“Great atmosphere!”

Neighborhood: Greenwich
Whitstable, United Kingdom
“Great atmosphere!”
Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

The only reason this isn't a 5* review is that there were 10 of us and we felt very squashed in- like they'd over booked!
Brilliant food! Great staff. They were very attentive which was brilliant! Would go back!

• Visited July 2012

London, United Kingdom
“Delicious. ...”
Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

Ate here as recently moved to area and it looks pretty cool from the outside, was early afternoon and was only people in there but service was good, I ordered chicken fajitas, the portionwss huge with cheese, ssour cream.& guacomle on the side.
The food was very very tasty and would definitely go back.

• Visited June 2013
Adelaide
“Delicious Fish!”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Late dinner with a friend, we both ate different types of fish and it was quite delicious. The sauce was quite hot, the waitress suggested I have it on the side when I expressed concern and this was a good idea for me! We did ask to move tables as the sun shines directly into the restaurant but this was not an issue as the room was relatively quiet.

• Visited June 2013
St Albans, Herts
“Not the best”
Reviewed June 1, 2013

From the outside the Café Sol looks bright and fun. We visited at 4.30 which was a bit of an odd time, but the place was buzzing and seemed popular so we took a chance.

I thought the food was fairly poor for a restaurant that advertises fresh ingredients. The cheese, guacamole and soured cream all tasted fairly processed and plastic – not fresh at all, even though the salsa was much better. Our enchiladas and burritos came with the same standard side dish of Mexican rice and beans. All of us found these pretty inedible and would have preferred to have an alternative offered.

The service was very quick and efficient throughout but it was very apparent that these were not happy, smiling, relaxed staff. All of them looked nervous and had worried looks on their faces. Our poor waitress was actually running to clear tables once customers had left, even though there was nobody else waiting for the table. I have to conclude that the middle aged male manager had something to do with this. Quite frankly all of the waiting staff looked scared of him and I did not see a single smile my whole visit. At the end of the meal the tip was included on the bill – but I have little hope that it actually went to the person who served us so efficiently.
As I am increasingly finding in London restaurants, the toilets were pretty foul. Dirty toilets really put me off any eating establishment – if they can’t even keep their toilets reasonable, what are their kitchens like? There were two female toilets – both dirty with the floor covered with debris.
It was a slightly unusual time of day to visit, but I still expect clean surroundings and good food. I liked the way the place was buzzing with customers; families, couples and others – but I suspect this was because happy hour started at 5pm – 30 minutes after we sat down. Most people having cocktails in happy hour and they did look attractive although we were not tempted. Happy hour was from 5-7pm and Cocktails that were normally were half price £5.95 per glass.

Although I liked the atmosphere I did not really feel the food was as fresh as the menu promised. This, combined with the dirty toilets and unhappy staff, make me certain that I will not return.

• Visited May 2013
“Bones and gristle”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

We we sat with beers and order placed when we were asked to move so that a larger group could take our table. We obliged but were put on a table facing direct sun and crammed between 3 other tables. I had the burrito, and halfway through found a huge leg bone and all the gristle attached to it. When I reported it to the owner he referred to the menu, which states that chicken may contain small pieces of bone. It wasn't small, and his attitude was unacceptable. There are several Mexican restaurants in the area so there's no reason to go here.

• Visited May 2013