“Trendy, Grovvy and DIFFERENT”

W London Leicester Square
Ranked #401 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed May 25, 2013

First!! I love this hotel BUT...it isn't for everyone. The pluses -1)Fantastic location in Leicester Square in Soho. Great restaurants, theater district, funky shops and Piccadilly area 2) great friendly staff 3) Amazing scene in the lounge bar 4) The hottest club Wyld in London The Minuses 1) Do not book a standard room. There is zero privacy if you are more then one person, half of the bathroom is in the middle of the room. 2) hard to get taxis so walk a block up to Piccadilly and get one. 3) expensive.

One of my 6 nights there the alarm went off 21 times during an 8 hour period and we even evacuated the hotel on one occasion at 1:10am. They were all technical issues. I complained that I did not sleep and the front desk cheerfully credited my bill for one nights stay. All in all I will be back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking Leicester square to see the massive groups of folks
1  Thank haddad007
Ian C, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2013

Dear haddad007,

Thank you for great review following your stay with us a W London – Leicester Square. I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us.

I was sorry to hear about your experience during the fire alarm activations. I can assure you our engineer’s team worked well in order to rectify this. I hope this did not cause you too much of inconvenience.

I would like the opportunity to welcome you back, please do not hesitate to contact me via email when you plan your next visit as I would like to oversee your reservation. You can reach me on Ian.Ciappara@whotels.com

Ian

Write a ReviewReviews (2,060)

Reviewed May 24, 2013

As you're arriving to this hotel you see this massive see-through light and glass display that already makes you think your heading to a futuristic modern-experience. Please check online how they built this hotel its very cool. Everything around here is walking distance restaurants, sightseeing, theaters,Chinatown, I mean everything! Thai-Fusion restaurant inside hotel is very good! At the entrance Staff are attentive and on top of their game(great bar recommendations - ECC was amazing ). I'll never forget the Magic of the W service is : whenever, whatever! Yes literally .... Now the bedrooms are small ( London is determining that) but they are something I've never seen; imagine a closet that looks like a mirrored wall is your toilet and next to it is your shower? Just pure genius. I felt it was different in a cool way and obliviously great space saver.
Mixology at the lounge has really good cocktails, and amazing peanuts! As chef I don't get impressed easily so I asked the waiter if I could have some extra peanuts and guess what I had a big bowl upstairs in my room waiting for me.
One last thing just remember that spectacular service isn't cost efficient so bring plenty of pounds :-).

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Alejandro S

Dear Alejandro S,

I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. Your kind notes on my team are greatly appreciated and I will certainly share with all of them.

I look forward to your return to W London – Leicester Square in the near future.

Reviewed May 23, 2013

We stayed in the new W London Hotel last week for four nights and we left a bit disappointed.
The Hotel has all the right ingredients to make it very fashionable and trendy. It is located two minutes walk from the heart of London busy Leicester square without actually been in the square. It is a great advantage as the street where the hotel is it is very quite, accessible by taxi and car and two minutes walk from Leicester Square Tube Station.
The hotel is very trendy and well decorated as many of the others W Hotels where we stayed like New York and Los Angeles.
The room are not very big but with all the comfort, including Wi Fi connection, plasma TV.
The one thing I really didn't like about the room we stayed is the lay out. I think it is very awkward rather than been very original. The bathroom sink has been designed not only to be a sink but also to be a kind of bench in this beautiful White Corian but it is located right in the middle of the room. The toilet and the shower are two separate rooms.
The disadvantages of it are many in my opinion. First of all it takes a lot of the space, and don't forget the rooms are relatively speaking small. Secondly there is no privacy as you are literally brushing your teeth in the bedroom.
Apart from that the room is nice enough but not stunning for 250 pounds a night.
The gym is very well equipped and brand new with good weights and machines. The coolest part of the hotel is the bar, which is becoming very popular for the London scene. The cocktails lists is very good same as the wine. Be prepared to the London city centre prices though. The bar gets incredibly busy during the week end especially on a Friday evening and there is not much space for standing. It is quite trendy but in my opinion not as trendy as the bar in the Soho Hotel.
The next big disappointment was the Spice Market restaurant. The restaurant is located on the ground floor of the hotel and it is part of it. Very trendy and lovely deco but unfortunately very average food and quite expensive. It is supposed to be an Asian infusion restaurant. the menu looks great and very appealing with vey good variety of dishes but unfortunately the execution does not much the expectation. Also the bill at the end of the meal is quite high.
The staff generally speaking is quite good without been too attentive for a four star hotel. The majority are young, good looking guys that spend more time chatting to each rather than paying attention to customer.
Overall not a great experience for the price.

Dear IrishItalian1,

Thank you for sharing your feedback following your stay with us at W London – Leicester Square. I was sorry to hear your stay with us was not to your satisfaction.

I would have personally liked the opportunity discus all points mentioned by you in detail. Please feel free to contact me via email on Ian.Ciappara@whotels.com anytime so that I can discuss these matters with you at your convenient.

Once again, thank you and I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed May 22, 2013

Everything was perfect: location, service, room, etc

I've seen reviews that talk about noisy..we were in 3th floor and we slept like a baby... The only place that people can consider noisy is the lounge. But come on, you are staying in a W Hotel! If you want to drink a Tea and read a book at 8pm at the hotel Lounge you are in the wrong place.

If I have to go back to London I have no doubt..this is the place to stay.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

Dear DBV58,

Thank you for sharing your great review following your recent say with us at W London – Leicester Square. I'm very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and in particular the comforts of your room.

I look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed May 21, 2013

If you are traveling for business and need a functional hotel, this is not for you. If you want a hip, funky place that's got the usual oddball W features, you'll be fine. As others have said, the lounge has a pulsing music that permeates all rooms - and I was lucky enough to be on the 2nd floor right next to the lounge.
I needed to print documents and the "business center" had both printers not working, and one computer couldn't even get on the internet.
In the room, you can't actually turn all the lights off. The best you can do is reduce it to a blacklight. And it will take you ten minutes to figure out how to even get there.
The TV remote didn't work (doesn't anyone check these things?)
The front desk person gave me direction via the tube that had me needing to change trains four times. Once there, work associates informed me I only needed to change trains once and could have arrived in half the time. When I joked lightheartedly with the front desk person upon my return, he informed me "I don't really know the tube well." Um...isn't that part of your job??? And at least tell me that!
The front desk staff seemed like they were both only on their 2nd day of the job.

Good things: the location is great, it's very funky modern if that's what you're looking for, you definitely feel chic staying here. And the gym is a nice size with good equipment

Room Tip: don't stay near the lounge if you want to sleep normal hours
3  Thank TravelinMan718
Ian C, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2013

Dear TravelinMan718,

Thank you for sharing your feedback following your recent stay with us. I was sorry to hear you did not entirely enjoy your stay at W London – Leicester Square.

With regards to the knowledge of transportation, I have addressed this with the relevant managers to ensure further training is implemented in order to maintain the highest levels of standards and service which is expected at W London – Leicester Square. I apologise for the inconvenience caused to you on this occasion.

Furthermore, I welcome the opportunity to discuss all the points you have highlighted in detail. Please feel free to contact me via email Ian.Ciappara@whotels.com at your convenience.

Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed May 20, 2013

Travelling with a friend who arranges conferences, the W Hotel was admittedly wooing us but, none the less, I have to say, this was a fantastic place to stay with very few caveats (I'll illustrate in a moment). First, check in went relatively smooth but did take a little time (probably because it was a gift room). We were sent to our sixth floor suite which featured a very large bath with a separate tub and very nice accessories. While we did not get an "amenity pack" (like wine and cheese), they did provide lots of free bottles of water. The larger section of the room featured a king bed (rare in Europe) and a nice sofa. We were on a corner which was fantastic at 2pm -- not so much at 4 am. I have to say this is IN NO WAY the fault of the hotel but rather the street performers on Leicester Square.

The only other complaint (which happened in two of our rooms) was the slow-draining sink. This was oddly shaped and irritating at best to clean once done shaving. Shower was very nice with the option of a wand or the rain shower (and instant hot water, which is common there).

Service was EXCELLENT -- they all tried very hard to please you and were quite attentive. Anything we needed (including a voltage adapter) was supplied with urgency. They're lobby club was VERY nice and then the Wylde night club was truly amazing (although a bit small). The DJ was simply incredibly. We stayed dancing until about 4 or 5 am. Expensive drinks, but who cares. Lots of pretty people having a wonderful time.

Location was supreme -- we were just steps from the underground and they had car services available 24/7. Leicester is close to most all the theaters and night life -- especially if you are gay.

Bottom line... If you are afraid of noise, stay on the back side (Above Spice Market). Much, much quieter. I would definitely stay again if I could secure a good deal.

Room Tip: As mentioned, if you are afraid of the nightlife noises, stay on the back side above the spice marke...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Travelfooldenver,

Thank you for sharing your feedback following your stay with us at W London – Leicester Square. I am very pleased to hear you had a fantastic stay.

However, I was sorry to hear you experienced some issues in the bathroom. I have shared your feedback with our Chief Engineer to ensure our bathrooms are re-visited to rectify these issues.

Your kind note on my team is greatly appreciated and I will certainly share this with all of them.

Thank you and I hope to see you at W London – Leicester Square soon.

Reviewed May 20, 2013

Like the place, good food in restaurant and also nice rooms.
But there is no choice of food in restaurant.
Good Wine, can be suggested.
Location is pretty good, lots of restaurants are over there.
Spa is pretty nice, but there is nothing special
Entertainment was pretty good.
Service is also very good.
The hotel is modern and stylish.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Martin360,

Thank you for your great review. I am pleased to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay with us at W London – Leicester Square. Your feedback Spice Market is greatly appreciated and I will certainly share this with our Chef.

I look forward to welcoming you back to W London – Leicester Square.