“Daughter's 16th birthday treat”

Park Plaza Westminster Bridge London
Ranked #204 of 1,064 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Daughter's 16th birthday treat”
Reviewed February 11, 2014

Stayed for the weekend, not too accustomed to hotel life so this was pretty special. I thought it a luxurious hotel, yet not so much to make us feel out of our depth. The staff were incredibly friendly and helpful. We stayed in a small suite with double room for us and the poshest sofa bed ever for our daughter which was perfect for us. We'd upgraded for an iconic view (and I think a slightly larger suite) which was so worth the money. For us, perfectly situated - just across the road from Waterloo station. We took a cab to Victoria for the theatre in the evening but strolled back which really was a pleasant walk, nice and peaceful after the bustle of the day. Even ordered room service for the first time ever - eating burgers at midnight was a lovely start to our daughter's birthday - this was so beautifully presented, we felt like movie stars! I certainly hope to come again soon and would heartily recommend.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Jenny B
ParkPlazaWestminster, Manager at Park Plaza Westminster Bridge London, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
Dear Jenny B,

Thank you for posting your review and for adding another 5 star review for our hotel.

We’re pleased that we could make your special weekend stay with us extra special and that you enjoyed all we had to offer, from our great location to our friendly and helpful team members.

Now you know where we are don’t be a stranger, as we’d love to welcome you and your family back anytime!

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,312)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Southampton
Reviewed February 11, 2014

I chose this hotel due to the location as wanted to walk to places rather than the tube and the proximity of Waterloo Station (approx 10 mins walk).

Upon arrival, the hotel was really busy due to a Mercedes seminar and so the room was not ready and reception advised they would text when the room was, however they didn't. Once our room was ready we were pleasantly surprised to see that they had taken note of my request in that they had given my partner a birthday cake which was devine. The room itself, was nice, modern etc but as the room was faced inwards it was rather dark. I had read in other reviews that people were upgraded but not sure if they had to pay extra so just got on with it.

Swimming and steam was very relaxing and a lovely layout but it did get rather busy, glad it was not half term ! Breakfast was very nice, but not relaxing as it was very busy, chaotic if I'm truthful. Just to add also, we went to our room at 5pm housekeeping had not attended, so I called reception and they did it very soon after.

Overall, would go back to this hotel, due to it's location,and cleanliness.

1 Thank SammersSouthampton
Thanks for your review SammersSouthampton, we’re pleased you enjoyed our iconic location and your overall experience with us.

Sorry to note that you did not receive your text, I have shared your feedback with our Reception Manager.

Thank you for your recommendation and I hope welcome you back in the near future.

Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 10, 2014 via mobile

I often stay here for work and have been a few times for pleasure. The location is great, right at the end of Westminster bridge overlooking Big Ben and the houses of parliament. A short walk gets you to Southbank or Embankment and a little further and you are at Covent Garden or Leicester square. There are several restaurants serving a variety of food in the hotel although I generally eat out. Room service is quick and good quality (except the pizza, which I recommend avoiding!). I often use the gym and pool which are both better than expected for a hotel. Decoration throughout is very high quality providing a unique experience. Club Carlson also have a good loyalty points scheme which can result in free stays quite quickly. If you come to London I recommend staying here.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank tom p
Dear tom p,

Thank you for your review and we’re delighted to be your new favourite hotel in London!

Thank you for you recommendation and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Stroud, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 10, 2014

Park Plaza Westminster Bridge is a super large modern hotel (1000 odd rooms) situated on the South Bank - not necessarily the best location for visiting the main tourist parts of London.

The rooms are excellent, quiet and comfortable, except for an unusual mix of pillows - each bed has one too hard and one too soft pillow, so getting really comfortable can be difficult.

However, the real issue with this hotel is that it is simply too big, understaffed and with inadequate facilities for all the guests, when occupancy is high.

Long queues to check in and out (many unstaffed stations) and permanently engaged or unanswered ‘phone calls to room service/housekeeping were both issues. Our kettle was broken and getting a replacement proved impossible.

But breakfast was utter chaos. Put simply, the restaurant is too small for the number of guests, so any available space is used: bars and meeting rooms.

You have to wonder how such a new hotel could get capacity issues like this so wrong!

Perhaps because we were forced to take breakfast in the bar, the food choice and quality was maybe the worst I have experienced in a hotel of this standard anywhere in the world. And getting a coffee - well the self service machine was not working (same for the toaster) and the staff were so rushed, we were simply ignored.

The receptionist’s reaction to my comments: ‘I know, its crazy isn’t it!’, as she charged my card without even offering the bill for checking.

London is full of outstanding hotels in this price category, most of which offer a more personal and relaxing experience. I would not chose to stay at Park Plaza again.

1 Thank CPH0_0
ParkPlazaWestminster, Manager at Park Plaza Westminster Bridge London, responded to this review, February 16, 2014
Dear CPH0_0,

Thank you for your detailed review, however, I am of course disappointed you did not enjoy your stay with us.

We pride ourselves on delivering the best experience for our guests. My management team and I continue to focus on the areas you have mentioned within your review and thank you for your feedback.

Although you state you will not return, I do hope we’ll have the opportunity to redeem ourselves in the near future.

Taunton,UK.
Reviewed February 10, 2014

Stayed at this hotel the weekend, paid similar price to the Travel lodge, couldn't have been more pleased, great room, pool /gym area, location and comfortable and quiet.
Maybe not 5 * luxe but all you could want for an enjoyable stay, friendly helpful staff and a fantastic breakfast too.
Many thanks, highly recommend.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your review MrsLGrafton, glad you enjoyed your stay with us.

Thank you for your recommendation.

Ipswich
Reviewed February 10, 2014 via mobile

What a lovely hotel with very helpful and courteous staff - my room whilst very lovely was rather spoilt by the view of the massive crane and building site - I could see the Shard if I cricked my neck and stuck my face to the glass! Luckily I was only staying one night and can honestly say the rooms were extremely comfortable and spacious.... The lighting is rather subdued in all areas of hotel and layout rather confusing at times but all in all a very nice business conference and awards dinner and lovely breakfast with lots of choice and very fresh.....

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your review FoodaholicIpswich, glad you enjoyed your stay with us.

With over 1,000 bedrooms not all bedrooms have that wonderful iconic view and with London being an ever developing city the skyline can be quite varied at any given time.

For your next visit for an iconic view you will need to select Studio Iconic or One bedroom Iconic View.

Thank you and I hope we can welcome you back again soon.

widnes
Reviewed February 10, 2014

Myself and my partner turned 30 over the weekend, so we organised a trip to London. We usually stay in a travel lodge or holiday inn, but wanted something special for the weekend.
The Park Plaza was in a great location, opposite the London Eye and close to an underground station.
We received a free upgrade to a studio room which was lovely and received a birthday cake and a card from the hotel.
The hotel was huge and very luxurious, our room was decorated with Japanese style pictures on the walls. The bathroom was huge and had all the essentials provided. It had a separate shower cubicle to the bath which was nice.
The room included 2 plaza tvs, a king size bed, a separate lounge area to the bedroom and a mini bar. There was a safe, an iron and ironing board and a hairdryer.
The staff were lovely and helpful at every turn.
The downsides I would say would have to be check in time was way to long, the reception desk was huge and I didn't feel it was particularly busy when we arrived, but we still queued for 10 minutes and then check in took 10 minutes. We arrived at 1pm and our room wasn't ready, they sent us a text when it was and there was a baggage room where we could store our bags.
A lot of other reviews have mentioned about the view of Big Ben, if you're at the back of the hotel it's literally just a building site. No great views at all!
Room service was over priced (which is the case in many hotels!) We ordered a burger, some soup, 2 beers and a pot of tea and it was £38!
We went down for breakfast and the queue was crazy long! We didn't even try to get breakfast which was disappointing.
Overall I enjoyed the stay at the Plaza Park, I would stay here again because the location is fab and the room was lovely.

Room Tip: Request a view of Big Ben, because there are no other great views at the back of the hotel.