“A painful experience”

W London Leicester Square
Ranked #397 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed April 10, 2011

A second visit to the 1st floor bar at the 'W' with friends at 1.30pm on Saturday 9 April.

There were eight other people in the bar, ordered a bottle of rose wine with three glasses. Ten minutes later an ice bucket arrived, five minutes after that three wine glasses and four minutes later the wine. One of the glasses was dirty, sent back and another four minutes later a replacement arrived. Throughout the event there was no greeting, no smile, no eye contact, nothing. The biggest insult was the 15% service charge; arrogance beyond comprehension. Did I say anything; I would usually however on this occasion we were so glad to leave we couldn't be bothered. A truly underwhelming visit. 5 star? We get better service in the local, and the glasses are clean.

Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank Vespar
DenneDempsey, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2011

Dear Vespar,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent visit to the W Lounge. I am deeply sorry that the service levels you experienced were lacking both in terms of efficiency and friendliness.

I offer my sincere apologies that we failed to provide you with an acceptable level of customer service. Despite our continued efforts to train our team to a high standard we obviously dropped the ball on this occasion. Please be assured that we are using your valuable feedback to address these issues with our team in order to prevent your unfortunate experience from recurring.

Please don't hesitate to contact me if you would like to discuss any of these issues personally.

Reviewed April 10, 2011

W London Leicester Square needs to decide whether it wants to be a nightclub or a hotel. Despite numerous complaints by TA members over recent months the horrendous noise issue has still not been addressed. I'd never expect total silence in the middle of London's West End, but the pulsating noise from the hotel's own nightclub was unbearable. I've been an SPG member for years, and treated myself and my wife to a wedding anniversary Saturday night at the hotel. Unfortunately we were given a room on the 2nd floor, possibly one of the closest to the club. We put up with it for a few hours, but when it reached 3:15am I called reception to ask how long the the 'music' would continue. Reception seemed surprised it was still ongoing, and offered us earplugs, which wouldn't have made much difference. They said no other rooms were available, but it wouldn't have been much fun to get changed and re-pack everything at that time anyway. The racket continued till nearly 4am, after which we were finally able to get some sleep. We went out at 10am to get some breakfast..then when we came back we found our room cards had demagnetized, so we couldn't get back in to our room or even the elevator, despite being told checkout was at noon. Frustrated and tired, we were forced to cancel our morning plans and go home.

The trendy room was small, but clean. Not worth the rates being charged, in my view, even without the noise issue, which is so bad it must affect every room in the hotel, as other TA reviews have suggested.

So come on W Leicester Square; nightclub or hotel, you need to decide. If you want to keep the nightclub put it in the basement, turn the volume down, and soundproof it thoroughly.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank AJE62
DenneDempsey, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2011

Dear 11Surrey,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us and please accept my sincere apologies that we failed to meet your expectations during your recent stay at W London.

I am very sorry that you found the hotel too noisy and that it impacted on the celebration of your wedding anniversary. We are working very hard to rectify these noise issues with our team.

I would also like to apologise about the issue with the room card and I will be addressing this with our Rooms department to investigate fully.

My sincere apologies that your stay at W London was not all that you had hoped it to be. If you should decide to give us an opportunity in the future to change your opinion of the hotel I would like to personally oversee your reservation.

Reviewed April 10, 2011

I wondered about this location when we booked this hotel, but thought it's a W - it will be fine. WRONG! We switched rooms 3 times and even the top floor is loud. If you want to go to sleep before 4AM - do not stay here. There are other things wrong with the hotel - like the toilet and shower areas are like being on an airplane, there are no outlets in the bathrooms in the suites, the lighting system in the room is unnecessarily complicated, etc....Stay somewhere else and go here for a dinner at their fabulous restaurant.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank GracieBillie

Dear Gracie Bi,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at W London Leicester Square. I'm very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your experience on this occasion.

Please accept my apologies with regards to the noise issues. We are working on rectifying these with our team but this is taking longer than was expected.

I'm sorry to hear that you were less than impressed with the overall design of our rooms and that you didn't find them user friendly. We're aware that the design is not to everyone's tastes and apologise that it affected your stay so adversely.

To end on a more positive note, it is good to hear that you did enjoy Spice Market. Once again, please accept my sincere apologies.

Reviewed April 9, 2011

So this is a nice, new W hotel. The rooms are of decent size and very stylish. However, you'll want to be one that likes the W Hotel experience to stay here. For example, your sink is located in an island in the middle of the hotel room, the room lights are funky and colored and controlled via modern electronic controls that take some searching and mastery to get used to, the toilet stall has a "green" timer on the light that goes out every 90 seconds (requiring you to wave your arms/newspaper until it sense you...and, yes, it's as bad as your mental image makes it out to be ;-)

Having said that, if you really like W's, you'll like this hotel - nice sized rooms for the usual London experience, very comfortable beds, great a/c, and a good location right off of Leicester Square. Also a very "happening" night club - lines outside every night and $15 drinks.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank PhillyBoyz

Hi PhillyBo,

Thank you for sharing your feedback about your recent stay with us at W London Leicester Square. I am pleased to hear that overall you enjoyed your very ‘W’ experience so much.

It’s great to see that you appreciate the design concept. The timer on both the lights and showers are designed so we can be as green as possible and should be timed for several minutes, so apologies that there was a glitch with your room. I will follow up on this.

I am also happy to hear that you liked our amazing bars and cocktails! We hope to see you here again soon.

Regards,

Reviewed April 8, 2011

Fantastic tIme at the W ya a few small issues but I have had a lot worse in well established hotels . It had a cool design love the disco balls !!! It is so central .

• Stayed: April 2011
DenneDempsey, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2011

Dear Carolina,

Thanks for sharing your feedback with us regarding your recent stay at W London. I’m so pleased to hear that you had a fantastic time.

It’s great to hear that you loved the central location, design, and of course, the disco balls!

We hope to see you again here very soon.

Kevin

Reviewed April 8, 2011

I spend around 2 afternoons and evenings a week in London, meeting with and entertaining clients, additionally I stay overnight about twice a month. As a consequence I tend to favour hotel lounges and bars for my meetings over regular bars where service is usually poor. Normally I use the Soho hotel, Charlotte St Hotel or St Martn's Lane, where both the atmosphere and service are exceptional, but thought I'd try the W as I wanted somewhere a bit more lively in the evenings and somewhere different to stay for a change. So before booking a room I thought I'd try out the bar.

On the plus side, the bar is very nice looking and a pleasant place to meet with people, however the service is unbelievably bad for a 5 star venue. Late afternoon, despite there being only about 6 or 8 other customers, it was near impossible to get a server. There seemed to be plenty of staff, but they were more concerned with chatting with themselves by the bar than seeing if anyone wanted a drink. After 20 mins or so we were served and after chasing the drinks a couple of times they eventually arrived. As evening arrived and the bar got busier things inevitably worsened. There seemed to be plenty of staff coming to try and clear our glasses, even before we'd finished our drinks, but they seemed unable to take orders for new drinks and could only offer to send over a mythical server. When one did arrive another long wait ensued before the drinks materialised. The bar was never even that busy throughout the evening, so I'd hate to see what it's like when full.

I really did want to like the place and give it a chance, so I came twice more in case the first time was a one off. Sadly this is one time when consistency wasn't a good thing, as the service was equally poor and slow. Most of the staff seemed to be more interested in appearing cool and trendy, and behaved more like they were customers enjoying a night of socialising; with the real customers being an unwelcome intrusion. Don't get me wrong, I never found them to be rude, in fact they were generally pleasant, but never proactive and a little bemused and seemingly inconvenienced when someone actually wanted something. It wasn't just me either, as every time I went downstairs for a smoke I heard the same from everyone else.

The door staff seemed to have the attitiude of bouncers from a rough nightclub or rowdy bar, giving people the impression that they should feel lucky to be let in when the bar wasn't even that busy; instead of providing the welcoming reception one should expect of a 5 star hotel.

As I said at the beginning, I generally favour hotel bars as they usually treat you better but, whilst the surroundings are nice, the bar service is more like Tiger Tiger or other chain bars, than an expensive hotel. I strongly suggest they send their staff to either the Soho hotel or St Martins Lane hotel to see how customers who spend several hundred pounds in an evening should be treated.

All in all it's a shame as the location is great and the surroundings and clientele generally very good. It is cool, it is trendy but I think the staff feel that this makes them more important than their guests. They are young, but that's no excuse as the Morgan group manage just fine with young staff and good service. Of course there were those happy and impressed to hang out in somewhere cool looking but they tended to be the ones who would nurse one drink for hours and so not notice the slow service so much. If I were the bar manager I'd also be concerned, as with decent hotel trained staff serving and barmen who could mix drinks at a reasonable speed, I suspect the bar takings could be significantly higher.

I so wanted to find a reason to switch my overnight stays to here but the room reviews seem as bad as the bar ones. Perhaps it's teething problems, but after three tries it just starts to male me look bad with clients, so it's back to the Soho hotel for me, where drinks arrive quickly, however busy, and your custom appears to be genuinely valued as opposed to an intrusion or a chore.

As someone who runs a business, I hate to criticise without offering suggestions as to how things could be improved. I'm sure it's hard to find, and then train, good staff and keep them motivated, so in the short term here's my one quick tip. Allocate servers to dedicated areas/tables so that they're serving the same customer throughout the evening.This helps build at least a little rapport and feeling of familarity. In addition leave the service charge/tip up to the customer, so the server has at least some incentive to try and make his/her customers happy.

Hopefully things will change, but after three trips and a lot of money spent, I shant be back for several months, if at all. If changes aren't made quickly, the more discerning customers will all drift away and I fear it will rapidly go downmarket.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
4  Thank tbaLondon
Reviewed April 2, 2011

I had hte opportunity to spend 4 nights in this wonderful property. Staff were extremely helpful in planning various trips in and out of the city. Love hte Cool Corner room and overall hotel look and feel. Keep up the great work! Highly recomend when staying London. Great location as well.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
DenneDempsey, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2011

Dear Aaexplt,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay at W London. I'm extremely pleased to hear that you had such a great experience at the hotel.

Our concierge team really tries to go the extra mile when recommending new and trusted places and I'm glad to hear that we exceeded your expectations on this occasion.

It's also great that you love the design of the hotel and it's central location.

Thanks again for your lovely comments and I hope to see you again soon!

Kevin