“Another excellent stay”

Park Plaza Westminster Bridge London
Ranked #184 of 1,072 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 20, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for two nights, the hotel is in a brilliant location, it's a really stunning property, with great views of St Stephen's clock, close to the Eye, the new London Dungeons and the tube.

The staff are excellent, very helpful, friendly and efficient. The food was really good. With good service.

The rooms are fantastic, lovely big beds and fantastic bathrooms. I would definately use this hotel again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
ParkPlazaWestminster, Manager at Park Plaza Westminster Bridge London, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2013

Thank you FranLincolnshireUK for adding another 5 star review and for your continued loyalty.

I do hope you are a Club Carlson member as you could be earning points to redeem against future stays as well as other benefits. Sign up now via the Club Carlson website.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

There are newer reviews for Park Plaza Westminster Bridge London

Reviewed March 19, 2013

Stayed here in the beginning of February for a friend's birthday. Firstly - location couldn't be any better, just a stone's throw from Big Ben and other attractions (if you're in London on a touristy visit). It's a short walk from both tube and mainline stations, so getting around London is nice and easy. Area seemed okay at night aswell (all girls travelling) when we got back from our night out.

Porters catch you straight away when you walk to the hotel, direct you to where you need to go, which was quite helpful - the reception is on the first floor, not ground as we expected. Check in was busy, but that is expected from a Saturday check-in. There was drinks for the thirsty ones waiting :)

We had one of the Suites looking towards the station, which was absolutely amazing! It has a living area with sofas and a TV and a bedroom area with a separate TV and floor to ceiling windows. Bathroom is in the middle of the two, kind of separating the two areas. The bathroom had both a bath and a separate walk in shower, which is great for us Europeans who aren't great bathers! The small kitchenette area has a sink and a fridge besides the minibar, with enough glasses provided.

There are two things about the room I could moan about. One is the lighting - I generally like the dim lighting, as it creates a great atmosphere. But girls know what I'm talking about when I say it is definitely not "make-up applying friendly" lighting. Second thing is the bedding - I don't know why but I just found it toooooo hot or toooooo cold, there was no happy medium,

We had some food in the lounge bar - chicken burger and a triple decker sandwich - both came with delicious fries. Service was smooth and friendly. They also give free popcorn to nibble on whilst you wait or have your drinks. Too addicitive haha.

Breakfast in the morning was busy, but again, expected from a Sunday morning. When there was queues forming, they also used their meeting room areas downstairs which were set up for the same buffet service as upstairs. Found that very helpful, as using the restaurant alone could've proved to be quite a long experience. Food itself was hot and nice, not always the case with hotel chafing dishes. Staff on breakfast very attentive, came around every little bit to offer us coffee and tea.

Check-out was also fast and efficient, couple niggle-naggles about the staff training perhaps (I work for a sister hotel, so tend to notice things that are missed, or communication errors!!) - but generally the reception staff is nice and friendly.

Generally - I would definitely go back! Loved the hotel, location, food and DESIGN :)

Room Tip: The Suites are just amazing!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank TheLittleEstonian
ParkPlazaWestminster, Manager at Park Plaza Westminster Bridge London, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

Thank you TheLittleEstonian for your detailed review and for adding another 5 star review

Sounds like you had a great time with us.

As a team member I hope you shared your niggle-naggles with the Reception Manager before you left as we welcome feedback from all our guests.

Hope we can welcome you back soon.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

We have just returned from a 2 night stay at this hotel, it has a superb location, just over Westminster Bridge, a short stroll to the London Eye, Westminster Abbey, Big Ben & underground. The Reception area was very elegant & we were swifly checked in and proceeded to our room on the 9th floor. The room was very tastefully furnished, with complimentary coffee/tea making facilities, my only criticism was that the room was very dark as it was overlooking an atrium so there wasn't a lot of natural light. The breakfast selection was exceptional, absolutely nothing was too much trouble, we were lent a wheelchair for my Mum and a walking stick to help her get around. My sister was lucky to get a studio room on the 9th floor as there was 3 of them and it was a lovely sized room with full floor to ceiling window.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with an outside window rather than looking out over the atrium.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Dear Beverley B,
Thank you for your review, what a pleasure to read.

We're delighted Ithat you and your family enjoyed your time with us.

A tip for your next visit, for a room with an external facing window please select Studio room, for one with one of our amazing views, it’s Studio Iconic view (London Eye or Big Ben). Our Studio rooms are great with a double bed and sofabed, we can accommodate 3 adults or 2 adults / 2 children.

Thanks once again for posting your review and your recommendation.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

This hotel has a wonderful location, wonderful staff, wonderful rooms. You are steps away from the London Eye, just across the Thames from Big Ben, House of Parliaments, Westminster Abbey etc. It is also near the Waterloo train/tube station and the Westminster tube station. Plus, the price is right. I normally stay here when we in London on business and/or leisure. Bonus: free WiFi in all the rooms and lobby.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
ParkPlazaWestminster, Manager at Park Plaza Westminster Bridge London, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

Dear Janet N, what a wonderful review, thank you.

What a pleasure to read and we’re delighted you had such a wonderful experience with us.

We look forward to seeing you on your next visit, for business or pleasure, you are most welcome.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

The hotel is very trendy, with great staff and amazing location. Easy walking distance to most of the sights.
However, although I appreciate the soft lighting throughout the hotel, it would be have been nice to be able to select a brighter light, especially in the inward facing rooms which are very dimly lit.( room 705)
We were in London to attend a wedding and I'm sure most ladies would agree we all need to sit at a dressing table with a well lit mirror over it and a socket nearby for hair drying and styling, especially when going to a special event. I had to sit on the floor to do this, in a very dimly lit area.I asked for a free standing mirror to put on the dressing table and was supplied with a 4" make up mirror, which was a slight improvement-but only just.
Apart from that issue the hotel is lovely and clean, very large comfy beds, and very friendly and efficient staff. Had one meal in the french bistro, which was beautiful, wine very expensive but what one would expect in a central London hotel.
On reading other reviews I now wish I had requested an outward facing room, for the light and some occasional fresh air.
I have come across the socket/ mirror/ dressing table issue in other hotels- Perhaps all large hotels are designed by men!

Room Tip: Do request an outward facing room.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review Debbie A, I trust you enjoyed your wedding.

Sorry to note the difficulty you had in the bathroom, I’m glad we were able to provide you with an additional mirror.

Hopefully we’ll be able to welcome you back for another stay and certainly advise you to review our room types on the Park Plaza Westminster website, for a room with an external facing window you need to select Studio and Studio Iconic for a room with a view.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

I returned to Park Plaza in December for a family weekend away. As mentioned in my previous review the ambiance and decor of the hotel is fab, very contemporary and stylish. I stayed in a standard double room whereas I had stayed in a studio room previously, which was preferable as it had a window with a view. The standard rooms are actually inside the hotel and your window looks out into an atrium, and you can also see the windows of other rooms. Therefore, it felt a little claustophobic and wasn't great for privacy so I would recommend staying in rooms that have a window (with outside view). I noticed some other reviewers said they were upgraded to a studio room at no extra cost. Unfortunately, this wasn't offered to me, we were asked if would like to upgrade to a studio room but at an extra cost and the receptionist could not guarantee what type of view we would have if we upgraded. As she had no idea what type of view we would have we decided it wouldn't be worth the extra expense so we didn't bother. But as I mentioned, I then wasn't very happy with the standard room when I saw it. Other than that, we had late lunch in the bar on arrival, food was tasty and the waitress who served us was friendly and gave good customer service, unfortunately on the second evening the service in the bar was so slow, that eventually I had to get up and walk up to a waitress to ask if we could order. Unlike the previous day, the service wasn't good. I can't comment on the restaurants because on the first evening we had reservations at another restaurant in London and on the second evening as we had theatre reservations so we didn't have time for dinner (which is why we had bar-food instead). The food in the bar was very good, although it is a little on the pricey side, but considering it's a 4* hotel I suppose that's acceptable. There is a great view of Big Ben directly in front of the hotel, which was great for photos. I'm not sure I would return again however, I would recommend this hotel, as the decor is fab, just be careful about what room you choose and the customer service is a little "hit and miss", but it is a very large hotel so maybe that's to be expected.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for your review Pollyhop and for your loyalty, I am sorry to note that your experience this time was a little “hit and miss”. We pride ourselves on having a passionate and dedicated service orientated team and I’m sorry this did not shine through.

Regarding room selection, we must allocate rooms that were booked and confirmed and yes, regrettable we are not always able to offer a complimentary upgrade but we’re happy to do so when we can (see perfect weekend away below). Please do review our room types listing on the Park Plaza Westminster website. For an external facing room you’ll need to select a Studio room, for a room with a view it’s Studio Iconic.

Thank you for your recommendation and I hope we can welcome you back to enjoy an even better service.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

We had booked a standard double room, however were upgraded to a "studio" at check in for no additional cost. The bedroom was lovely and the sitting room gave us some welcome extra space- without this the room would have felt quite small I think, however the bed was comfy and there are temperature dials for the heating/air con in the room which is useful. There were excellent tea and coffee facilities, with a small fridge in the room and ice machine at the end of the corridor. Dressing gowns and slippers are provided, which are great for popping down to the spa in (there is a separate lift which takes you down so you don't have to worry about people getting in and seeing you!) The spa was absolutely amazing, particularly since it was awful weather the weekend we stayed- it had all the little extras that make the difference between a good and excellent hotel... free lockers, plenty of towels, shampoo and shower gel and a water machine. We didn't use the gym but had a look in and it was well equipped and never seemed overly busy

Breakfast at the hotel was fantastic- there was an extensive selection and no restrictions on how many times you could go up to the buffet, with plenty of staff on hand to remove empty plates and re-fill tea/coffee. The first morning we went down to the dining room, but on the second day we had it delivered to our room (at no extra charge) which was fantastic.We didn't have any other meals at the hotel but there are several restaurants to choose from and fairly reasonably priced.

The hotel was very clean, staff always friendly and I will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: If you want an outside facing room make sure to request this when booking, as most of the rooms are...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear EmBarker,

Thank you for your review, sounds like you had a great weekend with us. We’re happy to have been able to oblige with the complimentary upgrade on your recent visit.

Glad you enjoyed all we had to offer in the Spa. Some areas of the Spa is currently scheduled for some refurb work so I hope you’ll be back soon to enjoy our upgraded facilities.

Glad you enjoyed breakfast, breakfast in bed sounds great and even better with no additional tray charge!

Hope to see you again soon.