“Disappointing for leisure travellers”

Pestana Chelsea Bridge Hotel & Spa London
Ranked #153 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Seattle, WA
“Disappointing for leisure travellers”
Reviewed November 9, 2010

I booked two days at the end of a long trip at the Pestana Chelsea, and I wish I hadn't.

I was dead tired and I picked it because it seemed to be:
* a spa
* close to city-life, but just far enough away to be quiet
* near a train line
* plush

It is none of these things for a leisure traveller.

First, the spa. It's useless. There isn't a real spa, just a few chairs set out next to the pool, and it's barely ever open. I'd intended to book a spa-day at this hotel, and it wasn't possible at all.

Second, close to any city-life at all. Look at a map, and you might be fooled into thinking that it's right in Chelsea/Kensington. But it's not, really. I asked at the front desk about how long it'd take to walk to a place to get dinner (other than the in-hotel restaurant) and was told, "about 10 minutes; just cross the bridge". No. I'm a darn fast walker, and we're talking more like 25 minutes. Which is a nice walk, but not when you're expecting half that. Nor when you're hoping to get to an underground station at a reasonable time in order to meet friends elsewhere in the city.

Third, near a train line. Oh, foolish me. I thought I could get to this hotel easily from QRB. I'd taken the train down from Edinburgh, you see, and am a huge fan of public transportation. Where better to enjoy public transport than in London?, I thought. Wrong. The Pestana Chelsea is perhaps farther away from the rail than it is from the tube, and through a sketchy-looking, nearly-abandoned neighborhood. Did you know that Chelsea/Kensington even had sketchy neighborhoods? I didn't before I stayed here.

Fourth, plushness. No. This is a large-ish room done up in the style of a cookie-cutter econohotel. Two beds, a pleather couch, and a tiny TV on a place to put your clothes. There's nothing special about a single amenity in the rooms. Except, perhaps, for the bathroom.

Two special things about the bathroom:
1) Con: The blinds obscuring a view from the main room...are on the room-side, rather than the bathroom-side. So much for privacy!
2) Pro: This hotel has the best shower pressure I've been lucky to encounter in ages.

I'd recommend the Pestana Chelsea for Londonites who want to get away from it all without actually leaving the city (because it's so hard to get there), or to business travellers who aren't there for the amenities but for the ease-of-use. Also, to people who have cars.

For vactioners, leisure travellers, or anyone interested in a spa getaway, though, this isn't your hotel.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Janine_DuCharme

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (542)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
St Andrews, Scotland
Reviewed November 8, 2010

Stayed here with my wife in mid-October for four nights, booking only the day before arrival and we didn't have any time to investigate the Pestana Chelsea Bridge on Tripadvisor, however we were absolutely delighted with the quality of this new hotel (only opened in February this year). We had a beautiful ninth floor executive room for a lot less per night than a Premier Inn at County Hall where we had stayed earlier this year (not knocking Premier Inn - it was also excellent, but not in the same league as the Pestana).
It's located in a new block of quality apartments and offices just south of Chelea Bridge and across from Battersea Park ( a lovely place for a stroll if you have the time).
We asked for a river view and whilst we got a good side-on view of the Thames and everything beyond, the destruction site of the disused Battersea Power Station was really in your face and dominated the view.
All the young (Portugese, presumably) staff were very polite, smiley and attentive and we found breakfasts to be adequate (plenty to eat, but a bit more limited for choice than other 4* hotels).
Bar prices were maybe a bit steep for the serious drinkers, but after long days in London, it was so nice to come back to the Hotel Lounge for a nightcap or two before bed, or have the added bonus of the lovely leather settee in the bedroom to watch tv.
We didn't find the location a problem as we soon found the bus stop taking us to Sloan Square Tube Station and never had any concerns regarding safety and security, especially returning back late at night.
We did get a metered Taxi upon leaving for Heathrow - it was conveniently parked at the hotel and the driver did mention the concern about some of the staff having a preference for arranging mini-cabs and the suggestion that there was a scam going on. If the discipline in the rest of the hotel is to be matched, then I think the Management will crack down on this very quickly, especially if it gives the hotel a bad name.
A special mention to the Housekeeping staff who are often overlooked - we had fresh bedding after two days, the cleanliness of the room was excellent and there were no problems having fresh towels every day when asked, even though there is a policy of towels lasting two days - I know it helps to save the planet, but I'm not going to a 4* hotel for a standard less than I enjoy at home.
All in all, an excellent stay and we think the Pestana Chelsea Bridge has a prosperous future and we will definately be staying here when we return to London.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank weemanal
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed November 8, 2010

The hotel rooms were to a high standard, with comfortable bed or decor.

The hotel is about 15mins walk from Sloane Square or Victoria, so if you need tubes do bare this in mind. However the rates were far more competitive than hotels in centre.

However the food and service in the restaurant was awful. We ordered pasta, which came out cold, over cooked and chewy. The staff were actually really embarrassing when we complained, rather than just recooking, they were questioning us, make us feel very comfortable with the whole situation, and got a £50 bill for the questions, and not resolution with new food. Awful really.

Would recommend the hotel, just cross the bridge and eat in Chelsea instead.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Ryde, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 6, 2010

I had to pleasure to stay here, whilst attending the BTA dinner. I travelled with hubbie and 4 year old and was pleasantly suprised with the standard of both the hotel and the team.
Reception were very helpful, a slight delay on check in, but dealt with smoothly.
We took the opportunity to travel to the London eye and taxi back to the hotel was £8, very reasonable, although Battersea station is only 5 min walk round the corner.
I would definately recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Paris, France
Reviewed October 31, 2010

it was a Really nice stay at a superb hotel with all amenities and an excellent staff

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Newbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 18, 2010

Had an exceptionally pleasant one night stay at this hotel. Having stayed at many a London chain hotel there was something refreshingly different about the Pestana. Staff were very friendly (even an early check in was no problem), the room was modern with a lovely living room area.

The room was very light, had all modern features one would expect (including iPod dock), lovely bathroom facilities (with a monsoon shower). The only downside being the bed which was two single beds pushed together to make a double.

The public areas were very modern, staff ever so friendly.

Whilst just south of the river and around a 10 minute walk to Sloane Square tube we found this to be no problem (anyone who thinks its over 10mins must walk very slowly!). Excellent location for shopping along the Kings Road, Knightsbridge and the museums around Kensington.

No doubt in my mind that I would stay at this hotel again and would recommend it to anyone who wants a modern, clean hotel with friendly staff which offers good value for money (I for one am found up with the big boy chains in more central locations charging rip off prices for poor and dated hotel rooms). Not really any good if you want the City or Canary Wharf however it was no more than 25minutes door to door between the Pestana and the Tate Modern.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank poincianakings
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 18, 2010

The room and decor was faultless but the service left much to be desired. After ordering a meal in the restaurant my colleagues and I waited over 40 minutes to eat. We were then approached by the same waitress who offered us food off the bar menu. A few minutes later she returned again and told us she hadn't understood what we ordered. An hour after initially ordering we finally received our food, which was very good but not worth the wait. We were not offered so much as a piece of bread during our wait and the Maitre d'hotel was conspicuous by his absence. Whilst we were waiting we saw food from other tables being sent back to the kitchen. The staff seem genuine and hard working but struggle with English.
The following evening I returned in the early hours from work to take a shower and discovered that most of my towels had been removed but not not replaced!
It was interesting that when we checked we were not asked whether we had enjoyed our stay!!!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business