“Ultra trendy! Space saving rooms! Fab location!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of W London Leicester Square

W London Leicester Square
Ranked #389 of 1,086 Hotels in London
Bromley, United Kingdom
“Ultra trendy! Space saving rooms! Fab location!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights in May 2013 and upgraded to a Fabulous room for £45. Was very nice and we could see the London Eye from our room. Mainly had room service for breakfast and dinners as we had been out partying! Staff were so friendly and couldn't do enough for us. Sent my husband up a cute birthday cupcake as it was his 40th. Would stay again as I love the W hotels!! :)

• Stayed May 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Ian C, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Dear Rachel V,

Thank you for sharing your review with us. I am delighted to hear that both you and your husband enjoyed your stay with us at W London – Leicester Square. It is always a pleasure to hear great feedback on my team. I will certainly be sharing your comments with all of them.

I hope to see you again soon.

Ian

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (486)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

I first booked the W for my birthday weekend. They had a great buy 3 nights, get 1 night free promotion so I thought it was a good opportunity to try the hotel. Am I glad I did!

I arrived two hours before check-in time, but the nice front desk lady had a room ready to go for me. She wished me happy birthday when she saw the date on my passport. Once I got up to the room, she also sent a very nice birthday card, and two complimentary drinks at the posh bar downstairs.

The room was beautiful - modern with floor-to-ceiling windows (and they open!). I've read some mixed reviews about the design of the rooms. I think if you prefer a more traditional surrounding then the W might not be for you; however, if you appreciate modern designs and funky elements. You will absolutely love the rooms at the W. The Wonderful Room is listed at 280 sq ft, but it feels much larger thanks to the complete open floorplan. The toilet and shower are hidden behind a large wall of mirrors; and the closet is behind a moving panel that also doubles as an additional door, brilliant space savers! Large California King bed, 42" LCD TV, fully stocked mini bar, lounge sofa, a large working desk that also has your washing sink on the other end.

I've ordered room service several times and have been very pleased with the food selection as well as the service. I find the staff at the W very friendly and helpful. Which unfortunately, isn't something I can say for some of the other five star establishments in London.

There is a 24 hour gym upstairs, as well as a steam room. Both are free for guests of the hotel. On the 2nd floor there is a work area with complimentary internet, 2 iMac work stations and 1 PC. Conference rooms are also available on the second floor. Spice Market is the resident restaurant, featuring Asian fusion treats and delicious western cocktails. The bar on the first floor is posh with lots of large sitting areas for comfort. Drinks are about $12-$14 a pop. Definitely not cheap but fair compare other five star hotels in London.

Location is arguably the best feature of this hotel. The W sits in the middle of Chinatown, with immediate access to tons of restaurants. Two underground stations within 10 minutes of walking - Charing Cross and Piccadilly Circus. A quick 5 minute walk puts you at Trafalgar Square, as well as Regent street for some retail therapy If you're up to it, Oxford Street is just a 15 minute walk away.

The only downside is given the entrance of the hotel is inside Chinatown. You're better off walking out to a main street if you need a cab.

Overall my experience at the W is A++. In fact, I liked it so much I returned for two more weekends after my first stay. If you are looking for a well designed hotel in a great location. I highly recommend the W at Leicester Square. Average nightly rate for a Wonderful Room is about 380GBP. However, do check their website as they often have great promotions.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank JJD82
Dear JJD82,

Thank you for sharing such a great review with us. I am very pleased to hear that your enjoyed your stay with us at W London – Leicester Square and your experience at Spice Market.

Your kind words on my team are greatly appreciated and I will certainly be sharing your comments with all of them.

I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to W London – Leicester Square.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

I stayed for a couple of nights due to some work commitments in the City. The location for getting anywhere in London is great. Plenty of restaurants at all levels close by, shopping, bars and actually not bad for getting into the City. Service is patchy - some of the staff are incredibly helpful, others are just too pretty/trendy to be bothered. Hotel room layout is 'interesting'. The rooms are quite small and the shower and toilet are in closet like cubicles in the room with the sink as part of a workbench that also functions as a table and a desk. I was not a big fan of the cubicle approach and there seems to be a design problem with the shower cubicle that necessitates a towel being placed by the door to stop the water running into the room. The lights in the toilet are movement sensitive, so if you have been motionless for a minute or two, you are suddenly plunged into darkness. Much waving is required from the sitting position to get the lights back on. The "workbench" approach is fine, if you are only doing one thing on there but if you are trying to work, eat dinner and might need to use the sink, it all gets very chaotic, water gets everywhere and toothbrushes end up being handed back with dinner trays. I could not work out how to turn the lights off. The best I could manage was "essence of brothel" with a random purple light, the shaving mirror light and some backlight on the bed remaining on despite my best efforts. Bed was incredibly comfortable and despite the lights, I slept remarkably well. Did not visit bar or restaurant as there is so much else around. Overall, this may be a hotel that is targeting a lifestyle crowd rather than a business one.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Daaxs S
Ian C, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Dear Daaxs S,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay with us at W London – Leicester Square.

We value your feedback and I would welcome the opportunity to discuss all the points you have highlighted on a personal basis. Please feel free to contact me via email on Ian.Ciappara@whotels.com at your convenience.

Thank you and I shall look forward to hearing from you.

Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2013

First!! I love this hotel BUT...it isn't for everyone. The pluses -1)Fantastic location in Leicester Square in Soho. Great restaurants, theater district, funky shops and Piccadilly area 2) great friendly staff 3) Amazing scene in the lounge bar 4) The hottest club Wyld in London The Minuses 1) Do not book a standard room. There is zero privacy if you are more then one person, half of the bathroom is in the middle of the room. 2) hard to get taxis so walk a block up to Piccadilly and get one. 3) expensive.

One of my 6 nights there the alarm went off 21 times during an 8 hour period and we even evacuated the hotel on one occasion at 1:10am. They were all technical issues. I complained that I did not sleep and the front desk cheerfully credited my bill for one nights stay. All in all I will be back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking Leicester square to see the massive groups of folks
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank haddad007
Dear haddad007,

Thank you for great review following your stay with us a W London – Leicester Square. I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us.

I was sorry to hear about your experience during the fire alarm activations. I can assure you our engineer’s team worked well in order to rectify this. I hope this did not cause you too much of inconvenience.

I would like the opportunity to welcome you back, please do not hesitate to contact me via email when you plan your next visit as I would like to oversee your reservation. You can reach me on Ian.Ciappara@whotels.com

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2013

As you're arriving to this hotel you see this massive see-through light and glass display that already makes you think your heading to a futuristic modern-experience. Please check online how they built this hotel its very cool. Everything around here is walking distance restaurants, sightseeing, theaters,Chinatown, I mean everything! Thai-Fusion restaurant inside hotel is very good! At the entrance Staff are attentive and on top of their game(great bar recommendations - ECC was amazing ). I'll never forget the Magic of the W service is : whenever, whatever! Yes literally .... Now the bedrooms are small ( London is determining that) but they are something I've never seen; imagine a closet that looks like a mirrored wall is your toilet and next to it is your shower? Just pure genius. I felt it was different in a cool way and obliviously great space saver.
Mixology at the lounge has really good cocktails, and amazing peanuts! As chef I don't get impressed easily so I asked the waiter if I could have some extra peanuts and guess what I had a big bowl upstairs in my room waiting for me.
One last thing just remember that spectacular service isn't cost efficient so bring plenty of pounds :-).

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Alejandro S
Dear Alejandro S,

I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. Your kind notes on my team are greatly appreciated and I will certainly share with all of them.

I look forward to your return to W London – Leicester Square in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

We stayed in the new W London Hotel last week for four nights and we left a bit disappointed.
The Hotel has all the right ingredients to make it very fashionable and trendy. It is located two minutes walk from the heart of London busy Leicester square without actually been in the square. It is a great advantage as the street where the hotel is it is very quite, accessible by taxi and car and two minutes walk from Leicester Square Tube Station.
The hotel is very trendy and well decorated as many of the others W Hotels where we stayed like New York and Los Angeles.
The room are not very big but with all the comfort, including Wi Fi connection, plasma TV.
The one thing I really didn't like about the room we stayed is the lay out. I think it is very awkward rather than been very original. The bathroom sink has been designed not only to be a sink but also to be a kind of bench in this beautiful White Corian but it is located right in the middle of the room. The toilet and the shower are two separate rooms.
The disadvantages of it are many in my opinion. First of all it takes a lot of the space, and don't forget the rooms are relatively speaking small. Secondly there is no privacy as you are literally brushing your teeth in the bedroom.
Apart from that the room is nice enough but not stunning for 250 pounds a night.
The gym is very well equipped and brand new with good weights and machines. The coolest part of the hotel is the bar, which is becoming very popular for the London scene. The cocktails lists is very good same as the wine. Be prepared to the London city centre prices though. The bar gets incredibly busy during the week end especially on a Friday evening and there is not much space for standing. It is quite trendy but in my opinion not as trendy as the bar in the Soho Hotel.
The next big disappointment was the Spice Market restaurant. The restaurant is located on the ground floor of the hotel and it is part of it. Very trendy and lovely deco but unfortunately very average food and quite expensive. It is supposed to be an Asian infusion restaurant. the menu looks great and very appealing with vey good variety of dishes but unfortunately the execution does not much the expectation. Also the bill at the end of the meal is quite high.
The staff generally speaking is quite good without been too attentive for a four star hotel. The majority are young, good looking guys that spend more time chatting to each rather than paying attention to customer.
Overall not a great experience for the price.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear IrishItalian1,

Thank you for sharing your feedback following your stay with us at W London – Leicester Square. I was sorry to hear your stay with us was not to your satisfaction.

I would have personally liked the opportunity discus all points mentioned by you in detail. Please feel free to contact me via email on Ian.Ciappara@whotels.com anytime so that I can discuss these matters with you at your convenient.

Once again, thank you and I look forward to hearing from you.

Barcelona, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2013 via mobile

Everything was perfect: location, service, room, etc

I've seen reviews that talk about noisy..we were in 3th floor and we slept like a baby... The only place that people can consider noisy is the lounge. But come on, you are staying in a W Hotel! If you want to drink a Tea and read a book at 8pm at the hotel Lounge you are in the wrong place.

If I have to go back to London I have no doubt..this is the place to stay.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear DBV58,

Thank you for sharing your great review following your recent say with us at W London – Leicester Square. I'm very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and in particular the comforts of your room.

I look forward to welcoming you back.