“No frill or glamour but high quality raw fish (even scallop) at low prices”
Review of Keiko Sushi - CLOSED

Keiko Sushi
Cuisines: Japanese
Neighborhood: South Kensington
Neighborhood: South Kensington
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I have been coming to this small conveyor-belt sushi restaurant since it was opened. Although some of the non-sushi products became let-downs over the years, I am always impressed with the quality of fresh raw fish/shellfish. Try to order scallop sashimi or sushi for example at their competitor Kulu Kulu Sushi (South Kensington branch), they will simply tell you they don't offer it any more. You know why? It's because shellfish has to be eaten fresh. Being Japanese, I avoid any sushi place such as Yo Sushi which handles meat and fish at the same time, and uses spices for sushi to disguise the slightly old raw fish. I prefer a small place like Keiko Sushi which seems to be buying a small quantity of fresh raw fish/shellfish regularly as once they even sold out tuna sashimi early evening!

Reviewed September 12, 2013

Since I last visited this place it has change owners, twice I think. The new owners have sure let the standards slip and I certainly no longer can recommend this place.
A real shame since it used to be a great little place.

Reviewed May 25, 2013

Despite being of Japanese origin, I am relatively tolerant toward japanese restaurants owned/ran by non-japanese people. I'd happily eat at wagamama's if that is where my friends want to go.

This place was frankly, offensive. Worse than yo sushi when they first started out.

It was obvious that none of the staff had ever seen a sushi chef work before, was painful to watch them work.

Prime example of an establishment which takes advantage of british peoples lack of experience in japanese food for monetary gain.

Reviewed August 30, 2012

The sushi was awful. We ordered some salmon nigiri: the rice of the nigiri was impossible to pick up with the chopsticks, it broke in two or three pieces; the fish on the rice was not very good in taste, and was not cut, but torn. The torn pieces of salmon were also very, very thin. The place was almost empty, but we had to wait 20 minutes for the salmon nigiri. On the conveyor belt there were some tuna maki, but they look very old, you could see that the fish in them was withered after hours of running around. The two boys running the place were corteous enough, but they were not japanese at all: the sushi boy was kind of indian, and the waiter/cashier was british.

1  Thank stefanotorino
Reviewed July 7, 2012

As a sushi fan, I figured I should be able to find somewhere in London that did good sushi without "corporate" prices. That's exactly what I found at Keiko. It is small, but it's easy to find and as it wasn't busy (as I suspect may often be the case) I was seated immediately at a place of my choice. There is a small bar at the front and restaurant style seating at the back. The staff are friendly and very attentive, and there is a wide selection of food on the menu. They have a colour coded plate system as is common in sushi restaurants for items off the belt and the chef is more than happy to prepare anything freshly should you desire. The portion sizes are generous too. Defo worth a visit if you are in the area and looking for something cheap and easy. They also do takeaway and delivery (free within a 3 mile radius). I would definitely come back.

1  Thank NicmaLauren