“A Good Location”

Ranked #384 of 1,067 Hotels in London
London, United Kingdom
“A Good Location”
Reviewed November 30, 2013

W - Well What can I say? I have stayed at other W hotels before and thought I would redeem points to stay at this one in London. Location is excellent. Right in Chinatown and Leicester Square, Soho, Covent Garden, Piccadilly, Regent Street, etc. I actually live in London, so this is a weekend away for me and trust me you can't get any better with the location.

I went to hotel at 10am and the concierge told me my room will be ready in 1.5 hours if I wanted a room on a higher floor or I can have one straight away if I don't mind being on the 3rd Floor. I opted to wait and went to try out the gym.

Good size gym with lots of machines and free weights. The layout of the changing room is bizarre. Basically the lockers are located in a 'general access' area, so you have people walking around you next to the lockers. Then there are 2 changing/shower rooms opposite the lockers. Behind the lockers are the sauna/steam room. This is all shared (men/women) and as mentioned in a general access area so you could have people walking around this area.

As a SPG platinum member I request for a suite upgrade but didn't get it as was told that it was a Thanksgiving weekend and there were many other Platinum members checking in that weekend. So I accepted it and hope maybe at least I can get a corner room or one bigger than a basic room.

When I got to my room on the 5th Floor I was shocked. I mean I get the W concept which try and be different to other hotels but the layout of room is really not thought after carefully. The shower room and toilet is behind a set of mirror doors. The 'rain' shower is OK, nothing special. There is actually no bathroom as such as the toilet and shower 'flows' straight into the bedroom. There is a sink and counter top in the bedroom, but where are all the amenities? I had to call for toothbrush, shaving kit! There are no cotton bud, no comb and not to mention no tea/coffee making facilities, no slippers and I could go on…

The design of this counter top is also hazardous especially the dangerously sharp metal corners! I managed to cut myself a few times on these damn sharp edges! The wardrobe door slides across to act as a double soundproofing of the main bedroom door, otherwise you can hear people talking outside your room. Also I could hear the music from the first floor. The good thing about the room is the big windows and the comfortable bed.

I also don't get the number of bouncers at the main entrance every evening. If W wants to open the bar to general public, have a separate entrance for them. Let the hotel guests have a separate lift for us to get to our rooms. The W in Taipei has a separate lift after the 1st floor which is only accessible for hotel guests!

I like the location of the hotel and would stay only if I am using my points but I certainly won't pay (not cheap) to stay here.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank R L
Ian C, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this review, December 6, 2013
Dear R L

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. Please allow me to assure you that we take the feedback of our guests seriously and we always look for ways to improve our guests’ experiences. On this note, I would welcome the opportunity to discuss all the points highlighted by you in detail on a one-to-one basis.

Please feel free to contact me via email Ian.Ciappara@whotels.com at your convenience. Thank you once again and I look forward to hearing from you.

Ian

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (501)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed November 30, 2013

I arrived in London on a weekend, and the place was absolutely packed. There was a breakdown in the Underground so I had to take a taxi to the hotel. It was easy to find and the taxi had no problems finding it.

Check-in was quick and efficient. The room was already prepared and I was shown to it immediately. Staff were polite and courteous.

The room was extremely well-designed and functional. I loved the adjustable lighting and the sink in the middle of the room. There was however not much of a few as it was just low-lying buildings surrounding the hotel.

In the evening I went to the W lounge and had a great time with the very upmarket crowd. I discovered quickly that it was one of the most exclusive clubs in the area. The drinks were good albeit expensive and had a good range of creative cocktails. Some room service ended the night for me.

Check out was also quick and easy and the hotel called a taxi for me. When the taxi did not arrive, the doorman ran out to the street to try to manually flag down one for me. I was very impressed at this service and sincerely commend the staff.

A definite great place to stay in London!

Room Tip: Try to choose rooms at the end of the hallway as sometimes loud-speaking guests can be heard through...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Dear ClareSingapore88,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. It’s good to hear the overall experience of the guest experience such as yours. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us at W London – Leicester Square including the design of our bedrooms. Thank you for your kind words on my team. These are greatly appreciated and I will definitely be sharing these with them.

I look forward to your return.

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed November 29, 2013

the conceirges there are FANTASTIC: bernardo, Filippo
also Joshua Brown really puts the service over the top
they are all about exceeding expectations and making the guest experience great
the café on top has amazing coffees and the service is excellent
so are the bellmen and security on the bottom floor, always ready to help with directions and suggestions
this is a model for all W hotels
in fact I tell that to other hotel managers
Josh Brown can go and train some of them esp in Hollywood CA

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear allan r,

Thank you for sharing your review with us. It is always great to see a guest detailing a flawless guest experience with us at W London – Leicester Square. Thank you for your compliments to my team and especially Bernardo, Filippo also Joshua Brown. These kind notes hold great value to me and I will certainly thank them personally and share your note with my entire team.

I look forward to seeing you at W London – Leicester Square.

Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Reviewed November 26, 2013

My partner is a Platinum SPG member so he got us a room here during our recent vacation in London leveraging (a whole lotta) points. We flew in from a vacation in Prague on Saturday afternoon and left for the USA on the following Tuesday morning. Neither of us had been to London before. First, the hotel is located right in the times square of London! AWESOME LOCATION! (right beside the M&M store.) We were able to take the tube directly from Heathrow to Leicester Square (piccadilly line btw) without issue and walk only a couple of blocks to the hotel. There was always doormen waiting with a friendly smile and pleasant word. The check in desk was quite speedy and helpful as well as the Whatever Whenever desk. We actually stayed in a Fabulous Room for the first night and then the following night we were upgraded to a Cool Corner Suite. The Fab room was nice but it was weird having the bathroom inside of the room (the toilet and shower are in separate spaces but the sink sits in the middle of the room beside the bed). In the Cool room, things were similar but quite different. So the external room door actually opens to a small foyer area where you have to walk through another door to get into the room which was great privacy! You walk into the "bathroom area" where there's still a sink in the middle of the room with a longer counter top, a tub (with waiting bubble bath waiting AND a flat screen embedded in the wall so you can relax and watch TV. The shower and toilet were still separate and there is a wall of mirrors which make the shower and toilet blend into the room seamlessly. It's very hip and trendy as well as space efficient. Then you walk into a separate room where there was the bed, a desk, chaise lounge with tables/ottomans, another television and floor to ceiling windows overlooking the square! It was great!

I'd definitely recommend the hotel and location to anyone going to London for the first time or just looking to be in a great location with food/drink/entertainment options at your fingertips!

Only downside was our 4th floor room could "feel" the bass lines on Saturday and Sunday nights when they had the WYLD club open.

Room Tip: Choose a corner room with a view; Be mindful of the Thursday - Sunday club nights so if you're n...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear bryantrt08

It is always a pleasure to receive such a great review from our guests. I am very pleased to hear that you had a great time with us at W London – Leicester Square including the excellent location. I will certainly share your kind words with our Whatever/Whenever and the entire team.

I certainly look forward to seeing you on your next visit.

The Hague, The Netherlands
Reviewed November 25, 2013

This is one of the most user unfriendly hotels I have stayed in..... Whoever designed the rooms has obviously not spent much time in hotels. Good architecture and good interior design is all about creating inspiring, interesting spaces where people can live and be comfortable. This includes modern, cutting edge spaces too, so the "too modern" tag quoted by some reviewers is no excuse for this white elephant.... And this is not typical of W hotels - others I have stayed in are equally modern and aesthetic, but with far more user friendly and better laid out rooms - much larger too.

Down to the details as I lie in bed W-ondering.....
- Room is too cold - looks like I can only cool, not heat - solution: put shower on hot and steam room up (just as well the shower opens directly into the room)
- Bathroom is part of the room - obviously this was an old hotel with pre-determined (poky) small room sizes, and the architects thought "lets get rid of the bathroom" to make more space.
- Doors have absolutely no sound insulation (this is pathetic for a hotel of this standard)..... I can hear conversations in the corridor word-for-word
- Lights are unfathomable - what is wrong with simple on-off switches, labelled appropriately? Whoever did the electrics was a bloody idiot, to put is bluntly.
- I had to move rooms twice: first time my room was above the bar, and I could clearly hear the music playing (I called to complain - "you'll be fine, it stops at 1am" was the reply from reception....not good enough....).. The second room had a 2m high, super-sized photo of a young girl's face with her mouth taped shut and frightened eyes. This is extremely bad taste in most people's book, so I changed rooms again....lots of street noise but I don't have the energy to switch again, so a night with earplugs coming up.

What a disappointment - I strongly recommend people NOT to stay here. You can do much better in London in this price range.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms on the 3rd floor above the bar - very noisy
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Jon T
Dear JPdV,

Thank you for sharing your review with us. I am sorry to hear that your stay with us at W London – Leicester Square did not meet your expectation. I can assure you that we take the feedback of our guests seriously and we always look for ways to improve our guests’ experiences.

I would welcome the opportunity to discuss all the points you have highlighted in detail on a one-to-one basis. Please feel free to contact me via email Ian.Ciappara@whotels.com at your convenience

Thank you for your time again and I look forward to hearing from you.

Oxfordshire
Reviewed November 25, 2013

This hotel is extremely modern and quirky which is fantastic, the staff were all very pleasant and could not of been more helpful which is a great attribute to any hotel. The location is also very good next to Chinatown and near to Regent Street so great for the shops. The room although small was spotlessly clean and was very comfortable. Unfortunately the major downside to us was the noise from the DJ on the 1st Floor. I am very surprised that a modern hotel such that it is does not have sound proofing from the music. It was so loud we had to use ear plugs and even then you could still here the music and we were on the 3rd floor. We were so thrilled with the hotel when we arrived but unfortunately left feeling disappointed and extremely tired. Such a shame, probably would not return for this reason.

Room Tip: Request a high level floor opposite side to the reception
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear NEnright,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your stay with us at W London – Leicester Square.

I was sorry to hear that you did not entirely enjoy your stay due to the disturbance from our W Lounge. I can understand that at times it can be quite challenging to control external DJ’s. However, I would like to assure you that we take the feedback of our guests seriously, and we are always looking for ways to improve upon on our guests’ experiences. I have shared our comments with the relevant heads of department to ensure standards are met at all times.

I would like the opportunity to welcome you back to W London – Leicester Square. Please let me know when you plan your next stay, as I would like to oversee your reservation personally. You can reach me on Ian.Ciappara@whotels.com.

Reviewed November 24, 2013

I was on business in Europe for a week b4 my wife joined me in London during the weekend. Guest relations manager Jessica pat man was nice enough to upgrade my booking to WoW suite knowing it was my wife's first visit to London. It made our weekend v special and I will always remember it.

• Stayed November 2013
Ian C, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this review, November 28, 2013
Dear jlee0504,

Thank you for sharing your review. I am very pleased to hear that both you and your wife enjoyed your stay with us at W London – Leicester Square and in particular your wife enjoyed her visit to London. I would also like to thank you on behalf of Jessica Patman our Insider. I will personally thank her and will share your kind words with her and the rest of the entire team.

I look forward to your return to W London – Leicester Square.