this "artistic" center console taking up space in my room. No, there are not any sockets beside the bed or nightstands, and to reach the sockets the lamps are plugged into would require a Black and Decker EPC18CA drill.

4) There are florescent purple and blue lights under the nightstands that cannot be turned off. Sexy time anyone?

5) The rooms on the Western side of the building face Wardour Street, where China Town restaurants begin, so the rooms smell like dim sum, and fried pork spring rolls.

6) The "Whatever/Whenever" concierge hot line consistently has staff that does not speak loudly, and hardly speak English. I asked for a US Power Adapter, and received a record player. Not joking.

7) The thought of an SPG lifetime platinum member getting any sort of upgrade to a larger room, or room on a higher floor is blasphemous.

8) Standard W fails for Platinum guests, no lounge, no free hot breakfast, and lack of service.

Room Tip: Maybe a suite or room on a higher floor would be better?
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
8  Thank TKHAL33
Coen V, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2014

Dear TKHAL33,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I was sorry to hear that your stay with us did not meet your expectation.

I can understand your frustration. We experience high occupancy of SPG guests during weekends and as part of their benefit majority of them request late departure which limits our availability. We also have to ensure that the guests checking in are allocated to the correct room type in accordance to their bookings. Having said this, I will certainly share your feedback with the relevant heads of department to ensure that the highest level of service and standards are met at all times.

Again, we appreciate your feedback and I hope you will consider returning to W London – Leicester Square in the not so distant future. Please feel free to contact me when you plan your next visit as I would like to oversee your stay personally. You can reach me via email on coen.vanniersen@whotels.com

Coen

Write a ReviewReviews (2,060)

Reviewed March 8, 2014

Room not ready on checkin at 3pm however offered comp drinks in hotel bar. Service/staff in bar v poor and difficult to attract attention to order food/drink. Returning to bar at 7pm to have pre theatre drinks we find that most tables are reserved and it's turned into a nightclub! Rooms ok but blinds inadequate to block any light so it's like sleeping in daylight. Returning late in the evening security on entrance and it's now definitely turned into a nightclub - a great hotel I'm sure if your aged 30 or under but needs to decide if it's a hotel or a nightclub and improve staff training as it feels like they are doing you a favour in providing service. Great location however disappointed with overall experience and way way overpriced.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank lovetravelling50

Dear lovetravelling50,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent visit to W London Leicester Square. I was sorry to hear about the short fall in services you experienced in the W Lounge. We do take guest feedback very seriously as we are always looking for ways to improve upon guest experiences. I will certainly share your feedback with the relevant heads of department to ensure maintain the highest standards of service are maintained at all times.

Notwithstanding this, I would like the opportunity to welcome you back to W London – Leicester Square. Please let me know when you plan your next stay, as I would like to oversee your reservation personally. You can reach me on coen.vanniersen@whotels.com

Reviewed March 3, 2014

I stayed here for my husbands 30th Birthday.
The room was beautiful with modern feature throughout. It was clean tidy and beautiful. It felt like living a celebrity life. Beautiful stand alone bathtub, spacious room. Everything had a very big price tag though and there were no plug sockets near the dressing table so really struggled getting ready in the bedroom. Overall it was a beautiful hotel and it definitely the closest you can get in London to celebrity living!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Coen V, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2014

Dear Tanya D,

Thank you so much for your great review regarding your recent stay with us at W London – Leicester Square. I am very happy to hear that you and your Husband enjoyed your stay with us and we managed to exceed your expectations. We are glad that you have enjoyed the comforts of your room and we are all looking forward to welcome you again in the future.

Reviewed March 3, 2014

The W Hotel has been my preferred hotel for years. I loved the fact that I could always find a trendy room, a young crowd, a hip vibe and a great environment. This hotel has all of that.

The room is unlike anything I’ve seen in any other hotel. The bathroom is divided with the shower in one area, the sink in the middle of the room, and the water closet in another area. The water closet and shower are hidden behind mirrored walls. The bed is super modern, sleek platform bed. The bar turns into a nightclub on the weekends with young people dancing the night away. The location is in the heart of the city in Leicester Square and convenient to many other tourists attractions.

However, I’m 40 and realized something on this trip to London. I want the music turned down a bit so I can enjoy a conversation without yelling. I want a bed that is more than 6 inches off the floor. I want to walk through the lobby without running into overly intoxicated people. I want well-lit hallways. I want hotel staff members who understand the proper usage of the word “like.”

The W London epitomizes the best of the W hotel experience, and I’ve enjoyed many hotels in this brand. However, I think I’ve graduated to the St. Regis.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends

Dear KMichelleM,

I would like to thank for you taking the time to share your feedback with us regarding your stay at W London Leicester Square. It is really helpful to have this feedback from you – both positive and constructive. I am sorry that the experience did not entirely meet your expectation as much as it should have.

I would like the opportunity to restore your faith back in W London – Leicester Square. Please let me know when you plan your next stay, as I would like to oversee your reservation personally. You can reach me on coen.vanniersen@whotels.com

Reviewed March 3, 2014

Had a business trip to the UK and wife agreed to come along for a long weekend. She had never been so this was a trip we were very excited about. We split it up between staying in London and then two nights in suburbs closer to my business meeting. Chose the W since part of SPG network. Overall, the hotel was fantastic and very modern/elegant and trendy. The clientele was young and hip. A bit younger than us but it worked since we didn't have the kids and we were looking for something romantic. The room was furnished with a clear modern theme (that is the W schtick) and we found it very comfortable. The staff was friendly and helpful and the bar served good drinks. We didn't get a chance to eat at any of the restaurants since we were on the go but menus looked good and bet food would be as well. Overall, had a great experience and would probably stay there again for a two night stint. Only negative is that it stayed pretty loud late into the night. Part of that is London and part of that is W. Again, not a big deal but be prepared for that.

Room Tip: Chose a higher room. The reception area turns into a night club just about so don't want to sta...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear John O,

Thanks for sharing your great feedback. It is always a pleasure to hear of the overall experiences of our guests. I am very pleased to hear that overall you and your family enjoyed your stay with us at W London – Leicester Square. I also appreciate your point about the music. Please allow me to assure you that we take guest’s feedback very seriously as we are always looking for ways to improve on our guests’ experiences and will certainly review this matter.

On a positive note, it is great to hear that you appreciated our friendly staff. I will happily pass these compliments on to them as they too will appreciate this immensely.

I hope you will return to W London – Leicester Square in the not so distance future.

Reviewed February 27, 2014

I stayed in the W with my husband when we visited London for a shopping weekend. It is absolutely fantastic - so much so I have booked to visit the W in Barcelona ! Location fantastic, staff are extremely helpful and room was perfect!

Will definitely be back.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear NettieMe,

Thank you for sharing such a great review. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us at W London – Leicester Square. It’s good to hear the overall experience of the guest experience such as yours. I would also like to thank you on behalf of my entire team for your kind comments. I will certainly share this with all of them as they too will appreciate this.

I look forward to your return!

Reviewed February 26, 2014

Had a blast celebrating NYE 2013 with friends in the Wyld Bar & Lounge! A great service by servers and bartenders in the Lounge and Club, atmosphere was relaxed and great music. Had a great 2013 ending!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Tom_Lelifeld,

Thanks for your great review. I am very pleased to hear that you had a great time with us during your New Year’s Eve 2013 celebration. I would like to also thank you for your kind words on my team, I will certainly share this with all of them and look forward to seeing you on your next visit to the W London – Leicester Square.