“not as good as galvin windows!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Galvin La Chapelle

Galvin La Chapelle
Ranked #307 of 22,375 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: French, European, British
Good for: Business meetings, Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Spitalfields
Description: The third restaurant to be opened by acclaimed chef brothers Chris and Jeff Galvin, La Chapelle has been consistently praised, winning no less than 8 top restaurant awards in its first year, including AA London Restaurant of the Year, and Tatler magazine's Restaurant of the Year. Chef Patron, Jeff Galvin, provides a menu of modern French cuisine, gaining a Michelin star in the 2011 Red Guide, just a year after the restaurant opened. There is also a menu gourmand, prix fixe lunch, early dinner menu, and Sunday Roast lunch menu. The service, under the direction of Alessandro Piombino and his team, effortlessly combines warm, friendly and attentive hospitality with a fine sense of tradition and decorum, in keeping with the grandeur of this Grade II-listed building. The restaurant is one of the few restaurants in London to hold a vertical list of Hermitage La Chapelle wines.
London
“not as good as galvin windows!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

Good venue if you are in the area and looking for a special occassion dinner, otherwise not sure I would come back here when there are so many great places in West London. Food was very good - as you would expect - but as others have commented, the dishes are not particularly complex and lacked the wow factor I get when I go to Galvin Windows and Gordon Ramsay. Service is good though we did have to ask for a better table despite saying this was a special occassion dinner, I recommend sitting in the gallery above, great view of whole restaurant and made dinner feel a bit more special.

Visited April 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
“Suburb all round.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

Supreb food. We had the gastronomic menu but I am allergic to shellfish. My friends enjoyed their food and so did I. Without fuss I had delicious replacements for those courses containing shellfish or slight alterations to make the food safe for me. All my friends had menu cards and a special card came for me with the updates very shortly after. I enjoyed the evening immensely. The restaurant had just the right amount of stunning architecture with a spacious feel without making the diner feel as if they are part of a show; it is very much a restaurant. The attentive staff allow the diner to feel looked after without giving the feeling that they are watching your every move.
Supurb all round. Well worth the price.

However, I would have loved to recommend to my disabled friend but toilets are upstairs such a shame for a new refurbishment.

• Visited April 2013
“Stunning surroundings with food to match!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

This was our first visit to Galvin La Chapelle and we were not disappointed. As soon as we stepped into the restaurant the high ceilings of the old school takes your breath away. Lovely soft lighting that makes a romantic setting. We had the signature crab lasagne to start. It was mouth watering!! I had the pigeon tagine for mains. It was lovely although the lasagne definitely had the edge. The staff were very friendly and personable. We will defiantly return. We had a really lovely evening.

London, United Kingdom
“For the first time, disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

Galvin la Chapelle has long been a night-time favourite, but a chance to entertain out-of-town friends meant a first foray for its Sunday lunch.

It's become family-friendly - you must take this as a neutral comment, there were lots of children but they were all well-behaved - and the staff are friendly if a bit over-practised in their charm.

The meal was OK. That is, unfortunately, all. A sardine starter featured only one sardine (from which not all the bones had been removed), a terrine was accompanied by salad which had spent too long bathing in its dressing. We all loved our beef main course, delicious yorkshire puddings actually cooked in beef fat, one nice if slightly dirty-looking (roasted in the skin) potato, well-seasoned cabbage and miniature carrots: the beef looked and tasted more like fillet than traditional sirloin, completely fatless and thickly sliced. It was sufficient but it wasn't that "oooh, I couldn't eat another morsel" feeling that sometimes counts as a good Sunday dinner.

Desserts were also delicious, chocolate ganache simply too rich to finish, and coffee came with petits fours. Well, two petits fours.

The room is of course less 'magical' during daylight, but it's still a handsome space and the furnishings are elegant and comfortable.

Our waiter claimed he was also part of the sommelier team and fluttered about us with samples and chat until we were more or less confused. After asking for a wine in the mid-£30s, when the bill came, it turned out he'd sold us one for £75. We were bold enough to challenge this, and management were charming and pleasant in resolving the issue, but it spoiled our meal.

I know the rules are 'caveat emptor' but if you ask a waiter for a recommendation near a price you point to in the list, it's wrong to palm off one at twice the price.

I had been planning a landmark birthday at Galvin in June, but I'm now searching other options. Pity.

Harlow, United Kingdom
“Well, I never”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

I would so like to find some fault with this restaurant, but I can't: most annoying in a perverse kind of way. The food was exemplary in both taste and presentation, the recommended wines were spot on, the ambience was just right and the service was faultless. Better still, my brother paid the bill. Quite frankly, one would have to be seriously daft not to visit this restaurant. Pop by for their Sunday lunch and punters will not be disappointed. Let's just hope La Chapelle can maintain their deserved excellence. Highly recommended by my mother and believe me that is saying something.