“Amazing location, stunning building pokey bedrooms”

W London Leicester Square
Ranked #395 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Amazing location, stunning building pokey bedrooms”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2014 via mobile

We were booked into the W as part of a group booking. I had read the TripAdvisor reviews beforehand so set off with trepidation.
We had a 4 hour drive to get to the hotel. We had to pre book valet parking as the hotel does not have its own parking and paid £100 for 2 nights valet parking- in a public car park!!!
Check in took forever, even though the reservation was pre booked , we didn't just walk off the streets. We had to show photo ID at check in - never ever had to do that at a UK hotel! Yet our friends who came from abroad didn't ' how does that work?? The guy that checked us in was so slow he was too busy trying to chatty and interactive. After our drive all we wanted was get to our room and chill.
The room was small -but I knew it would be from the reviews. I would say that the hotel is made from portable cabin style boxes stacked on top of each other. The room was like a shoe box with a toilet and separate shower room partitioned off the room out of frosted glass.
The wash basin is in the bedroom so when you have had a shower you walk into the bedroom dripping to get your towel off the island.
If you are not with someone you know intimately using the toilet could be embarrassing because every slight sound from within the toilet can be heard through the glass into the bedroom.
The lobby and bar area were great, fab decor. The bar was constantly busy whatever time of day we went through. At night it was packed and had a DJ playing- fabulous atmosphere!
The door men were friendly and courteous. I couldn't believe that there were people queuing outside to go into the hotel bar.
Our bedroom was on the 2nd floor. At night when we were in bed we could hear all the noise from the street.
The hotels location makes it great and though the room was disappointing I would stay again but would definitely research the different rooms and definitely ask to be on a higher floor.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Ian C, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Dear katieperfect,

Thank you for sharing your review with us. I am sorry to hear that your stay with us at W London – Leicester Square did not entirely meet your expectation.

With regards to ID, this is a normal procedure for all non-UK guests to provide their passports as proof if ID at check-in. However, we would not request this if the guest is from UK. This would only be requested if our team was unsure of the person’s residency. I am sorry if this was not made clear to you at the time.

I appreciate your point about the modern design. However, we do believe that the rooms are designed to both maximise space and comfort. Having said this I can understand that this is not to everyone’s taste.

On a positive note, I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed the atmosphere in our W Lounge. I would also like to thank you for your kind comments on my team, these are greatly appreciated and I will certainly share these with all of them.

Thank you again for your feedback and I hope we will see you soon.

Coen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (491)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the W Hotel for a 2 night weekend stay. It was booked for an event so we had no choice where we were staying. I had read the reviews on TripAdvisor and was a little concerned .
I have to speak as I find. The location is absolutely amazing, couldn't have been better. It really is a stunning building too.
Check in took a life time- and we were the only ones checking in. The chap checking us in was polite but trying too hard to interract with us rather than get on with checking us in. We had driven 4 hours and really just wanted to get to our room and chill.
The room we had was small- which was the most repeated gripe I read about. I really don't like the idea of having the basin in the bedroom area. My first impression is that the hotel had been constructed of lots and lots of portacabins sitting on top of each other. It was like staying in a shoe box. I refer my basin to be in my bathroom. I really didn't like the idea of the separate shower and toilet. The bath towels are also on the basin island so when you come out of the shower ( ours had a towel by the door to stop water flooding the bedroom area too- clearly a design fault somewhere as lots of reviews state this) you walk dripping to reach the towels. The shower and toilets were just screened off by glass partitions so unless you are staying there with someone you know intimately, going to the toilet could be a noisy embarrassing experience. Our room was on the second floor and at night when we went to bed it was incredibly noisy. The windows were closed and we could still hear all the noises from the street below.
The decor of the main lobby/ bar area is amazing fabulous huge sofas and fires, very trendy. The atmosphere in the bar was amazing it was constantly busy and a DJ played both evenings. It was great.
The Doormen were courteous, friendly and polite. I couldn't believe that at night people queued up outside to go onto the bar. Wow.
Summing up I would say it's a great location I would stay again but would investigate better rooms and definitely insist on going on a much higher floor.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Cacawillydumbo,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I am pleased to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay with us at W London – Leicester Square. It is also great to hear that you appreciated the services provided to you by my team. I will happily pass these compliments on to them as they too will appreciate it.

I appreciate that your point about the design of our rooms. These were designed to both maximise space and keep our guests comfortable in all aspects. I can understand that this is not to everyone’s taste.

Notwithstanding this, I would like the opportunity to welcome you back to W London – Leicester Square. Please let me know when you plan your next stay, as I would like to oversee your reservation personally. You can reach me via email coen.vanniersen@whotels.com

London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2014

Stayed here recently on business, 1 night in a standard room. Had been very excited about staying, check in seemed to take forever despite the fact the lobby area was very quiet. Checked into my room and there was a strange damp kind of smell in there, seemed to be coming from the shower room. Well designed room but personally I found it a little irritating, water comes out of the shower into the main room and I needed to use up towels to mop up the mess. Also I found the sink in the main room to be a problem as it was too shallow, made it difficult to scoop up water when shaving!
Otherwise a good location, could be that others will like the design aspect, not for me!!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Dear Barney70

Thank you for sharing your review with us. I was sorry to hear about your experience. Your feedback is important to us as we are always looking for ways to improve guests’ experiences. I will certainly share your feedback with the relevant heads of department to ensure that the highest level of standards and service are maintained at all times.

Notwithstanding this, I would very much like the opportunity to welcome you back again. Given the opportunity, please contact me directly as I would like to oversee your reservation personally. You can reach me via email on coen.vanniersen@whotels.com

New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2014

This is my 4th time to this hotel. The location is unbeatable for access to Central London restaurants, theaters, shopping, and nightlife.

During Check-In we had problems. Around 5 days before, I had submitted a Your24 request for a 9am check-in, which was confirmed, however I was upgraded about 4 hours later to a suite. This was my own fault - I forgot to resubmit the Your24 request. As such, we arrived around 9am and could not check in but was assured the suite was good, so we waited. And waited. And waited. The staff were great, but when we were unable to check in at 3:20pm (after going to the gym, walking around London a bit tired, etc), we became frustrated. The check-in agent went behind reception to speak to the manager - and came back with good news that we were upgraded (again) to a WOW Suite on the 7th floor, which was available immediately. This was a nice recovery and the manager, Andrew (who I recognized from my last stay) came out, apologized and mentioned it was the same suite I stayed in last time.

Indeed it was - this is very large room with 2 bathrooms, a bath, 2-3 person shower, large amenities, large sofa, separate bedroom. It's a great room with interesting features and a fantastic view of Wardour St & Leicester Sq.

The rest of the stay was uneventful and enjoyable. Ice was delivered to the room promptly. The gym was as good as I had remembered it (and complimentary). As reported, the 'bouncers' outside the hotel will block the entrance and ask if you are a guest each time you come back, but that didn't bother us. The bed is (still) great and we had a wonderful 2 nights here. My only other comment was that the room was not cleaned very well - I had spilled a few (dry) pieces of my falling-apart backpack on the sofa - this was not cleaned or vacuumed on Day 2, and overall the room just didn't look spotless like it should. This, and the check-in mixup, resulted in 4/5 - otherwise I would have given them a 5 for this trip. Great value, W - we will be back!

Room Tip: High Floors
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SamW_DC
Ian C, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Dear SamW_DC,

It’s good to receive such a great response. I am very pleased to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay with us at W London – Leicester Square.

However, I was sorry to hear your note about the lapse in service for cleanliness. I have since shared your feedback with the relevant heads of department to ensure standards are met at all times and I thank you for bringing this matter to my attention.

Your kind words on my team are greatly appreciated and I will certainly share this with all of them as they too will appreciate this immensely.

I look forward to your return to W London – Leicester Square.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2014

The W is great, if a little psychedelic looking on the outside with its fantastic colour changing walls that cover the whole hotel. This looks fabulous and also blocks out the noise from the street below when you are in your room. Once you are in the main hotel, it feels like walking around inside something that Apple designed, with lots of white and black decor, neon lighting and shiny surfaces. The corridors to lead you to the rooms are dark as night - felt a bit like you were in Abercrombie & Fitch as you could barely see anything but it felt luxurious! The bed in our room was ENORMOUS and deliciously firm and was such a feature with gorgeously fat, stiff pillows, cushions and duvet. The lighting in the room had loads of different settings to create different moods which are fun to play around with!

However, as the room was designed as an all-in-once living space, with the bathroom sink in the middle of the room, and the shower in separate sections, this presented 2 problems. First of all, as the shower was so minimalist there was no shower tray, so every time you took a shower, the water happily flooded the floor and headed threateningly towards the carpet. Thus, we had to surrender the W dressing gowns to mop up the flood each time. This only happened in one of the rooms we stayed in. On another visit, it was absolutely fine. The second problem is a little more delicate, as there is very little privacy to be had if you are in the toilet cubicle. The glass and metal doors are echoey and you can hear pretty much everything from the outside as essentially you are sitting in a frosted glass echo box! Also I just don't think separating the toilet from the sink is a good idea, why not keep it minimal but in the same place? The door also was super creaky when opened and closed and would wake the other person if you took a late night trip to the loo, but that could just be a case of needing a little WD40 on the hinges.

One other issue was the time we stayed on maybe the 5th floor, we seemed to be much nearer to the in-hotel bar and I had trouble sleeping as I could still hear the music late into the night. But the higher up the hotel you stay (7th floor was lovely and quiet)

The staff throughout were especially helpful, especially when I had been given a delicate orchid in a vase as a valentines gift by my boyfriend. On checkout day I wanted to go out and shop before I came to collect my things before my train, so they happily took care of the orchid and kept it with my belongings and even searched for a bag that would protect it on the way home which I really appreciated.

The whole experience was lovely, and great to leave behind the chaos of leicester square behind.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, go as high as you can up the floors to avoid noise from the hotel bar on the w...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Kristina J,

Thank you for sharing such a great review. I am pleased to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay with us at W London – Leicester Square. However, I was sorry to hear about your experience in the past. I appreciate your point about the décor, this is rather unique as our intention behind this concept is to both maximise space and keep our guests comfortable.

It’s also great to hear that you appreciated our friendly team. I will happily pass these compliment‘s on to them as they have been working very hard to make every guest feel special.

I look forward to welcoming you back again.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014

I have stayed at the W in Piccadilly twice and was equally impressed with both visits, immaculate rooms, the whole hotel has a very cool, modern vibe about it but with a relaxed atmosphere. Had dinner at The Spice Market which was amazing, staff so friendly and attentive. Cocktails although pricey, you get what you pay for - probably the best I've had in London. Rather fond of this hotel, especially its fabulous glittering décor!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear LF220788,

Thank you for your wonderful review. It is good to see a guest detailing their flawless guest experience. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at W London – Leicester Square including your dinner in Spice Market and your time in our W Lounge. Your kind words on my team are greatly appreciated and I will certainly be sharing these with all of them.

I hope to see you soon!

Leicester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2014

We stayed for two nights in June last year, and while it's very pricey it is very special inside. The lobby is very cool and modern in style, and the rooms are no different. While the rooms are a little on the small side, they offer a stylish stay in a fantastic location with plenty of dining and entertainment options in the vicinity.
I would definitely stay again, though would have to save up a bit first before going back!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Steve W,

Thank you for sharing your review. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us in June last year. It’s also wonderful to know you appreciated the design of our rooms and Welcome area including our excellent location. With regards to your point about the price, we do believe that our rates are competitive, however your feedback is important to us and we are always looking for ways to improve upon on our guests’ experiences.

I look forward to welcoming you back to W London – Leicester Square in the not to distance future.