“Great hotel, spa and location”

Park Plaza Westminster Bridge London
Ranked #191 of 1,077 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed July 28, 2011

we really enjoyed our stay here and made use of the Mandara Spa on our first afternoon which was completely perfect - the worst part was, I fell alseep in part of my wonderful treatment it was so relaxing!!!! The spa is beautiful and therapists were lovely. our room looked out at Big Ben so each morning we could sit and watch the bustle on the bridge, in front of Big Ben and enjoy our nespresso coffees. Our breakfast was included and was an above average buffet in the morning served quickly and efficiently. We had a dinner at Joel's one evening and did the tasting menu which I would rate a 5/10 so disappointing. Our first course was a crab appetizer which had numerous shells in it and after a couple of bites of shells, turns you off and so we didnt finish but the response of the staff was, sorry, it is fresh crab???? pardon???? I didnt get. It was a set menu so we can only rate the same dishes, and the duck confit was not prepared well at all while the risotto was delicious. We felt that with the number of disapointments experienced with the meal, that there should have been some type of compensation for part of the food but were offered the gratuity of the waiters to be left off the bill....not cool. Our room was wonderful and beds comfy but needed another pillow as very soft and feathery! Other than our dinner here, the hotel and spa were excellent and there are many other places to eat in London so would not dissuade anyone from staying here.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends

Reviewed July 28, 2011

Having moved out of the city a few years ago we now enjoy going back and being tourists. This was our latest base and one of the best, great location, new hotel, good facilities and excellent service - all this and great value as well.
We booked well in advance and got an excellent rate, on arrival we were upgraded and had a room with a small lounge area & a tiny kitchen space. Rooms were well appointed with a good sized bathroom. Only two negatives were the inner rooms can be a little dark and of course the windows don't open.
Pool, gym & spa area were fine for passing a few hours on a rainy afternoon. The hotel also offered a good range of bars, restaurants and a cafe where you could pick up a coffee & croissant.
Location was great, we could walk everywhere and barely used the tube. A great London base, very central but much better value being south of the river.

Room Tip: Good views of Big Ben from the higher floors
Reviewed July 28, 2011

The location, newness and facilities of this Hotel are excellent. We would also like to note the cleanliness, but without trying to be too 'Deep', the missing ingredient are staff who bring the hotel to life.
As you will gather by the scores in this survey, we highly rate the hotel but sadly a lot of staff were truly rude, some surly and most of all apathetic. We fully appreciate by its location there will be a high turn over of guests but should this excuse the 'care less' attitude of the following staff:
Reception - It appeared to be a chore to have to go through the facilities and answer any queries at check in.
The Bar staff - In a near empty Bar in takes over 10 minutes to be addressed or served on 2 separate occasions. We noted a group of American guests in the same bar also looking puzzled by the length of time in being served. I don't know why but I genuinely feel embarrassed at times being a Brit, the level of customer service is so bad at times, especially as we travel a fair bit and know how we are treated in other countries.
The Breakfast staff - From the Oriental Girl who almost ran us to a table, then couldn't be bothered to explain the procedures, to the Tea and Coffee attendant who ignored any attempt or request to pour even one cup for nearly 20 minutes. The restaurant was less than half full at this stage of morning service.
I'm sure the Hotel will ignore these comments and put them down as a one off, which is fine. Please may I point out though, why they should carry some credence. We have a daughter who works in a highly stressful customer facing role, Senior cabin crew for a very famous UK airline. So we know first hand what dealing with the public can be like. For this reason we try and treat others as we would like to be treated, which means a smile and hello when greeting someone, I'm sure you know the rest.... If it had just been a single member of staff who acted is if they had better things to do, then I would be happy to excuse but when it appears endemic with such key staff as reception, bar and restaurant I feel it should be pointed out.
It seems a shame that these staff can make or break such a fantastic hotel and lastly to sign off, I even put these comments direct to the Hotel and never received a reply...
Please make your own minds up as to why.

Reviewed July 27, 2011

We booked this hotel as it was a reasonable price for a family room for 2 adults and 2 children, and it looked nice on their website. We usually stay in the Radisson Mayfair, but know that their family rooms are 2 double beds, which doesn't suit us now that our son is old enough to need his own bed. The room we were allocated at the Park Plaza Westminster had two single beds and a double sofa bed in a separate seating area, separated by the bathroom and a little kitchenette area, with a microwave, sink, mini fridge and enough plates, glasses, cups and cutlery for 4 people.

Having young kids, we really appreciated the compact kitchenette area, as we were able to bring food in from the nearby supermarket, to microwave and serve. A nice family-friendly touch that you rarely get in a city centre hotel.

The floor to ceiling windows overlooked Waterloo station, but there was very little noise through the glass. The bathroom was clean and housekeeping was good.

We didn't eat in the restaurant. It was open p,an from the first floor reception desks area, across the large lobby. It didn't look the sort of place that would be keen to have small children running around. We opted for the ground floor coffee shop, which was very relaxed and welcoming.

The hotel is located on the south of the Thames, very close to both the London Eye and the London Aquarium, which also shAres it's roof with McDonalds! So the kids were happy with the location choice.

Taxis were easy to find, lined up outside the hotel main entrance, and also on Westminster Bridge.

We enjoyed our stay, and would definitely stay there again. We also recommended it to my sister as she's planning a trip to London with her husband and children, and felt that the kit hen area would entice her to book a room here.

Room Tip: City-view / Landmark view rooms aren't much more expensive than those overlooking Waterloo. Mi...
  • Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank Ash1971
Reviewed July 27, 2011

This hotel was located perfectly for our visit into London.
As you enter the hotel, you climb a set escalators and enter a contemporary lobby. There's a wonderful bar serving rather expensive cocktails- the atmosphere is very moody! We sat in the bar for several hours (ordering drinks we really shouldn't have purchased) and just enjoyed ourselves. The view from the coffee area is spectacular.
the rooms are fantastic- kitchenette, seperate living room, stunning views and clean/modern bathroom.
I've stayed at both park plaza's (county & westminister). this is my favourite and has a different clientele- I think this is targetted at the professional/business traveller. They have conferences on the ground floor and basement- very friendly staff- can't help enough. We needed to move rooms and they organised it all for us without any problems.
I would highly recommend this hotel for its location on southbank- a real contender against Royal Horseguards which we also love.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lovetotravelal
Reviewed July 27, 2011

Booked a double room but was given a twin room. I did ask to be moved but was told it was fully booked. The beds are not very comfortable (hard mattress on top of what seems an iron bedstead) and the pillows give no support at all. The bathroom was realy nice though with separate shower and bath. The room was quite small and was interior so not a lot of natural light, but it was quiet. The wardrobe was very close to the bed so I did knock my leg on the iron bed a couple of times whilst unpacking.

The internet did not work via the TV for 2 days but I was still charged for trying to log in. Also, there is no audio on their internet either. I put out the sign for my room to be cleaned, when i came back a few hours later I saw the cleaner by my room so went to the bar to give them time. When I went back I found my room had not been cleaned. I called housekeeping and they said they would send someone, so back down to the bar to wait. Bit of a pain as I wanted to get ready to go out.

Anyway, the hotel is in an excellent location but you do pay for it. It is clean and the staff are friendly. Oh and they give you a little space in the fridge for your own foods/drinks but not much space. When I completed a survey for my stay to the hotel I was offered a complimentary upgrade on my next stay (within 6 months) but of course that means spending another £300+ pounds. I would stay again but only for it's near location to places I was visiting.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed July 27, 2011

My husband surprised me with a trip to London for my B-day. If you are looking for a great place to stay within walking distance of many of London's attractions this is it! The hotel is very modern, the room was spacious and had lovely views, the staff were friendly and helpful. The Sushi restaurant was a great place to enjoy lunch and take in the amazing view of Westminster Bridge, Parliament and of course Big Ben and you're only a stroll away from The Abbey - you can walk the aisle like Kate Middleton & Prince William. We look forward to returning to this great hotel.

1  Thank Frither