“It's not Wetherspoons!”
Review of Guinea Grill

Guinea Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Guinea Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,113 of 23,873 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Steakhouse, British, Pub
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Mayfair
Description: In 1952, a tenant by the name of Alistair leased the Guinea from Young's and transformed the business with a very simple idea. He realized that following the end of the Second World War, Americans were beginning to holiday in Europe in big numbers. Tourists would often, travel through France and Italy before arriving on British soil by which time they were 'gagging' for a decent steak. A decent steak was exactly what Alistair provided. Prime Scotch beef from Aberdeenshire. Basically, there was no menu and no price list. You were simply given a knife and asked to place a mark on the steak to indicate what size you wanted. Suddenly the Guinea Grill was a hot ticket, film stars, politicians, world leaders and the wealthy flocked to the back room of our tiny pub. We're founder members of the Scotch beef club and we've been serving the very best steaks for 60 years. We've trialled beef from other parts of the globe such as the US and Argentina. They all have their merits but for depth of flavour none of them compare to prime Scotch and the finest of English beef. This is the basis of our continued popularity together with the fact that our restaurant is within a unique London pub. Many of our staff have been with us for years, and we place a high value on customer recognition and warm hospitality.
Reviewed June 5, 2014

My daughter took me to lunch here as a birthday treat. It is true that the food is of a very high standard, but I have learned in life that you get what you pay for. We had a different pie each, and had to order side vegetables. The pies were just shy of £15.00 each, and the side dishes ( we ordered 3 ) were £4.00 each. My daughter had a glass of wine, and I had 2 pints of Young's special ( doesn't taste the same as the Wandsworth brew ) . I was staggered to see on the final bill that because the beer was brought to table, they charged £5.00 a pint! So, for a swanky pub lunch in Mayfair, a bill of just over £60.00 was run up. So, it's good, but you pay for it

1  Thank Michael D
Carl S, Manager at Guinea Grill, responded to this reviewResponded July 4, 2014

Thanks Michael D. You hit the 'nail on the head'. We try very hard to justify our prices with quality food and service.

Reviewed June 1, 2014

I found this place by chance when I tried to bookd a table at the Windmill of Mayfair on a Saturday but they didn't open on weekends and suggest this, their sister pub. Yes, this is an expensive place, but once in a while is not too excessive. It was my first visit and I was very happy with the food and the service. Let's get one thing straight, this is not a place for vegetarians or anyone who are not into redmeat, althoguh you can have chicken or fish and I think they even do a vegetarian ravioli.

We were warmly greeted and the manageress explained to us the provenance of the meat - a rarity nowadays. The waiter was efficient and unobtrusive, although a little "scary". I'm sure he is a gentel giant.

The quality of the beef is very high and you can taste it. My partner and I both had steaks - a 10-oz fillet and a sirloin on the bone. The fillet steak was fabulous, melt in the mouth, juicy and full of flavour. My sirloin on the bone had a little bit of gristle. Next time I will have it without the bone for the same price - less of a faff eating. For side orders, we had peas, bacon and peral onions (delicious), carrots (still has bit), chips (of course!) and mushrooms (good). We both opted for the bearnaise sauce which was superb. Now, a small, very small, gripe. The sides seemed to be charged per person. I ordered carrots at £3.50 thinking it would be a dish of carrots left on the table. It was served bu the waiter and we both had some and was charged £7.00 The peas, on the other hand, was left on the table, as there wasn't room for it on our plates, and we were charged £4.00 (1 portion). Perhaps the waiter misunderstood me and thought I had ordered 2 portions of carrots. It really didn't matter as the carrots were plentiful and the extra £.3.50 is very little in the bigger scheme of things. I just thought it was odd, that's all. Alas, we had no room for puddings, even thought I could see on the other tables that they all looked good. The coffee was excellent.

Oh, yes, someone had mentioned that it was a very musculine place. Considering the food offer, I can't say I'm surprised.

I will tell all those of my friends who are fond of steaks of this place. I'm sure they won't be dissapointed. I will be more than happy to come here again.

Carl S, Manager at Guinea Grill, responded to this reviewResponded July 4, 2014

Dear Pibochen, thanks for your comprehensive review. Some really good points for us to take on board. The Windmill normally opens Saturdays until 7 pm but we were closed for some Saturdays recently while our sun terrace was being built. You must try it, its brilliant.

Reviewed May 21, 2014

I think if you love good steaks cooked well then you will enjoy it here. We were out as two couples, and the restaurant was mostly filled with noisy groups of men. Staff were helpful. Just not my bag.

Carl S, Manager at Guinea Grill, responded to this reviewResponded July 4, 2014

Dear Juiz862. Thanks for the post. If guests are noisy it can be irritating and I understand your point of view. Its not always like that and I'm sorry that this impacted on your enjoyment. We do try to limit the size of tables to 6 maximum and put larger groups into our private room.

Reviewed May 18, 2014

Another visit to this restaurant this time accompanied by 2 friends who had never been before. They loved it - the food was of its usual high standard and both enjoyed the "englishness" of the menu - me too.The staff were 100% professional and the sommelier advised a brilliant white.
My chums, both "City" guys remarked how The Guinea reminded them of how "The George & Vulture" and "Simpsons in Cornhill" used to be and being an old stalwart of both these restaurants in years gone I think their comments summed up matters pretty succintly.
All of us cannot wait to return>

Carl S, Manager at Guinea Grill, responded to this reviewResponded July 4, 2014

Thanks Brian P. Really nice comments. Its good to know that people enjoy a bit of tradition and old fashioned style!

Reviewed May 3, 2014

We visited based on trip advisor recommendations and we're not at all disappointed. Traditional pub in a quaint cobbled street which is frequented by city types having a drink after work spilling onto the pavement. However looks can be deceptive and the left hand side of the pub hosts a silver service grill room. As you walk in you see the choice of meats on offer and the chef cooking the beef on an open grill. We had the porterhouse at c£56 for the two of us which was one of the best steams I gave ever enjoyed - and e'ive me we have gad a steak all over the wired. Tables are situated very close together but they seat you as far apart as they can until it gets busy. Somellier deserves a mention for finding me a rose wine that I enjoyed to make my experience also positively memorable.

Carl S, Manager at Guinea Grill, responded to this reviewResponded July 4, 2014

Dear Heulwen 9, Thats really great, so pleased you enjoyed your visit.