“Good (not excellent - but not average either), fresh concept, aimed at the younger and richer!”

W London Leicester Square
Ranked #402 of 1,071 Hotels in London
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Been going to London, almost every year, for the last 15 years with only few exceptions, and have tried several hotels in that period. Also, let it be noted that though in the first few years I was partly burdened with sightseeing, now, my main focus is shopping, fun and friends, as hardly any sightseeing crops up and if it does it is bound to be stress-free and always in a relaxed fashion.

Facts: Its location is so perfect (for downtown London) that you can hardly tell which station of the two (Leicester sq or Piccadilly Circus) is closer. Just off china town, the W is constructed in an incongruous fashion (ie: hardly harmonious with the surrounding buildings), but by being so, one might say that it at least manages to convey an honest hint of what exactly it is: a good (niche) hotel, in the heart of London, aimed at the very particular consumer groups of the younger (only in the heart included or agewise as well) and richer (in the literal sense of the word, I am afraid). Classy, beaty music audible across its halls and public spaces almost on a 24/7 basis, courteous young people at the ground floor door (reception being on the first floor) making sure, as they should, you realize that you are entering a private place (nothing rude or snotty - it would be unfair to say that), dim lighting along the corridors all throughout the hotel promoting relaxation and an uplifting sense of clubbing mood (occasionally enhanced by scattered disco balls of all sizes, hanging from the ceiling as part of the overall decor) meandering throughout the premises, the W boasts (and indeed manages to provide) glam (whatever that may be) and the chance to see and be seen in an open-minded, gay friendly (as their in-room TV commercial suggests), VIP environment!!!
General personal comments: Please note that much as I was going to it rather biased against it (having read all this negative-ish input, to do with the W, I was happy to see that in the end the hotel managed to win me over. Clearly, it is a unique hotel (for the so far London standards), though it is rather likely to be more appealing to the younger guests or at least to those who are open to new ideas and will not mind a soft beat (loud would only be an exaggeration - and I am trying to avoid that) as a background to their thoughts and privacy! I found it pleasing and it never stopped me - throughout my 3 night stay with the W - sleeping, enjoying my serenity, privacy and company, in general, (being on the third floor as I was - only two floors up from the reception and main lounge/club), for it was simply not audible!

Room personal comments: Being in a 'Wonderful' (as it is wittily categorized) room looking onto Wardour str. (room 324), for three nights, I found it, stylishly decorated, in a 2012-like manner, with clean surfaces, reflective materials and a fashion-oriented concept design (understandably easy though it can be, still, slightly bordering on exaggeration, sometimes) prevailing. Spacious enough, with an inviting king size bed and a corian (in the shade of beige/off-white) countertop featuring the vanity area (sink, big cleverly lit face mirror) clean and stripped of all loud attempts to decorate, displaying an outstanding sense of space awareness (featuring an iron, iron-board, a spacious wardrobe with a sliding door that would easily keep your room from sight while receiving an order, in the case of in-room dining, a safe, handy sockets in the right places with adaptors provided - if needed at all.) I suppose the lack of the elsewhere easily found (in almost all the other hotels) tea making facilities, within the room, is to be put down to the fact that the hotel is aimed at the rich and therefore the 4,5 quid for a mere cup of tea would be immaterial. I said niche hotel, didn't I? (that, in itself, should cover it). Glam costs, guys!!!
The toilet seat and the shower are in two separate booths within the room which is quite convenient but if one is a reader when one sits on the toilet seat then one is bound to find it difficult to read, for, minute/(s) after you walk into the toilet, all the lights go out but one blue light – rendering your Al Bundy/married with children kind of sport outdated. So, if you stubbornly insist on indulging, you will only find yourself all too often practicing halting the traffic better than a traffic policeman does (for you will have developed a way of doing it while being sitted), by raising your arm every now and then in an upright manner so that the movement detector will put the light back on!!! (You see what I mean by “…bordering on a slight exaggeration”, now?). As to the shower, it is really good, effective and uplifting to practically have rain fall on you in a spacious booth and in always dim purple-blue lighting, this time welcome, especially if you’ve put on a few pounds after your summer holidays and will rather choose not to see them until you decide to do something about them (the mirrors surrounding you mist out so they should not be a problem – don’t worry!)!!!
Last but not least comes…service: In-room dining service was effective and on time every time I used it, but, I am afraid this ‘whatever…whenever…’ kind of slogan should be ditched for a) there were times when I called and got no answer and b) twice, when I did get an answer the receiver of my call could not speak English very well (in fact, one might even say there was a problem of accuracy in the communication unacceptable for a 5* hotel and for 400 quid per night). Still, when they understood what I wanted, I must give them credit for providing a prompt enough service.
There was also an issue with cleanliness. The room is not cleaned enough! By the bedside table there were pieces of rubbish (left from previous guests – obviously, and who knows for how long) and too much dust, a sign of poor quality hovering and two or three times the housekeeper didn’t replenish our toiletries and we had to ask for them (if there was an answer!!!) It goes without saying that there was no turn-down service, either! Sorry guys, but truth should be told! A 5* hotel should be a 5* hotel! You can ask the earth for your service, but, when one buys it, you should honor your part of the deal!!!
On the good side, now, the 1st floor lounge bar, seating arrangement and general décor is really great, promoting fun and a chatty/absolutely friendly atmosphere with an excellent choice/repertoire of sound/music played by a DJ and fire-lit décor. The bar tender and waiters/waitresses were cutely prompt and eager to make you pleased with their service! The whatever…whenever guys though, I am sorry to say didn’t even ask me to sit down WHENEVER I approached them, for one reason or another!
Also, make sure you tell them what time exactly you will be leaving the room, upon your check-out, as our five star room door was locked three quarters of an hour before 12:00 o'clock when the check-out time customarily is. We had to get in through the maid's key to get our luggage, in order to go downstairs to officially check out at the reception area.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Ian C, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2012

Dear CM,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay at W London. I appreciate such an extensive review from you.

I am happy to hear that we left you with a favourable view of the hotel. I have also taken on board all of the constructive points which you have raised.

I am sorry to hear about the service you described with the Whatever Whenever desk and I will be looking into how we can improve training standards in this area to meet the high standards which we aim for.

On a positive note, it’s great that you enjoyed the unique features of the design in the hotel; and had fun in our bars enjoying the music.

Please feel free to contact me to discuss any points raised here as I would be very happy to do this.

I do hope we see you return to stay with us again in future.

There are newer reviews for W London Leicester Square

Reviewed October 13, 2012

Rooms are very small. The rooms are definitely not designed for the business traveler. Staff thinks a little too much of themselves to be helpful and will actually lie to make you go away. I cannot imagine how this Hotel is getting the good review ratings I have stayed at the hotel twice now (about 9 months apart) and both times the stay experience has been the same. This time was worse only because the stay was longer.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Gawnastray

Dear Gawnastary,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay at W London Leicester Square. I am very sorry to hear that your stay was not more positive on this occasion.

I am sorry that the rooms were not designed more to your liking as we did aim to maximise space during the design process for the comfort of all guests. I can understand this must be disappointing.

I would also like to apologise that the staff did not appear helpful. That is certainly not what we would expect from our team.

I would be very happy to discuss these issues personally with you. If you are interested please feel free to contact me via my PA. Denne.dempsey@whotels.com.

Again, please accept my apologies that your stay was not more pleasant.

Reviewed October 12, 2012

Stayed 3 nights, 2nd floor. Nice room, good bar. Location right on the corner of Leicester Square where the old Swiss Centre was. Major problem is that a key feature of a hotel is you should be able to sleep. Sadly the club goes on til 3am so sleep out of the question. Cue very snoozy man every morning. I commented on it at checkout - the front desk staff clearly have to try to deal with such comments on a daily basis. It's not their fault, nothing they can do - implied the same problem whichever floor you stay on. Re. comments on here about the 'bouncers' - no probs for me. Recognised me each time, always polite, and to be fair I'd imagine keeping some kind of security in Leicester Square's not the easiest job.

All in all 3 stars - for me a good hotel is clean, secure, good food, good service and allows a good sleep. This place does well on the first 4 but if you want a place to get your head down after a long day look elsewhere

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Ian C, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2012

Dear HairyDan,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay at W London Leicester Square. I am sorry to hear about the noise issues which you experienced whilst here.

I would like to apologise that your sleep was affected. I can understand how disappointing that would be and I am sorry for the inconvenience.

We are trying to monitor the noise from the DJ’s wherever possible but it can get louder in the bars on busy nights. I can assure you that we do take this seriously and I will be investigating this point you have raised within the department immediately.

On a more positive note, I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the bar and our central location.

Please contact me if you decide to return as I would be happy to oversee your reservation on a future visit.

Reviewed October 12, 2012

My wife and I just spent a memorable long week-end at the W London Leicester Square in early October.

‪Our stay has been nothing less than amazing, thanks to the wonderful and incredible Fantastic Suite we had been upgraded to but, first and foremost, because of the outstanding and impeccable service we received from everyone at the hotel throughout our 4-day stay. Whether it was the concierge desk, the reception people, the guys greeting us downstairs, those coming up for the room service, or the bar team serving up our drinks and bites at the W lounge, they were all smile all the time and always provided us a service that was simply second-to-none.

This hotel is truly unique in London. A stone throw from Piccadilly Circus (which we were directly overlooking from our room !), it is right in Center London, with Soho, Covent Garden, Mayfair and most London landmarks within walking distance. And, if you like a contemporary and trendy vibe, the W lounge has to be the most lively and fabulous place to have a drink (make sure to try a Sir Winston...) at night or simply to relax during the day, both in the bar section with its never-ending curving sofa and in the more quiet "library" section with its high ceiling and fascinating plates-filled shelves...

As to the room, well, I don't think I could have had better than that in London as far as I am concerned !‬ Located on a high floor, our room was very modern and sleek, extremely bright during the day, with a very comfy bed and a breathtaking open-air bathroom where you could have a bath while overlooking the city outside...
‪ ‬
‪At the concierge desk, Josh Brown and his colleagues arranged and secured several reservations at some of London's best and most trendy restaurants (such as L'Atelier, Zuma and Hakassan Mayfair), and they were always available to assist. They really mean it when they say "whevever, whatever" !

A perfect and most enjoyable stay ! We can't wait to go back there on our next visit to London.

Room Tip: Higher floors are the best, and corner rooms on the Piccadilly Circus side are extremely bright and...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DDG333
Ian C, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2012

Dear DDG,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay at W London Leicester Square. I am so pleased to hear that you had a wonderful experience during your time with us.

I am so happy to hear that you loved our Fantastic suite and the unique design of the hotel. The plates in the W Library really are a special feature of our work hard play hard attitude here at W London.

I am also delighted to hear that you found the service in the hotel impeccable. The team are working very hard to get it right and I am glad to hear that we are moving in the right direction.

I will be sure to pass this on to all teams, particularly Concierge and I know that they will be very happy to hear your encouraging words.

Please come back to visit as soon as we would love to welcome you back to stay with us.

Reviewed October 11, 2012

I love W hotels, but I dont like the square. I first went when it opened then again a few times after that. The food and drinks are good, the vibe is decent on a weekend. I just wish it was in a different location. Try spice market, good restaurant. Rooms are a bit small, but expected in a big city and in a W hotel.

Room Tip: Any upgrade from the standard room will make you smile. Eat at Spice Market.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Whip,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay at W London Leicester Square. I am sorry to hear that you were not more comfortable with our location.

Leicester Square is the heart of Theatre Land and is in great proximity for our 39 seat Screening Room. It is also a very central location for the bars and restaurants in Soho and in close proximity to many tourist attractions.

However, I do realise that it is a very busy location and not to everyone’s taste. I am sorry to hear it wasn’t more to your liking .

On a more positive note, I am glad to hear that you liked the fun atmosphere in our bars and the deliclous offerings in our Spice Market restaurant.

Reviewed October 10, 2012

I was taken to W Hotel for my birthday and it was amazing. We stayed in the Wonderful Suite, which was literally wonderful!

The rooms are gorgeous, the bed is huge and the bathroom was awesome! I enjoyed my shower while watching tv : )

As for the location, you are in the heart of Leicester Square, and if you are looking for night life there is also a club at the Hotel.

This has been the best Hotel i have ever stayed in, and i've previously stayed in some stunning ones! I would love to go back and would love to stay in any other W Hotel around the world. I can't recommend enough how amazing it was.

Room Tip: I don't think you could go wrong in any room in this Hotel, it's gorgeous! But we stayed in...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Samantha,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay at W London Leicester Square. I am very glad that you had a wonderful birthday during your stay here.

It is also very exciting to hear that we are your best hotel experience to date.

Please do come back to see us and let me know if you need any recommendations for other W hotels around the world when you are travelling.

Reviewed October 10, 2012

well what a little gem of a hotel great location fantastic rooms and very nice food what stood out for me most apart from the rooms staff and location was the security with polite and courteous security on the front door and your room pass only allowing you onto the floor were you are staying i.e. when you get out of the lift on your floor there is a glass door that that only after swiping your room card gives you access to the landing and your room great idea all hotels should have it.
The only down side for me (and it wasn’t the hotels fault see later) was when I got back late at night I just wanted a quit drink and there was a disco going on and couldn’t here myself think so I went to bed couldn’t believe when I got to bed how quiet is was with all the mood lighting etc was asleep in no time
went down for breakfast the next morning and to my total horror just as you come in on the left from the street there was a beautiful quiet bar I must have just have just walked right passed it the previous night and not seen it will have to take my white stick next time
The breakfast and the service was first class well done

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank steve w

Dear Steve,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay at W London Leicester Square. I am very happy to hear that we managed to exceed your expectations on this visit.

It’s nice to know that our security is doing their job to make you feel safe and that you can appreciate our room’s access system.

I am glad that you had a great sleep in our very comfortable beds.

The bar you described is in Spice Market as part of their restaurant and it is definitely worth visiting next time.

Warm Regards