“Outrageous - they banned me, and falsely accused me of a TA review”

Kennington Tandoori
Reserve with OpenTable
Kennington Tandoori is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9,492 of 22,367 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Indian, Asian
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Transit: Nearest tube - Kennington, Oval(Northern line) Vauxhall (Victoria line) Bus service 159, 59, 3, 133, 415, 333
Description: The dining room at Kennington Tandoori is an elegant space dressed in lemon, plum and chocolate colours. Located on Kennington Road, this south London restaurant draws a local crowd and is always bustling with a lively mix of tables for two, business groups and politicians. The food is the real star of the show here, and the kitchen staff at Kennington Tandoori pay attention to detail - roasting and grinding all their own spices and making up all their own fresh stocks in-house. The menu – which is filled with classics such as the chicken tikka cooked with almonds, pistachios and coconut cream in a saffron sauce – is complimented by a bespoke wine list created by Caspar Auchterlonie.
London, United Kingdom
“Outrageous - they banned me, and falsely accused me of a TA review”
Reviewed May 9, 2014

It's taken me a while to write this review, as I was so outraged by what happened.

I have lived in Kennington for over 4 years, and spent many many evenings in the KT. Food good, bit pricey, but ok.

Had dinner there with my boyfriend, and the coke he ordered was flat. We sent it back, but had a bit of hassle taking it off the bill as they said he had drunk some of it. Rude service but we got over it.

I then moved away for a year. On my return to Kennington I took a date there for dinner. I was asked to wait to be seated, and the manager came up to me and said that I was not welcome at the KT, as I had written a bad review about his restaurant, and that people like me would not be served here.

I asked what this was about? He said that a year ago someone had written a bad review about the KT serving flat coke, and this must have been me. I said it was not. Whilst the same thing had happened to me, I had not written a review about it. He did not believe me.

He shouted at my very loudly and told me to get out.

A week later I went back to the KT to try sort this issue. The deputy manager at first refused to talk to me. I again said I had not written any review on TA ever about the KT. I asked why I would bother coming back to clear up the issue if I had? He continued not to believe me.

I left. I've never been back. So appalled at their rudeness.

• Visited June 2013
19 Thank KenningtonLocalGuy

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“My favourite Indian restaurant, and it's not close”
Reviewed April 15, 2014

I've visited a lot of Indian restaurants in my time, but I feel like that trend is likely not to continue, as everywhere I go that is not KT simply pales in comparison. Most recently I visited last night with a friend. They were quick to find us a table, and attentive with service. We ordered a fair mix of items from the menu, and every dish was a delight. There are some Indian restaurants where it is possible to get the feeling that they have a lot of sauces bubbling away, then just quickly cook off some meat, mix it up and plate it. Not here. The meat was cooked well to retain its flavour, and the spicing of each dish was just right to provide what really felt like a well crafted dish.

Having also had delivery service from KT, I can safely say that I am fortunate to live where I do - while you don't get to enjoy the decor ordering online, the food is still excellent that way.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Tim W
New York
“A bit pricey, but excellent!”
Reviewed April 14, 2014

I don't think I'll ever understand the UK obsession with Indian food "curry" but we were taken here by our daughter's friend and the food was simply stunning. I can't remember any particular dish - although a cauliflower side was the best style of that vegetable I've ever tasted and the red chicken dish was amazing. I can't recommend it enought. Go. Enjoy!

Visited March 2014
2 Thank David B
London, United Kingdom
“High quality Indian cuisine”
Reviewed April 6, 2014

I cannot recommend this place enough, if you want to taste amazing Indian food. It is very local to me, and over the years I have sometimes opted for getting a delivery from a different Indian restaurant as I get tons of menus through my door, but have been disappointed every time simply due to their being no competition that comes near what this place comes up with. Subtly modern methods of presenting some classic and otherwise regional dishes. Ingredients taste very fresh and distinctive. In fact, the food is perfect, flawless every time. I can't fault it. From the poppadoms and selection of chutneys, which is very moreish, onwards. I really like the Naga Murgh, but be warned it is very fiery. Otherwise, king prawn or chicken bhuna or karahi are great. I'm not often a fan of okra but their bindi bhaji is great, crisp sauteed pieces in spices, a great accompaniment. Mushroom or Aubergine bhaji also good sides. The atmosphere is pleasant, comfortable seats and dimmed lights. A modern renovation as I remember the days prior to this, which were more old fashioned in decor, when the current owner's father ran the place. Both really correct people, and warm. The only reason I didn't give this the full five marks is at times the staff can be a bit pushy in terms of asking if you want more drinks, and whilst on one level their being around and attentive is a good thing, meaning you are never in a situation where you are waiting for them to become available, never neglected, but it can feel like the opposite at times, where it might be nice to be left alone a little bit more.. This is my only criticism. Not much more I can say, so if you are within a few miles of this place and wanting a very high quality Indian food eating experience, it is imperative for you to stop by! Also, as I can only select one, and I have been here in all of the visit type incarnations, let me add that it is suitable for a romantic dinner, for a dinner with friends, as a business dinner, for a family dinner (though maybe more so with teenagers and above)..

• Visited April 2014
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Excellent food, only misses 5* due to seating”
Reviewed April 2, 2014

We hadn't booked on a Friday night and they fitted us in but this meant we were sitting in the way of waiters from the kitchens. Other than this the meal was great, service was good, and I would recommend.
I had a king prawn dish and the quality of the seafood seemed good. My friends had a chicken dish and a lamb dish. We were well filled by the end and the price was not too high.
A good night out.