“a little too much for me”

W London Leicester Square
Ranked #386 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Los Angeles, California
“a little too much for me”
Reviewed October 14, 2011

I want to preface this review by saying that I am not the demographic the W London is looking to connect with, so keep this in mind if you read further.

The hotel's location is good. It's central and near two underground stations, walking distance from a ton of places.

The hotel itself is a little too hip for me. The music piped throughout the hotel is house music so anytime you wait for an elevator or walk through the halls you will hear the rhythmic beat, "Un-cha Un-cha Un-cha Un-cha." The hallways are super dark with disco balls (I kid you not) illuminating them a little. The rooms are also super hip...so much so that I could not find the bathroom for a few minutes, and had to call the front desk to learn how to turn off the purple lights under the sink so I could sleep. By the way, I'm 40. Not 100. A reasonably bright 40 year-old should be able to find the bathroom and turn off the lights. As for comfort, the rooms are certainly more style than substance.

There's no desk in the room so if you need to work you'll want to find another hotel.

Blinds are such that you either black out the room or leave the window open to the flashing lights outside. So if you like to have some natural light come in upon waking in the morning, you are out of luck. I nearly overslept for something this morning because I closed the blind last night due to flashing light show from outside keeping me up.

This hotel is all show. And if that's what you are looking for, come on in. However, if you are like me and here on business, look elsewhere.

It's a perfectly fine hotel for what it is. And of course it's my fault for not doing further research before planning my short stay here.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank LA-Business-Traveler
Ian C, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this review, October 19, 2011
Dear Jeff,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay at W London. I am sorry to hear that your experience here was not more positive.

Thank you for your comments regarding the light in the corridors. I will certainly reappraise this issue and I appreciate your valuable feedback.

I am also sorry that you experienced issues with the lighting in your room. Due to the nature of the design of the lighting panel it isn't a simple On/Off command. Therefore, we have implemented an instruction card which we hope will make it clearer for all our guests.

I have also highlighted these concerns with our Welcome desk team for all future guest arrivals.

Thank you for your comments regarding the desk space in your room. We have had good feedback from the majority of our guests as the vanity unit is used for a mix of both business and leisure guests. Many of these guests enjoy the large vanity unit as a desk space with it's convenient plug sockets just underneath.

Regarding the black out blinds, due to our central location it means the streets surrounding the hotel are illuminated 24/7. However, the black out blinds can be manually controlled so they can be left partially open thereby letting in some natural light in the mornings.

On a positive note, I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our very central location.

Please do let me know if you would consider returning to the hotel as I would like to personally oversee your reservation.

Ian Ciappara

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (501)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 12, 2011

I stayed at this hotel a few months ago for 2 days. I was initially drawn to the amazing futuristic architecture of the building but it then went all downhill from there. I waited about 20 minutes to check in. I am an SPG platinum member and at many starwood properties, there is a priority line for gold and platinum members. Needless to say, there's none at this property.
At check-in, I did not receive an upgrade in room which was also a first for me as a platinum member at a starwood hotel. I was given the explanation that the hotel was completely full. I went to my room and I kid you not, the room was ridiculously small. I know it is London but even taken that into account, the room was pathetic.
I was so upset with the room that I called the management either to transfer me to another Starwood property. I didn't even mind going to a lower category hotel. Surprisingly, they managed to find me a slightly larger room.
The management team was nice enough to send a pleasant senior staff to escort me to a larger room. The second room was a bit nicer and given the efforts of the hotel team, I decided to stay there. The problem did not stop there. One of the elevators was broken, and I waited over 7 minutes for an elevator until I bumped into the hotel manager who came out of a meeting. He had special access to the service elevator. I told him that I had waited a long time for the elevator and he said to me "well it's your lucky day, I have special access to this other elevator". I was taken aback by his comment. I'm staying at your hotel and having access to the elevator is NOT a luxury, it is a necessity!!! I do not need luck to have access to your hotel elevator. I also told him that I was quite disappointed with this hotel and would like to talk to him. He said he had another meeting scheduled and would call my hotel room to discuss with me further. Did I get a call from him ? Well you know the answer!!!

The best advantage of this hotel is its location!!!

I am a huge fan of the W chain but am definitely not a fan of the W london which is a pity!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
10 Thank BforBoy
Wakefield, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 4, 2011

I stayed twice at this hotel, with a trip to Italy in between. The first stay was business related - the second was vacation and paid for using my Starwood points, and there was no difference in the way I was treated or the quality of the experience. In fact, I was welcomed back, having been remembered by several of the staff.
The hotel is very cool and interesting - from the quirky yet comfortable rooms to the very hip and happening night club. The reception staff was very accomodating, suggesting I use the spa facilities to wash up after my overnight flight from Boston, since my room wasn't ready at that early hour.
Several other stand-outs I'd like to mention - Jess at the concierge desk was very helpful and professional; Vilvin Sabu always had a smile on her face and helped me maneuver through the crowds at Wyld; and David, the club manager is friendly, generous and fun!
I can't wait for my next trip to London!!

Room Tip: I heard that the noise from the club can be distracting; during my first visit, I was on the 7th flo...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
DenneDempsey, Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this review, October 5, 2011
Dear Mark,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay at W London Leicester square. I am really pleased to hear that you had such a great stay with us.

It is really encouraging to know that we are getting it right as the team are working very hard to make sure every guest is made to feel special.

We hope to see you very soon!

Christian Nikles
Huntsville, Alabama
Reviewed October 3, 2011

Loved it. Soundproof rooms in the heart of Leicester square. Shower is the best. Awesome check in service. Ruben was too kind. Wish there are more people like him at other W's.

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank shefpat
DenneDempsey, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this review, October 4, 2011
Dear Shefpat,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay at W London Leicester Square. I am very happy to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us.

I will certainly pass your message on to Ruben and he will be delighted to hear it.

See you soon,
Kevin.
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed September 29, 2011

I had been researching this hotel for a very long time. We were on a special trip and wanted to make sure it was the right place to stay. Based on the research I liked the style and cool factor that is has and still do. But based on the reviews and pictures of the hotel I guess my expectations had been set to high based on reality.

Strengths:
* Has a cool factor with the decor if you are open to modern design.
* Very good location to a lot of places to see and visit.
* Sent amenity gift for my wife and I for our annivesary.

Opportunities:
* Check in process took longer than expected and was kind of lied to. I was really wanting to get in the Wow Suite. I was told by W staff member hotel was sold out and the room was not available. I am SPG Platinum but i was using points. I understand it could be different if I was paying vs. points but i was lied to. Once i was on Wi-Fi I checked and room was available during our stay.
* Noise from ground level was loud at least the side we were on until at least 1am.
* Service when making request for room or about area. Several times was told would be called back and was not. Had to call again to follow up.
* This one is good and bad. We left an item in the room and never got a call that it was there. I called and asked if they found and they did email back to say they did. I was expecting them to reach out to me first vs. me having to contact them. I do have to say the communcation since has been very good.
* I would have liked more info on how to use the room and where things are. For example, we didn't realize there were no power outlets in the bathroom (corner suite). The hair dryer is above the safe? The key has to be left in the outlet to turn on most of the lights?? This was a few items and some I should have learned based on prior comments.

Overall it is a very cool hotel but I just had higher expectations based on what they promised and some of the prior reivews.

Room Tip: Try to get a higher room and get a full explanation of what ever room you get so you know where item...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank snj1027
DenneDempsey, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this review, October 5, 2011
Dear Snj,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay at W London Leicester Square. I am sorry that we failed to exceed your expectations on this occasion.

All of our Platinum SPG guests are highly valued at W London and we offer some special features as part of our Platinum SPG programme. However, to clarify, SPG Platinum members are eligible for Standard Suites which include the Cool Corner and the Studio Suites, anything else is not part of this programme. I hope this helps clarify the situation further for you.

I have also taken on board the points which you raised about instructions in the room and I will certainly look into this with my team.

On a more positive note, I am very happy to hear that you had a lovely anniversary whilst here.

I hope we can welcome you back to W London again in future.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 28, 2011

The W hotel experience was everything I was hoping for; stylish, cool, hip and inviting. What made the experience over the top was Josh Brown, head concierge who rescued our birthday dinner plans with amazing and perfect results. The hotel is centally located; we walked everywhere and loved ending our evenings at the stylish lounge with beautiful surroundings and comfy window seats to sip your cocktail and savour your experience. Can't wait to return!

Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Hi Wendy,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay at W London. I am so pleased to hear that you had a fabulous time with us on your trip.

I’m very happy to hear that Josh looked after you and that you had a lovely birthday enjoying our delicious cocktails.

See you next time.

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed September 26, 2011

If you want to sleep Thursday-Sunday before 3 am don't stay at the "W". Not the typical experience of a W hotel. A great place for young folks that want to party all night. The staff were young but the quality of service was very good. Also very interesting room and bathroom set up. Great location in the city.

Room Tip: 7th floor on the opposite side of hotel away from Wardour Street.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
DenneDempsey, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this review, September 27, 2011
Dear Luanee,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay at W London. I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

It’s nice to hear that you appreciate that we are not a traditional hotel and that you enjoyed our friendly staff and experienced good service levels.

We hope to welcome you back to W London again soon.