“Superb”

Cuisines: French
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Spitalfields
Description: The third restaurant to be opened by acclaimed chef brothers Chris and Jeff Galvin, La Chapelle has been consistently praised, winning no less than 8 top restaurant awards in its first year, including AA London Restaurant of the Year, and Tatler magazine's Restaurant of the Year. Chef Patron, Jeff Galvin, provides a menu of modern French cuisine, gaining a Michelin star in the 2011 Red Guide, just a year after the restaurant opened. There is also a menu gourmand, prix fixe lunch, early dinner menu, and Sunday Roast lunch menu. The service, under the direction of Alessandro Piombino and his team, effortlessly combines warm, friendly and attentive hospitality with a fine sense of tradition and decorum, in keeping with the grandeur of this Grade II-listed building. The restaurant is one of the few restaurants in London to hold a vertical list of Hermitage La Chapelle wines.
Reviewed February 17, 2014 via mobile

Had a great evening with my girlfriend. The waiters and waitress were very helpful considering it was our first time. The atmosphere is very friendly and loving plus the food was absolutely delicious. I really enjoyed the a la carte dishes and the prices were quite cheap. Would definitely recommend to anyone looking for a warm and heart reaching place to eat and share a lovely moment with a loved one.

There are newer reviews for Galvin La Chapelle

Reviewed February 16, 2014

I visited this restaurant with my wife for lunch on the 9th February and the whole experience was first class. The restaurant building is stunning with very high ceilings and nice décor. The staff were very friendly and our waiter was extremely helpful. Our table was on the mezzanine level which at first I wasn’t too happy about but after a while my wife & I both agreed that we preferred it as it was quieter and we were also able to see everyone else’s food. We opted for the a la carte menu, I had the crab lasagne and my wife had the truffle risotto both were stunning dishes full of flavour. I then had the chateaubriand and my wife had the sea bream which were both delicious and served with lovely veg. For dessert I had the blackberry soufflé and my wife had the Valrhona chocolate ganache . We thought the starters and main courses where some of the nicest food we have eaten, the desserts were also very good but were not quite as memorable as the first two courses. One thing that we were very impressed with was that we asked for the dishes from different menus and also swapped the accompaniments from one dish to another and this was not a problem at all, they did everything to ensure that we had exactly what we wanted. Even the bread was amazing, what a lovely place, we can’t wait to go back.

2  Thank Guy M
Reviewed February 13, 2014

Simply delicious. Great wine, great food, excellent service, and beautiful setting all create a wonderfully enjoyable and romantic atmosphere.

We dined from the a la carte, and the gnocci in particular was a superb dish. Very good sommelier, we had some excellent wines paired with our dishes. Rounded off with a perfect tarte tatin.

All in all, an exception restaurant that I would entirely recommend!

Reviewed February 10, 2014

This was, without question, one of those memorable meals that are few and far between in life. Really excellent.
My eldest daughter was born on my birthday, so I have had years of sharing My Day...when she was little I more or less gave up on having any birthday time to myself. As a result, now she is grown up I have taken to reclaiming the day and making a real effort to do what I like, rather than go along with what others want me to do. So, I was a bit grumpy when #1 daughter announced she had booked us in to La Chapelle, as I hadn't been consulted, blah, blah, blah. I'm publicly apologising here; sorry I didn't have more faith in you, dear daughter.
The building is impressive, inside is lovely, if a bit noisy. Very comfortable seats, by the way but, I felt our table was a bit cramped. There were 5 of us at a table that was better suited to 4, and it got a bit crowded at times with glasses and plates and bowls and so on, which meant that sometimes cutlery had to be squished together. Staff are friendly without being intrusive, and helpful without being pushy.
We all had the prix fixe menu with the addition of a glass of champagne which, at £32 is a bargain. The food was, almost without exception, perfect. I say 'almost', as two companions were a little underwhelmed by the pumpkin gnocchi - they said it was nice but, not especially inventive or flavoursome. That, however, was the only complaint. Duck and pork rillettes were gorgeous, and the home made breads were excellent. I had calves liver with soft white polenta and it was faultless, absolutely delicious, spot-on cooking. The rest of my party had the aforementioned gnocchi, or cod, the fish being pronounced excellent, and full of flavour. Lovely desserts or cheese plus very good wines at a reasonable price. What more can you want? We both had the by-now-obligatory birthday macarons and truffles plus candle, which is a nice touch all the same.
I would certainly go back here, it's very, very good. Thanks, #1 daughter!!

Reviewed February 5, 2014 via mobile

Ate here on Feb 4th and all had the tasting menu with wine package which was fantastic. Would definitely recommend.