“clean and comfortable in wimbledon” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Justin James Hotel

Justin James Hotel
Ranked #159 of 567 London B&B and Inns
Sidmouth, United Kingdom
“clean and comfortable in wimbledon”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

Used Justin James as a base for 3 days intensive London sightseeing for German friends. Wanted somewhere to park and leave car during stay after drive up from westcountry. Very convenient for tube station with lots of places to eat and cheaper than the city Excellent breakfast, helpful staff. Would have liked a lounge.

Room Tip: Corner room attractive but noisy traffic on both sides. choose a back room.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank june g

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Turkish first
Deinze, East-Flanders, Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013

I travel quite frequently to Wimbledon, and this is my preferred place to stay. Whilst this is a very small family run B&B, it has everything a business traveler needs for a single night. Free WiFi, comfortable bed, clean room and bathroom, cooked-to-order Breakfast ( no buffet ), friendly service at affordable prices. And very close to city center! Only downside, no air-conditioning, the rooms can be quite hot in summer.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank ConsiglioriWim
UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

Needed to be in this area of Wimbledon, so not much choice?
Is expensive for what it is, but, this is Wimbledon I'm afraid?
This is reasonable standard B&B, it is not what you would call a 'hotel'. Lots of small rooms have been squeezed into the building.
The standard of our ground floor room, near the reception, was fine. Reasonably decorated and quality of bed OK. Noise levels were acceptable.
Breakfast was again fine, not the worst I have had, but certainly not the best either.
Within walking distance of the Station. Not much car parking.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank John T
Copenhagen, Denmark
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

Sometimes you find a gem in a smaller hotel, other times a dump, and this was the later. I was in room 11 and paid 85 pounds via booking.com.

I knew it was a single room... but the description 1/2 room would have been more appropriate. Under the eaves of the house it was almost impossible to stand up straight in the bedroom.

Room dirty - cobwebs everywhere
Electric shower with limited pressure
TV would freeze and no sound requiring constant turning on and off to change channel - reported but no response
skylight in roof meant light streamed in at 5 am
very old single bed was not comfortable
cheap breakfast - edible but not worth the money
wifi unstable router wouldn't accept password complained / no action

location is good, sainsbury's, pubs restaurants and train very close

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Norwich, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

This euphemistically called "hotel" is nothing of the kind. 3star. What a joke. I arrived, admittedly 20 mins early for official check in time & was informed that maintenance were still working on my room. I requested somewhere that I could get some refreshment as it was a very hot day & taxi from station was impossible as it was deemed to be too close. I asked directions from a number of people. none of whom had ever heard of it.
I was taken into a room empty other than some hard backed chairs. Dining Room it said on the door. this was the only public area in the "HOTEL"? Don't forget the 3 stars! I spent some time trying to connect to the free wifi with no success. I then asked how long it would be before I could gain access to my room & the receptionist opened a door & said "how long will you be"? Helpfully answered by "Dunno".
The keys left me even more disconcerted, as they were proper keys for the room plus a front door key. leading me to believe that the 3* hotel was unmanned at night..
My room was next to the reception desk & I believe the 1st port of call for any intruders.
I asked if might see the room. I think Philip Schofield would probably have made it, but Gordon the Gopher too-no chance!
I then enquired as to the nature of the problem maintenance was fixing & was informed Oh the toilet's broken.
My husband has run a building firm for 45yrs so I should have contacted him, but was becoming increasingly discomfited.
How on earth this place has the nerve to call itself an hotel mystifies me. it is a boarding house at best.
Eventually I plucked up the courage to say. "Sorry, but I want to leave". isn't it amazing how alternative rooms suddenly materialise when you say that? By then however I wanted more than anything to just get out of the place, so I offered to pay.
End result-£64 to sit in a stifling empty room with a glass of tepid water for almost an hour & moving to a real hotel & paying their bill also.
It's got other great reviews so pay your money take your chance.

Room Tip: Don.t even go there!
Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Diane N
maria j, Manager at Justin James Hotel, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Dear Guest, I'm so sorry to read your review which displays your dissatisfaction.
You had arrived early and requested bar facilities which are not available at the Justin James Hotel (please refer to our website). The Duty Manager offered you tea / coffee whilst the room was being serviced, you requested water which was provided.
Unfortunately maintenance is necessary and in the main is accepted as 'one of those things' so we do apologise if this was difficult for you to accept.
Please do accept our apologies again - we work hard in providing a high standard of service and as you can see from the previous reviews, most of our guests are satisfied.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

This is our second time now,as we liked to see the tennis. Stayed in room 4, small but luxurious and very clean with a fantastic shower. Excellent maid service, room always clean and tidy each day. Staff really friendly and always happy to help. Really good breakfast too, warm plates too. Will be going back there again.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank TeamRafaNadal
South Cave, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

This hotel was very clean, staff very friendly, breakfast very nice. Our room was in the attic, it was very nice and beds were comfy, only problem was the over the bath shower. In way of you couldn't stand up to have a shower, it was more a kneel down shower. We felt it should have been cheaper due to this inconvienience.

Room Tip: I would assume the rooms at the back of the hotel would be quieter, as we were at the front, which w...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple