“Fantastic weekend”

GreenLeadersGold level
London, United Kingdom
“Fantastic weekend”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

stayed in a triple room but extra friend stayed as it accommodated 4 comfortably - great fun place very clean and modern had fantastic view over Big Ben - all very lovely. Had breakfast brough tot our room great staff and good fun place to stay

Room Tip: Pay the extra £30 for the view its sooo worth it
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
ParkPlazaWestminster, Manager at Park Plaza Westminster Bridge London, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Fantastic review! Thanks pip w, couldn’t agree more about our view!!

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,330)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
North West England, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 24, 2013

This was my first stay at The Park Plaza Westminster Bridge. I was here on business for 3 nights and my office booked the hotel for myself and my colleagues. I always get nervous when someone else books my hotel, but I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised at just how nice it was.

Located just on the other side of Westminster Bridge, the hotel is within 5 minutes walk from Westminster Tube Station. Be prepared to allow a few extra minutes to avoid the tourists who have a habit of stopping dead in their tracks for a photo of the view on the bridge though. You can see the river, The London Eye and Big Ben from here and boy, do they like taking photos of these! No doubt I'm on at least 57 tourist snaps as I walked through people's photos!

Admittedly, the exterior of the hotel isn't exactly impressive. It looks like a modern office block, however from the moment you step inside you can tell that this is a modern, large hotel and rather luxurious, with escalators and stairs taking you up to the lobby..

I had to check in before heading out to a meeting and the Check In Desk had a long, slow queue and only 2 staff on duty, so I was lucky when someone from the other side of the foyer came over and took me to the Guest Relations area to check me in. He advised that although I had an inside atrium room, there was natural light, although the window was opening up to the inside atrium rather than an exterior wall. What does this mean? Well it means your room is rather dark. Bear this in mind ladies when applying your make up. Not quite the natural lighting you need. Oh it's worth knowing that this hotel is part of the Club Carlton group so you can earn loyalty points. You don't seem to get better treatment by holding a loyalty card though, as I was not given a free upgrade whereas my male colleagues who aren't Club Carlton members did and were upgraded to Junior Suites. Maybe men are better thought of here...?

My room was on the 9th floor. There are many lifts that service this hotel, however you can be waiting some time for one as there are over 1000 rooms in his large hotel.

My room was spacious and very modern. One of the features I loved was the lighting options box by the bed. You could choose from Off, On, Reading and Mood lighting. Mood lighting switches on the bedroom lamps and an orange light in the bathroom that lights under the sink unit.

I had a large window that looked out at the other side of the hotel and down into the atrium. You can only get decent natural light if you open the sheer curtains, but then every room opposite (& there are a lot) would then be able to see you. Privacy or light? You decide.

The bathroom was spacious with a separate glass shower cubicle and a decent sized bath. The bed was King Sized and very comfortable, however the pillows were far too soft. You have to bunch up all 4 of them together in a ball for structure and still your head collapses into the mattress. No support whatsoever. The mini bar is stocked and there is a smaller part of this that is empty and for your use too which is nice touch. Tea & Coffee making facilities and supplied, and there is an ironing board and iron inside the rather funky wardrobe. This is where the hairdryer is too. I didn't use that as I didn't like the look of it as it was white. No logic behind that statement. Just my own issue! When you are looking for the wardrobe by the way, be aware that it is actually the modern photo wall by the bed that is the wardrobe door.

There is a full length mirror in the hall area and plenty of mirrors in the bathroom. Plug sockets are by the desk/TV so you will have to get out of bed to switch your alarm off if you leave your iPhone plugged in? The aircon/heating is controlled by two silver dials on the wall in the hallway. I didn't discover them until night 2. The curtains black out the light completely which is great for sleep and the room was very quiet as it was over the executive lounge.

I opted for breakfast room service for 2 of the 3 nights I stayed as it doesn't cost any extra to have it delivered to your room. On the 2nd day I went to the breakfast area where I was told chef would cook me an omelette of my choice at the omelette station. Fabulous! However sadly nobody had through to tell chef as he didn't show up until I'd finished my breakfast.

I didn't eat at the hotel in the evening, although we did have drinks there and the bar area is large and has a good atmosphere. Very modern. The area behind the bar usually has live music later on in the evening. As for the spa/gym? Sadly I didn't have time to visit them as my schedule was so hectic, so maybe next time.

Although this hotel is large, it never feels crowded. It's modern, extremely clean and spacious throughout. My only criticism would go back to the check-in process as I do have a feeling that they favour male business travellers over female and that is why my colleagues got a free upgrade and I didn't.

Would I stay again? Yes, definitely.

Room Tip: Pay extra to get a room with a window that looks out rather than one that faces inside the atrium.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
ParkPlazaWestminster, Manager at Park Plaza Westminster Bridge London, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
Dear Vanessa B,

Thank you for your detailed review and recommendation.

My team and I have duly noted some areas for consideration, such as how we manage our upgrades, I can only assume perhaps your membership number was not on your profile as to why you did not receive an upgrade on this occasion, but I’ll look into it.

Thank you once again and we’re glad you’ll be back for another visit in the near future.

Singapore
Reviewed June 24, 2013

It's not cheap. But you pay for what you get, which is:
a) excellent location
b) a good comfortable room - beds were good. Size was big enough for 2 kids, 2 adults and a baby. Bathroom is of a good size. I liked that the tub and shower are separate. No fancy toiletries (eg toothbrushes or cotton buds or combs) were provided though.
c) microwave in room was handy.

Service was patchy. Some of the staff were very friendly, George from concierge was very helpful, and there were 2 friendly waiters at breakfast. However, when we were leaving, we could not get any help with our luggage even after waiting for 10 mins. In the end, we brought it down ourselves - no easy feat with 3 kids and heaps of luggage. Housekeeping can also be shoddy - some days they did ok, others less well. On the 2nd day we were even wondering whether they had left half way unexpectedly because a used towel was still on our table after they tided the room, and they failed to replenish the coffee supply.

Breakfast was so-so. Would have liked to try the restaurant for dinner, but did not get the chance. Had a great room service dinner though. The ribs were yummy and filling enough for 2 adults!! The kids' pasta portions were big enough for 1 adult.

We booked on some 'child' package where the kids were supposed to be treated as "VIPs". But that really wasn't anything to shout about. Unimaginative kids' pack with little for the kids to do. This is contrasted with other hotels I've been to where kids are treated as VIPs - e.g. cute stuff toys, daily hot chocolate and cookies at 4pm etc.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Meg
Dear Meg,

Thank you for posting your review, your feedback is appreciated.

I’m sorry we let you down in some areas and have shared your comments with the team. I can see why you’ve rated us with 4 stars and I know on your next visit we’ll be able to score 5 stars!

Reviewed June 23, 2013

Things run smoothly in the lobby and the staff are very friendly as expected. But standing in line for breakfast for 30 minutes isn't quite comforting. One other thing that didn't satisfy me was the room. There was no window out at all! Just a window to a lobby of some kind. And it was dark with all the lights on! Other than that I was pleased. But will spend the 200 pounds per night somewhere else next time.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review and feedback PaksuPepe. Glad you enjoyed our hotel and hospitality.

We offer the Best Online Rate Guaranteed, subject to terms and conditions, do visit the Park Plaza Westminster website for some great rates!

Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed June 23, 2013

We stayed at this for five nights on our first trip to London. It was a fantastic location! As other reviews have pointed out, you are near Big Ben, The Houses of Parliament, and an Underground stop. There is also a stop for two of the hop on/hop off buses very close to the hotel.

The rooms are nice sized and contemporary in design; Adapters were provided, as well as free wifi.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Amy M
Thank you for posting your review Amy M, we were happy to welcome and hope we can again soon.

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 23, 2013

My partner and I visited with my parents who stayed in a separate room, both parties slept on the eighth floor. They stayed in room 889 and we stayed in 885 initially.
Upon arrival we found the queue to be very long and lengthy despite 4 staff being on shift (we later found the queue is always very long- so be warned on checkout). When we eventually were seen to my parents upgraded their room to studio and we had the same from our £12 e-upgrade.
The receptionist very kindly organised a cake for my mother, as it was her birthday the following day and helped us organize balloons and a card which was very kind.
The room itself was incredible, much more spacious than any other hotel in London that I had visited before. The bathroom was incredible and we even had our own kitchenette (with microwave) and a living area.The 'London eye view' was underwhelming but still pleasant, and the bed was very comfortable.
We all found our stay very pleasant, and I would recommend to anyone visiting to stay here.

Room Tip: If booking online make sure you select the £12 e-upgrade. If a better room is unoccupied upon arriva...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you Rhea W for your review and for choosing our hotel for your mum’s special stay.

I’m glad we could provide a complimentary surprise cake and that you all enjoyed your time with us.

We’d love for you to visit again....don’t forget to request and even higher floor for some great iconic views.

Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 23, 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights in June and overall I thought the hotel was very good!
Waterloo station is just round the corner, walking distance and brilliant views of Big Ben and London Eye. Nearby resturants are very good (and a cheaper than hotel resturant)!
My room was a perfect size, the bed was so comfy and just what I needed after a day trekking around central London, as well as good tea and coffee facilities. The bathroom was gorgeous and everywhere was spotless!
It was my boyfriends birthday and the hotel surprised us with a wonderful mousse cake! What a yummy gift!
Staff were all ok, nothing outstanding, a smile on check in would be nice! Also we decided to stay an extra night, when we went to check in to extend our cards te lady walked about for 5 minutes to confirm this was all done. Later when we went back to the room our cards wouldn't work!!
This is the only thing that would take this hotel to a 5 star - customer service!
However I would come back and stay here again, it's definitely worth looking online for the best rate as you can find a decent deal.

• Stayed June 2013
Thank you for your review, feedback and recommendation CharlieMouse21.

I’d definitely recommend reviewing the Park Plaza website for our great rates, we offer the Best Online Rate Guaranteed, subject to terms and conditions.