“like staying in a nightclub”

W London Leicester Square
Ranked #390 of 1,064 Hotels in London
Dublin, Ireland
“like staying in a nightclub”
Reviewed October 16, 2011

On arriving in the hotel, my first thought was that this was just like walking into a fancy nightclub. The w is very very new and has dark hallways with disco balls decorating the reception. Its cool, very cool, way cooler than anyone I saw walking in or out during my 4 night stay. You feel like you should have your hair done just to go for breakfast. The room I had was similar, really well designed with everything hidden behind moving panels and mirrors on the walls (which meant 20 minutes of pressing walls to see if they would move). The toiletries from Bliss sit on the sink in the middle of the room which is very odd.

So thats it, you arrive and think this place is fantastic and then when it gets to the main point of what you do when you stay in hotels, you realise that the W is way more like a nightclub than you wanted - you can hear every beat, so much so that it feels like your bed is in the middle of the dancefloor until late in the night (every night, at least Monday-Friday that I was there). This really was a bit of a pain as when you are paying more than £400 per night you really hope that you will be able to get a little shut eye.

Two more small faults (and clearly not sleeping has to be the biggest) were that there was nowhere near enough plug sockets in the room. I could only find two (after pressing every wall panel) which when you have a laptop, ipad, phone to charge along with a hairdryer to plug in really isnt great. The electrics in the room also seem overly complicated and while I was there I managed to somehow press the wrong series of buttons so that my lights would not go off. The engineer who arrived to my room said that this was not uncommon and after 10 minutes had turned everything off from a wall panel outside the room.

I wouldnt pay to stay here again, as much as the hotel is beautiful and very very cool its a lot to pay to get no sleep.

Room Tip: ask for the quietest room possible if you have to stay here
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Ian C, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this review, October 24, 2011
Dear Dee,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay at W London. I am sorry to hear that your stay was not more positive on this occasion.

I would like to sincerely apologise for the noise issues which you experienced whilst here. Whilst we do like to have fun with the DJ’s in our Wyld bar this should not impact on our guests sleep in any way and I can understand your frustrations.

However, we have recently had the speaker levels adjusted in Wyld and this is hoped to have resolved any noise issues in future.

I am also sorry to hear about the issues with the power and light sockets in your room. For future visits, we do have a number of extension leads available which we can happily send up to you upon request.

The light switches are not designed simply as On/Off buttons and we have recently implemented instruction cards for these lights in order to make usage as clear as possible for all our guests.

Dee, please let me know if you do decide to return to W London as I would be more than happy to oversee your reservation personally if you would like to contact me directly.

Ian Ciappara

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (496)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Marrakech, Morocco
Reviewed October 15, 2011

It all felt very good at the start, W hotel on leicester square, in the heart of London and the wish of being treated like a VIP. God sake - It's a W hotel. But don't fool yourself - none of the staff make as if they know you. There is a restaurant, a bar and a nightclub there. When you are a hotel guest, you expect to have access to all of these facilities but there unless you book or ask the concierge to have your name on the guestlist (for the nightclub) you have to beg to get in. At the restaurant, it's always "we'll try to do our best to get you a table" - hey guys I am a hotel resident and I need to eat!!!!!!!!!! For the nightclub, even if you leave your name at concierge, they tell you that you are not on the list - specially if you are coloured. At the bar, the waitress was good but the management can never get you a table. The essence of a five star service is all the staff knowing who their guest are and treating them properly. If they can't do that then no need to try and pitch in that league - call yourself a "rent a room place" with external services nearby. Very disappointed - will never go there again!!!!!!!

Room Tip: They very rarely clean your room and beware of your laundry as they pick it up and deliver when they...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
7 Thank Robert L
Ian C, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this review, October 20, 2011
Dear Robert,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay at W London Leicester Square. I am sorry to hear that your visit with us was not as positive as it could have been.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the lack of staff acknowledgement that you experienced. This is certainly not what I would expect from any of my staff and we will be conducting further training amongst all of the team to make sure that this situation does not reoccur.

Regarding the issue with the table in Spice Market, I can understand your frustration as it is just as frustrating for us not to be able to send you there. However, Spice Market is a very busy restaurant and we do need to book in advance to guarantee anyone a table during those peak periods. Please let me know if you would like to return and I can certainly help you make an advance booking.

Our W Lounge bar is also extremely popular and we do not reserve tables in the main bar. These tables are obtained on a first come first served basis by both in house guests and the general public.

Similarly, Wyld is a very busy guest list bar and we would be more than happy to give you priority for a future visit. Jess Patman and Nicola Robinson, our W Insiders would be delighted to assist you with future requests.

Again, I am very sorry to hear that your experience was not more positive but I do hope we can welcome you back to W London in future.

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed October 15, 2011

A great location if you want to be in the middle of things, and a comfortable well-run hotel. But, the room layout has major problems.

I found our room very quiet despite being only on the third floor (and being there Friday and Saturday nights). The bed was extremely comfortable and the blackout shades worked well. We got a good night's sleep. Everyone working in the hotel was helpful and efficient. We had a problem where the lights would not turn off, but this was quickly resolved by a maintenance person who seemed all too familiar with this particular issue.

The room design just didn't work though. There was no place where the lighting was good near a mirror, which made it hard for my wife to apply make-up. Also, the bathroom and bedroom are integrated. So, the shower and toilet are basically cubicles off the bedroom. Besides being odd, the shower smelled of mildew, and that smell got out into the bedroom. Also, it just sort of felt like we were living in the bathroom. I guess the idea was to make clever use of space, but this just didn't do it for me.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Andy,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay at W London Leicester Square. It is great to hear your comments.

Regarding the issue you raised with the lighting, there is a light on the make-up mirror which may not have been obvious. You can take a look on our Trip Advisor guest photos to also see these. If you do return for a future visit please let me know as I would be happy to send up an additional vanity mirror.

I am sorry to hear that the room design was not more to your liking. It was designed specifically in a studio style to create a bigger living space. As a result, our bedroom space is bigger than average for a central London hotel.

I am also sorry to hear about the issue of an odour in the bathroom. I will certainly investigate this with my Style (housekeeping) department and make sure the matter is resolved as soon as possible.

Please feel free to contact me if you would like to address any of these points further as I would be more than happy to do so.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 15, 2011

Cool place, maybe too cool, great location but noisy at night, but you have to expect that inthe centre of town. Uber Cool means Uber Expensive, so don't go there if you are not prepared to spend.

Cool rooms, if lighting somewhat. Bliss products so that makes up for the dark.

Staff very responsive and helpful. Breakfast not great and the location and setting of the Spice Market is odd.

We stayed one night but we had fun there, there it is a relaxing place during the day and funky and great for people watching in the evenig.

Would we go again? No, too many other choices in town.

Nice experieince.

Room Tip: Go for a Cool Roome in quieter times choose a lesser room and you should get upgrade.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank WFN
Ian C, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this review, October 19, 2011
Dear WFN,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay at W London Leicester Square. I am sorry that your experience was not more positive on this occasion.

Your comments are valued and we do appreciate that our hotel is not to everyone's taste. Our passion points are focused on fashion, music and design and this is what we try to activate.

We also feel that we are competitvely priced within our market place.

Thank you again for your feedback and this will become part of our regular appraisal of our vibe, presentation, and pricing.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed October 14, 2011

I want to preface this review by saying that I am not the demographic the W London is looking to connect with, so keep this in mind if you read further.

The hotel's location is good. It's central and near two underground stations, walking distance from a ton of places.

The hotel itself is a little too hip for me. The music piped throughout the hotel is house music so anytime you wait for an elevator or walk through the halls you will hear the rhythmic beat, "Un-cha Un-cha Un-cha Un-cha." The hallways are super dark with disco balls (I kid you not) illuminating them a little. The rooms are also super hip...so much so that I could not find the bathroom for a few minutes, and had to call the front desk to learn how to turn off the purple lights under the sink so I could sleep. By the way, I'm 40. Not 100. A reasonably bright 40 year-old should be able to find the bathroom and turn off the lights. As for comfort, the rooms are certainly more style than substance.

There's no desk in the room so if you need to work you'll want to find another hotel.

Blinds are such that you either black out the room or leave the window open to the flashing lights outside. So if you like to have some natural light come in upon waking in the morning, you are out of luck. I nearly overslept for something this morning because I closed the blind last night due to flashing light show from outside keeping me up.

This hotel is all show. And if that's what you are looking for, come on in. However, if you are like me and here on business, look elsewhere.

It's a perfectly fine hotel for what it is. And of course it's my fault for not doing further research before planning my short stay here.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank LA-Business-Traveler
Dear Jeff,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay at W London. I am sorry to hear that your experience here was not more positive.

Thank you for your comments regarding the light in the corridors. I will certainly reappraise this issue and I appreciate your valuable feedback.

I am also sorry that you experienced issues with the lighting in your room. Due to the nature of the design of the lighting panel it isn't a simple On/Off command. Therefore, we have implemented an instruction card which we hope will make it clearer for all our guests.

I have also highlighted these concerns with our Welcome desk team for all future guest arrivals.

Thank you for your comments regarding the desk space in your room. We have had good feedback from the majority of our guests as the vanity unit is used for a mix of both business and leisure guests. Many of these guests enjoy the large vanity unit as a desk space with it's convenient plug sockets just underneath.

Regarding the black out blinds, due to our central location it means the streets surrounding the hotel are illuminated 24/7. However, the black out blinds can be manually controlled so they can be left partially open thereby letting in some natural light in the mornings.

On a positive note, I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our very central location.

Please do let me know if you would consider returning to the hotel as I would like to personally oversee your reservation.

New York City, New York
Reviewed October 12, 2011

I stayed at this hotel a few months ago for 2 days. I was initially drawn to the amazing futuristic architecture of the building but it then went all downhill from there. I waited about 20 minutes to check in. I am an SPG platinum member and at many starwood properties, there is a priority line for gold and platinum members. Needless to say, there's none at this property.
At check-in, I did not receive an upgrade in room which was also a first for me as a platinum member at a starwood hotel. I was given the explanation that the hotel was completely full. I went to my room and I kid you not, the room was ridiculously small. I know it is London but even taken that into account, the room was pathetic.
I was so upset with the room that I called the management either to transfer me to another Starwood property. I didn't even mind going to a lower category hotel. Surprisingly, they managed to find me a slightly larger room.
The management team was nice enough to send a pleasant senior staff to escort me to a larger room. The second room was a bit nicer and given the efforts of the hotel team, I decided to stay there. The problem did not stop there. One of the elevators was broken, and I waited over 7 minutes for an elevator until I bumped into the hotel manager who came out of a meeting. He had special access to the service elevator. I told him that I had waited a long time for the elevator and he said to me "well it's your lucky day, I have special access to this other elevator". I was taken aback by his comment. I'm staying at your hotel and having access to the elevator is NOT a luxury, it is a necessity!!! I do not need luck to have access to your hotel elevator. I also told him that I was quite disappointed with this hotel and would like to talk to him. He said he had another meeting scheduled and would call my hotel room to discuss with me further. Did I get a call from him ? Well you know the answer!!!

The best advantage of this hotel is its location!!!

I am a huge fan of the W chain but am definitely not a fan of the W london which is a pity!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
10 Thank BforBoy
Wakefield, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 4, 2011

I stayed twice at this hotel, with a trip to Italy in between. The first stay was business related - the second was vacation and paid for using my Starwood points, and there was no difference in the way I was treated or the quality of the experience. In fact, I was welcomed back, having been remembered by several of the staff.
The hotel is very cool and interesting - from the quirky yet comfortable rooms to the very hip and happening night club. The reception staff was very accomodating, suggesting I use the spa facilities to wash up after my overnight flight from Boston, since my room wasn't ready at that early hour.
Several other stand-outs I'd like to mention - Jess at the concierge desk was very helpful and professional; Vilvin Sabu always had a smile on her face and helped me maneuver through the crowds at Wyld; and David, the club manager is friendly, generous and fun!
I can't wait for my next trip to London!!

Room Tip: I heard that the noise from the club can be distracting; during my first visit, I was on the 7th flo...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
DenneDempsey, Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this review, October 5, 2011
Dear Mark,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay at W London Leicester square. I am really pleased to hear that you had such a great stay with us.

It is really encouraging to know that we are getting it right as the team are working very hard to make sure every guest is made to feel special.

We hope to see you very soon!

Christian Nikles