“Trendy hotel with lousy service.”

W London Leicester Square
Ranked #384 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Goteborg, Sweden
“Trendy hotel with lousy service.”
Reviewed December 20, 2012

I give this hotel a 4 based on the nice deal we got. It is hard to find a decent centrally located hotel with ok room size in London. It is a shame that their service is so bad and if service is one of your top priorities, chose another hotel. If you can see beyond that, the hotel is a nice and different experience. Like "been there done that".

The hotel has walking distance to sightseeing, theatres and shopping and makes this place to a perfect weekend hotel. Entrance is marked with a huge W sign which makes you believe this is a nightclub rather than a hotel.
Nice bar and lounge with sofas in the lobby (free WiFi here). Never entered the BAR behind doors as it was mostly visited by people in the young 20:ties.

Check-in:
So unprofessional. First room had a nasty smelling of sewage. Maintenance guy agreed and suggested room change. Check in clerk deeply sighed and asked why we were not satisfied. No appologize...
Second room - no issues at all.

Room:
Layout has been discussed in numerous reviews already. Here are my issues.
I really enjoyed the colours and furniture. A nice change from colour less and boring buisness rooms at other hotels. Comfortable bed with soft cusions.
Sink in middle of room too shallow. Everything on and around the sink and desk (desk and sink is integrated...) gets wet, even floor.
As you step out of shower and enter room immediately, floor gets wet and you need to have towels everywhere. Slipper are NOT provided and they are highly needed!
You will here all noises coming from the toilet.
Surprinsingly poor selection of TV channels. Mostly news in different languages.

WIFI:
Completely useless. Paid for in-room wifi, did not manage once to connect my IPHONE either in room or in the free wifi zone in the lobby. My husband manage once in a while and it was painfully slow. In all other places as Starbucks etc I had no problems at all.

Breakfast:
Served at Spice Market. Healthy and fresh. A lot of fresh berries, sourdough bread, homemade cereals, smoked salmon, smoothies etc. This is the continental version. If you order eggs etc from the menu, you will get a discount on the continental buffe.

Gym:
Very well equipped and one of the better hotel gyms I have experienced. They also have a SPA which I did not try.

Staff:
Staff feels young and untrained and have a very bad attitiude. They make you feel as if you should be grateful for letting you stay at their hip hotel.
Again at check out nobody apologized for making us having go change room. No "was everything alright" or "thank you, hoping to see you again soon" or "do you need help with transport". Just asking for credit card.
I have received far better service at McDonalds.

Will I return?
With family and small children - NO, not with the type of set-up of the room.
In business - for a few days and IF they get the WIFI working properly and TV channels improved
For a longer stay - NO
With friends - if you are really good friends and like to get naked in front of each other as it is not easy to change in "bathroom"
With the loved one for a weekend trip - yes

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Ian C, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Dear Astrid,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay at W London Leicester Square. I am very sorry to hear that we failed to meet your expectations on this visit.

I would like to apologise for the issues which you raised regarding service; and the issues in room. I am disappointed to hear about the failure to meet the service levels which I expect from the team. I can only assure you that we will continue to implement further training in order to keep service levels at the high standard that they should be.

Regarding the issues in room, these were resolved by our Engineering department during this period but I do apologise for any inconvenience caused and I can understand this is frustrating.
On a positive note, I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the breakfast in Spice Market and our gym, Sweat.

Astrid, do let me know if you would like to return to W London as I would be more than happy to oversee your reservation on a return trip.

Ian

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (500)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
worlddivingtraveller
Reviewed December 19, 2012

> this review is for the BAR, (not the attatched hotel which is excellent.)

This BAR is horrible, very 'bad attitude' bar staff ('snobby' in fact).
Drink costs are exhorborant, and do NOT reflect the bar, which is very basic and lacks any atmosphere at all.
The cocktails were very expensive, and disgusting; not quality by any imagination, in fact I have tasted far better at TGI Fridays for a third of the price!
Do go to this bar if you want very poor service and brag about the amount you've overpaid.
Do NOT go here if you want any decent quality drinks, or a venue with any atmosphere run by friendly staff.
very, very dissapointed, we left,having felt 'mugged' after just one (very expensive and poor) round of drinks.

Room Tip: look at the prices, before you order, and realise what you are (not) paying for !
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank worlddivingtraveller
Ian C, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Dear Worlddivingtraveller,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent visit to W London Leicester Square. I am very sorry to hear that your visit to our bar was not more positive.

At W London we do feel that our bar prices are in line with our main competitors in similar hotels in Central London.

I would very much like to discuss the other issues which you have raised personally on a one to one basis. If you would like to take this opportunity please contact me directly. My EA’s email is: denne.dempsey@whotels.com.

Poland
Reviewed December 16, 2012

It was our 2nd stay in W London. It's a great place in the heart of London and we love it. But at check-in stuff couldn't recognize us as a gold members of SPG. We haven't been upgraded. We got room 405 and it was in front of housekeeping place, all the time we heard opening and closing doors. At the end we only get free WI-FI access. I hope next time will be better.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Martini,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay at W London Leicester Square. I am happy to hear that you love it here at W London.

Please let me know if you do decide to return to stay as I will be happy to oversee your room allocation and hopefully have you in a quieter location for your next visit.

Hong Kong
Reviewed December 15, 2012

Some people still do not understand that attitude has no place in hip hotels. The check in clerk, was so busy being pretty looking like Chris O'Donnell that he forgot to smile and welcome me, the female supervisor or maybe waitress at the Lobby Cafe at 2pm made sure I know what an idiot I am when asking what this outlet was called..."well this is the W Lounge of course" and then had no intention to smile at me or thank me for my order! Please understand, I am a customer, you need me to get a salary and hey, there are plenty of cool hotels I can spend my money at! I have a choice!
Besides, thank you for parking a Housekeeping Trolley in the super dark corridors and covering it with a dark drape. I bumped into a few times! The room design is ok, but big issues with the in room lighting, none of the pre-set levels was what I needed, either too bright or too dark. The showers are uncomfortable as every time I opened the door into the room it pushed away the floor mat so you are forced to step onto cold slippery stone floor. The so called sink is 5cm deep and does not drain and since the regular bathroom mirrors are replaced with wall mirrors, they are all far and distort your image drastically (not in a good way) making you feel very special in the mornings!
I love W Hotels but I guess here W stand more for "Whatever...."

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear Captain Kirk,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay at W London. I am sorry to hear about the issues which you experienced.

I would also like to apologise that the service levels which you received at Welcome desk and in the W Lounge were not to the high standard that I would expect from the team. I can assure you these issues have since been addressed within those departments.

Furthermore, I am sorry that the design features in the hotel was not more to your liking and you found it a bit difficult. It was our intention to have the rooms designed to both maximise space and keep our guests comfortable. However, I can understand that this is not everyone’s taste and I am sorry that this was disappointing.

I would love to be able to welcome you back to W London and make sure your next visit exceeds your expectations so please feel free to contact me directly if you would consider returning to us again.

Ian Ciappara
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

As frequent traveller and SPG gold - W frequent guest :
Pro : location, infrastructure (room, gym) - excellent SPA suites with private steamroom - highly recommended
Neg : total lack of W standards - this hotel is noisy as hell during the weekends - we stayed in a SPA suite on top floor but were still beaten out of our bed by some overhyped party atmosphere on 1st floor.
Completely crazy, especially considering that the party potential is low - small area, limited facilities and above all frequented by rather dodgy oversized egos (which seem to be more appreciated then the hotel's guests ?)
Breakfast is ok but basic for W. Security at entrance have more interest for party kids then guests. (Entrance completely misses its grandeur.. M&M's took it for some cash.. Bad decision !)
Recommendations to duty managers are completely ignored - not put into practice.

There is something seriously wrong with the way this hotel is run. Starwood management needs to look into the (mis)management of this property before it is too late.

Finally, comparing this W property in London with W Barcelona is like comparing an alcoholic with an olympic - the first still needs to realise there is a problem.

• Stayed December 2012
3 Thank Extensive_traveller7
Dear Extensive traveller,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay at W London. I am sorry to hear that your experience was not a more positive one on this visit.

I understand that you have been in touch with our Director of Rooms and that he is discussing the points which you have raised with you personally.

I trust that this will be resolved to your satisfaction.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 9, 2012

This hotel is in a great location central to everything in the west end. I was based in a small but modern studio room on the 4th floor. (No noise issues) When I first turned up the booking was in my friends name so I wasn't able to check in straight away but I was given a complimentary drink at the bar while I waiting for them to turn up. The staff couldn't do enough especially the blonde lady at the concierge who recommended a number of great restaurants in the local area. She also sorted out our guest list for the wyld bar/club at the hotel. I forgot my tooth brush on the trip and after ringing reception I had one brought to the room within 5-10 minutes of asking. As a regular user of the W hotels I'd definitely stay at the London one again. Also thanks to Jessica who located my iPhone charger which was left in the room and arranged for it to be collected.

Room Tip: Request a room on the 4th floor or higher.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Ian C, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Dear Anthony,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay at W London. I am very pleased to hear that you had a great experience on your weekend away.

The two ladies at Concierge are our W Insider team, Jess and Nicola. I will pass on your comments which will make their day.

See you soon.

shanghai
Reviewed December 9, 2012

Pre Xmas break with my wife. Upgraded room due to Platinum SPG card - but no space for a club lounge, so disappointing.

Rooms very small but location superb (adjacent to Leicester Square and Circus tube stations and Chinatown)

Checking in and out painfully slow. Only 3 desks/staff s takes ages. If your room is occupied by a Platinum guest requests g late 4pm checkout you may not get in till 5pm! We arrived 6am and for in luckily at 1.30pm - but we were able to use the excellent gym showers to clean up.

Breakfast in the relentlessly trendy Spice Market restaurant was good - coffee 10/10 but note cold buffet is free to club members but extra charge for any hot items.

All in all enjoyable and luxurious hotel, and providing you are aware that the small room size is offset by the location ms trendiness you won't be disappointed

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank souness55
Dear Souness,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay at W London. I am very sorry to hear that your experience was not more positive on this occasion.

I am sorry that we were unable to grant an early check in for you. We would love to accommodate this for our valued Platinum SPG members but unfortunately we can only guarantee this upon availability. I am sorry that it was not available on this occasion and I can understand that it was disappointing.

On a more positive note, I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the breakfast in Spice Market and our central location near Soho.