“Good for Drury Lane Dining on a budget”

Sagar Vegetarian Covent Garden Restaurant
Ranked #1,945 of 23,381 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Asian, Indian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Covent Garden
Reviewed June 3, 2013

This friendly no-frills, South Indian vegetarian restaurant, right opposite the Drury Lane Theatre is really good place to dine on a budget, with a pre-theatre menu coming in at less than £6.00. I ate from the a la carte however and had a delicious large glass of guava juice, a rice and cashew nut starter followed by a large, hot, crisp cheese dosa stuffed full of really tasty cheese and concluded with a satisfactory pistachio kulfi - less than £15 for the lot and friendly fast service to boot. The show at Drury lane was 7.30, I arrived at the restaurant with no booking at 6.33 and was paid up and out by 7.20 and they were very busy- full downstairs and two thirds full upstairs. Quick, friendly and very good value.

2  Thank Trevor S

Reviewed June 2, 2013

Sagar is a great vegetarian Indian restaurant on the edge of Covent Garden. The menu has a large selection of starters including Medu Vada, traditional lentil and rice dumplings which are fried, amongst many other dishes. The main courses vary from Dosa's to Lentil Pizza's to traditional curries and Thali's. The food is beautifully cooked, the service is top and the staff are incredibly friendly. Loved it!

2  Thank Mark B
Reviewed June 1, 2013

i had a thali, which was excellent value. authentic, vegetarian food and a very wide choice: highly recommended!

2  Thank sjmgp
Reviewed May 30, 2013

I had visited this place with my friends. We ordered for some authentic south indian dishes, and they were amazing,very tasty. The atmosphere and look of this restaurant is beautiful. Staff is very polite and helpful. Sagar is definately my first choice for vegetarian food as they serve variety of tasty food with value for money.

1  Thank rashmi s
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I should start this review by stating that we live in the US, so our customer service expectations might be a bit high. With that being said, the service was odd. I think they were not happy that we didn't order drinks. The thing is, we've been traveling for 3.5 months, so we aren't as extravagant when we order out. They just sort of threw everything on the table, but when it came time to pay the bill, they hovered over us, which was quite uncomfortable.

As far as the food, I have to echo the review below and say it was nice but not memorable. We got the saag paneer, the vegetable korma, and the masala dosa, as well as an order of rice. The vegetable korma and the sambar that came with the dosa were good, but the saag paneer was quite tomatoey and salty. The dosa was fine. All in all I guess I was expecting to be blown away by this food, but I wasn't. The total was 20£, which is good for London. I think it might be best to stick with their lunch specials, they seem like a good deal.