Tripadvisor

Kanishka
Reserve a Table
Bookatable
Ranked #508 of 27,498 Restaurants in London
Description: Atul Kochhar, the first Indian chef in the world to receive a Michelin star, opens Kanishka on Mayfair's Maddox Street this March. His first venture with Tina English, another recognised innovator of London's Indian dining scene, Kanishka aims to explore lesser known regions of Indian food, showcasing cuisine from the country's more remote territories and borders.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We visited Kanishka for lunch on my birthday, a treat from my husband who has eaten there several times before. The service and food was top quality as you would expect from a restaurant of this standard. We chose the tasting menu and it was a delight! The various courses offered a stunning mix of flavours and textures that made my taste buds dance - on several occasions I was tempted to lick my plate but thought better of it! The staff were both friendly and attentive and Atul himself came and said hello and had a chat, thanking us for choosing to come to his restaurant. He was both gracious and interested - something we have not always experienced from "celebrity chefs" in the past. This is a restaurant worthy of its accolades and well worth a visit.

Date of visit: January 2020
KanishkaMayfair, General Manager at Kanishka, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. We are delighted to receive your compliments and appreciation. We have passed your great feedback onto the wider team as well. We hope to see here again in the near future.
The Kanishka Team

Write a reviewReviews (212)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

First time at the beautiful Kanishka last night and I'm already thinking about what to try on my next visit! From start to finish it was a beautiful experience. We were taken to our seats by a super welcoming hostess, and then greeted by the lovely Phoebe who looked after us all night- nothing was too much of an ask for her!
I had the goat curry along with the saffron rice, recommended by our waitress I can't recommend this dish enough! I had a few glasses of a lovely merlot wine, I didn't get the name but I think it was the only merlot you could purchase by the glass, again, I highly recommended. To round off a lovely dinner, we had the pleasure of two chefs coming out to check on how we found our dinner! Such a great touch. Thank you to the whole team at Kanishka, you made my birthday meal one to remember!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Came here while exploring Maddox street
There are quite few restaurants in Mayfair.
We were given a warm welcome, we came in for lunch, the restaurant was busy for lunch. The floor looked understaff. We were looked after by Rizwan. He can be called a one man army, he was alone in the floor and in the bar. We were amazed to see how he looked after us and the service was not interrupted. The food was extraordinarily good. We had the tasting menu with wines, all the courses were described perfectly and the wine were informed very well.
Kanishka could have gone very bad if the service was poor, the way it assumed but Rizwan and his multitasking skills made our visit worth it. Can’t wait to come back and also look forward for Matura.

Date of visit: November 2019

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My husband and I had booked a 5.30pm table for a Sunday service. We arrived a little early to find two men sitting outside by a sidedoor smoking cigarettes and chatting away. We tried the front door which was locked, with the to men staring at us, without saying a word. We walked away and waited away from the restaurant, as we felt intimidated by these two men. The road was dimly lit and we felt uncomfortable. Shortly after 5.30pm, we eventually were able to go in, and to our surprise were met inside by one of the two men. We were duly asked if we had booked a table, followed by him burping slightly and being met by the smell of smoke coming from his breath. We were given a choice of tables to choose from, yet again a surprise, as I had requested a specially decorated table when I had booked the table online, to celebrate my husband's birthday. We sat down and I took the opportunity to speak to the waiter away from the table to ask if my special request had been noted. He said yes and confirmed that a surprise would be served at the end of our meal. I was left wondering if a simple request of specially decorated table could not be met. We chose the tasting menu and asked the waiter what non alcoholic drinks he could recommend with the meal. He advised to have a Coke or Fanta. We were shocked. However, as a predrink he recommended a mocktail, which we gladly had and which were nice. The meal was in part disappointing, the scallop was tiny and lukewarm and we had to check that it had actually been cooked. The chicken tikka pie had little filling and too much pastry. The goat curry was lovely but was let down by a cardboard style naan bread. The dessert, peanut butter parfait was far too sweet. At the end of the meal my husband was presented with another dessert,a small piece of chocolate brownie, which was dry, the plate decorated with the words Happy birthday, written in chocolate. It was a nice touch but not what I had requested, which was a shame. We initially thought that our expectations were too much and our first impressions had clouded our judgment, but we continue to feel that Kanishka could have done better on the day we visited.

2  Thank neiljamesh2017

Thank you so much for taking the time to write us a review. We are sorry to hear that you didn’t enjoy your dining experience. We have passed your comments to our General Manager and Head Chef for full review. Please be assured we are committed to working hard to improve consistently, and we hope we can welcome you back to again in the future. Kind regards, The Kanishka Team

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Wonderful Birthday lunch for 5 today, Phoebe was extremely attentive when we arrived and continued to look after us throughout our stay including a cake and candle for the birthday chap. The food was as usual excellent as was the service. Highly recommended and will be back very soon.

1  Thank Stephen822