“Well located but uneven service” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of W London Leicester Square

W London Leicester Square
Ranked #382 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Washington, DC
“Well located but uneven service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2011

I've walked by this hotel several times since it was built, thinking I should stay there on my next business trip. I finally had a chance to do so last weekend. It's a mixed bag:

Pluses:
- Outstanding check-in service with polite reception staff who know what they are doing, but it is a bit slow as they are pretty chatty
- Great location at the heart of London
- It's new, so is comparatively less encrusted with other people's bodily fluids relative to other, older hotels

Minuses:
- It tries a bit too hard to be trendy - the bathrooms are just ridiculous (they are hidden away in mirrored closets)
- The crowds of people with questionable taste queuing to get into the bar at night make it really inconvenient to get into the hotel if you (like me) sometimes forget your key
- Operator service is patchy - they forgot my wakeup call. Rookie mistake. In general the operator staff are a bit prickly and rude.

Overall, the hotel is interesting enough to give it a visit - but given the mediocre back-office service and the inconvenience of navigating the crowds, it might be too much of a hassle to make it my go-to hotel in London.

Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
DenneDempsey, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this review, August 11, 2011
Dear Alphabetsoup,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us regarding your recent stay at W London Leicester Square. I am sorry that your visit with us was not more positive on this occasion.

I am very sorry to hear about the issues with the wake- up call from our Whatever Whenever service. This matter is being fully investigated within the department and we are also implementing further on-going training within the team to prevent reoccurrence.

I am also sorry that the design of the bathroom was not to your liking. We did try to keep the comfort of our guests in mind with this design which allows extra space in the living area. However, we do realise that the design is not everyone’s taste.

On a more positive note, it’s great that you enjoyed a great service experience at check-in and enjoyed our central location.

We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in future.

Kevin Rockey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (486)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Shanghai, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2011

We booked this room as we were staying in London for our 37th wedding anniversary.Some reviews left us with some doubts but the reality was that W hotel delivers on all fronts. Welcome from concierge team at front door was the best I have had anywhere in the world and this level of service continued over the weekend in all areas of the hotel. There was a perfect balance between effectiveness and friendliness. All the staff subscribed to Sam Walton's view that if you come across a customer you speak to them and ask if there is anything you can do.The room was extremely comfortable and the deisgn whilst not traditional was very exciting. If you get the chance go.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
DenneDempsey, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this review, August 10, 2011
Dear Jock1957,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent visit to W London Leicester Square. I am so pleased to hear that you had a lovely wedding anniversary and congratulations!

It is lovely to read such a glowing review regarding the service levels you received from all of our staff as they have been working very hard to make every guest feel special. I will certainly pass this onto our Concierge team in particular and I am sure they will be delighted to hear that you have rated them so highly.

We hope to see you back at W very soon.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2011

We didn't actually stay at the hotel - we went to the Spice Market restaurant (remarkable in every way) and the Wyld bar (gla gla gla glamorous). The entire evening was incredibly fabulous, relaxed and fun. The attentive, professional and efficient staff make you feel special and indulged. A perfect venue for a special occasion, or when you just want to feel like a celeb! The food was fragrant and authentic, the cocktails delicious, and the decor/surroundings lush and sexy yet comfortable, with big sofas littered with velvet and silk scatter cushions. And enough (tastful) glitter balls to rival a Kylie concert...one word: WOW

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
GA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2011

Very nice room and staff was extemely helpful. Great location, very upscale bar/lounge which we did not use but it looked great.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Dear Bbeverland,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I am very glad that you enjoyed your visit.

It’s great to hear that you appreciated our great location, hotel design and also that you found our staff very helpful.

See you next time.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the hotel for our 10th wedding anniversary.

We stayed in the Cool Corner room which was lovely, although smaller than shown on the internet. Lovely bathroom, lovely toiletries! and a very comfortable bed. We had Champagne and strawberries delivered to our room (complimentary) which was a very lovely gesture and went down a treat!

We ate in the Spice Market restaurant and then later went into WYLD. Had a really brilliant time. I am looking forward to our next anniversary already as I am hoping to come back again...in the meantime I will definitely come back to have a drink in their bar!

Thank you W Hotel!

Katie

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
DenneDempsey, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this review, August 3, 2011
Dear Katie,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay at W London Leicester Square. Congratulations on your 10th wedding anniversary! I am really pleased that you had a lovely wedding anniversary at the hotel.

It’s great to hear that you enjoyed the food at Spice Market and had a fantastic time in our Wyld bar.

We hope to see you next anniversary if not before.

Kevin
Beijing, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2011

The hotel is funky and the location perfect. The design of the rooms sometimes gets in the way of practicality. My girlfriend and I went for 4 days to celebrate her birthday. It was nice but the housekeeping staff left a lot of room for improvement. They never refilled the shampoo and other toiletries - certainly expected at 400 pounds per night. The staff are very "cool" and sometimes they make you feel as if you just aren't cutting edge enough for the hotel!

• Stayed July 2011
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Location
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
DenneDempsey, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this review, August 2, 2011
Dear RT1971,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay at W London Leicester Square. I am sorry to hear that your experience was not more positive on this occasion.

I would like to apologise that the housekeeping staff were not working to the high standard that they should have been during your visit. I have had this matter investigated within the department and we are also continuing to step up their training to improve performance.

I am also sorry to hear that you were not made to feel comfortable in the bar. This is certainly not the impression that we are trying to create and we do encourage our staff to be friendly and approachable at all times.

On a more positive note, I am glad that you enjoyed the funky design and central location of the hotel.

Again, please accept my apologies that we failed to meet your expectations on this occasion. If you do decide to return to the hotel please let me know as I would like to oversee your reservation.

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2011

We stayed few weeks ago at W London, I like W hotels. They are usually nice and the service is very good. W London is amazing and service was above any of my expectation.

The rooms are very original, modern and very nice for a week-end with your partner. We have been told by the staff that their bar was the place to be in London at the moment so we experienced it, and trust me, the crowd and the didn't make us feel we were still in the hotel, it is a real bar, and a good one, from the cocktails to the 5-star service here again.

We do specially remember our checkin, with CHARLES (and I insist), he gave us all the information we needed, told us he would be here during our whole stay so if we needed anything we could come to him or call their whatever-whenever. We were looking for a restaurant, and when he saw the concierge was busy (only one concierge), he gave us some recommendation (and we had a lovely dinner this night). Once again, thanks to him for making our stay that great.

We will definitely be back.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Darren,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us regarding your recent stay at W London Leicester Square. It is lovely to hear that you had an excellent stay with us.

I am very pleased that you appreciated the unique design of the hotel and the atmosphere in the bars.

It is also great to hear that you were well looked after by Charles. I will certainly pass on your message to him and I am sure he will be delighted.