“Surprisingly underwhelming!”

Ranked #29 of 1,728 things to do in London
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Courtauld Gallery is one of the finest small museums in the world. Its collection stretches from the early Renaissance into the 20th century and is particularly renowned for the unrivalled collection of Impressionist and Post-Impressionist paintings. The Gallery also holds an outstanding collection of drawings and prints and fine example of sculpture and decorative arts.
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I'm a total sucker for Impressionist paintings, so Courtauld was high on my must-see list. I ended up feeling underwhelmed by it, though, and felt that the National Gallery offered a better selection of this kind of art! Courtauld is basically two small floors of artwork in a very beautiful building/area.

I'm not sad I went here (it was free with our London Pass cards), but I wouldn't call this the must-see site that I, myself, expected it to be.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

This was a terrific gallery to go to in London. It had a wonderful selections of paintings-many Impressionist, some Russian artists, Rubens, etc. The best thing was that it was small enough that you could see every piece of artwork. Also nice cafes right outside to enjoy a latte.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

A wonderful collection of varied genres that I visit time and again as there is always something "new" to pick up on and connect with other collections around the world. The most sensational piece is Edourd Manet's swan song, A Bar At The FOLIES-BERGÈRE. The expanse of the canvas, the correct hanging, positioning and lighting make the display an experience not to miss. The subject matter is an everyday event that Manet transforms into a reflection to ponder. Another interesting work is Death of Achilles by Peter Paul Rubens. The myth of the Trojan War and Troy is fascinating as historians have proved that the echoes of fable are accurate and that the visualisations and tales are largely true.

Reviewed July 5, 2013

Fine selection mostly of impressionist art is very well displayed in a mansion. The floors are wood and easy on the feet, less noisy than most big museums too. Hint - take lift to top and start with special exhibit ( now Gaughin). then walk down the spiral staircase enjoying the art and objects.

Reviewed July 5, 2013

I'm not sure if I live under a rock but I had never been to or heard of courtaud gallery but found it on the web as I was looking for they "most famous" paintings in London. The websites highlighted manet's barmaid at follies Bergere but there are many more masterpieces there to enjoy. It's a small gallery and was perfect for my two kids age 10 & 13. We went thru in less than an hour because we got there late and we really loved it. I'm not sure what else is at somerset house but it was a great surprise find for me!!