“Gin & Tonic Drenching”

Kennington Tandoori
Reserve with OpenTable
Kennington Tandoori is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9,458 of 22,373 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Indian, Asian
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Transit: Nearest tube - Kennington, Oval(Northern line) Vauxhall (Victoria line) Bus service 159, 59, 3, 133, 415, 333
Description: The dining room at Kennington Tandoori is an elegant space dressed in lemon, plum and chocolate colours. Located on Kennington Road, this south London restaurant draws a local crowd and is always bustling with a lively mix of tables for two, business groups and politicians. The food is the real star of the show here, and the kitchen staff at Kennington Tandoori pay attention to detail - roasting and grinding all their own spices and making up all their own fresh stocks in-house. The menu – which is filled with classics such as the chicken tikka cooked with almonds, pistachios and coconut cream in a saffron sauce – is complimented by a bespoke wine list created by Caspar Auchterlonie.
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Gin & Tonic Drenching”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2013

This is a fantastic restaurant, however last night the waiter spilt gin and tonic all over us, necessitating a table change. My clothing was wet. The seating was wet. Did we get an apology? A free drink? No. Nothing!

Visited April 2013
1 Thank Lynch1234

“Rude Cold Service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

I live around the corner and have been for the past 3 years of living in the area a regular customer.
Whilst the service was always a bit on the cold side the quality of the food seemed to compensate for that fact.
This is the first time I ever feel compelled to write a review on a restaurant. This is because of my last visit where I too a visiting friend out.
We haven't held our menues in our hands for more than 5 seconds when we were asked if we want to order. I suggested that we get a couple of drinks and some papadum for a start whilst we look through the menu. I was immediately told off that I will only be able to order papadums once I have placed an order for the main course. The tone this was delivered in best described with a bark and I can't help but feel that this was done because of the strong easter european accent my friend has (as in the numerous times I have been there before I have never experienced a similarly awful treatment).
The cold dismissive service continued throughout the evening and whilst placing the initial order couldn't happen enough all of a sudden we were quite bluntly ignored at times when trying to place orders for drinks or food.
When at the end of the meal being asked if everything was OK I couldn't help but mention that I found the "ordering main course before appetisers are served" a bit awkward and insulting.
Like mentioned in a previous review there were all of a sudden 3 waiters around the table and one that seemed to be some kind of a manager basically instructing to ignore me.
Needless to say that I of course wasn't ignored when I asked to pay my bill and the credit card machine also didn't forgot to point out that I am expected to add a generous service charge. I must have been completely out of my mind paying for that ridiculously insulting service.

• Visited December 2012
7 Thank LondonLocal480
UK
“Standards have dropped considerably”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

This was our favorite local takeaway. Last three times the food tasted blend, flavours of our favorite dishes have become flavorless. The first time it happened, we thought maybe they had an off day. Second time we wrote them a polite email to ask about it. No response from the restaurant. After giving it some time we thought one more chance. Food was still just so tasteless and blend. We used to love eating from here and we gave them plenty of opportunity to fix whatever's gone wrong.

6 Thank kiwi121
London, United Kingdom
“appalling treatment by staff here”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013

2 of us went here for the 4th time recently. despite booking a table we were seated at a table next to folded concertina doors, and when we asked to be seated elsewhere were initally told the other tables were only for people who had booked. after being reseated and after ordering a drink we were asked a few times by waiting staff if we were ready to order. wanting to relax and have a drink while deciding what to order, we asked if we could have some poppadoms (surely a standard part of the indian dining experience). to our horror we were told no, and that if we wanted poppadoms we must also at the same time order our meals.having discussed this quietly with the manager, at the bar and away from other diners, he informed me that the staff 'preferred' customers to order starters and main courses if they wanted poppadoms. he advised me quite categorically that we would not be allowed to have poppadoms unless and until we ordered starters/mains. I have never experienced anything like this. we are a young professional couple, we were not drunk or in any way badly behaved, we were quiet and well dressed. While the food here is excellent, the attitude of the staff (the manager in particular) is completely appalling. It seemed quite clear to us from the beginning that we were not welcome in the restaurant. In the end we got the bill for our drinks and left. The manager seemed to be more concerned about a few poppadoms and a bit of chutney than in providing a good dining experience to people who have in the past and would have been on the night willing to pay good prices for nice food. SHOCKING AND APPALLING. The management and owners of this restaurant need to have a think about how they treat people

• Visited March 2013
10 Thank londonboyo
“Pricey”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2013

I know that locals love this place. We recently went after some friends recommended it to us. The place itself is very cosy and we found staff and owner lovely and attentive. We were pleased with our choices in the menu. Everything was freshly prepared and well presented. The only downside here is the price as we find the overall experience a little bit expensive considering.

• Visited February 2013