“Don't stay here!”

and 1 more site!
Oakley Hotel
Ranked #321 of 572 London B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 30, 2011

The photos and description on the website are very deceptive. The front door is dingy to say the least and it goes downhill from there. Our room was half a room with the bathroom sliced off that. There was a smell from the bathroom and the sliding door did not close at the bottom. The lace curtains were filthy dirty and the only chair was broken. We went downstairs for a cup of tea only to get even more discouraged by the smell of stale cooking. We took our tea out to a promising terrace garden- could have been lovely- only to find rentokill traps on the windows! That was it. Went to the local library and trawled till we found alternative accommodation. On our return when we complained and said we were checking out the girl did not charge . 2 things in it's favour, location and the sheets looked clean but overall cleanliness was seriously lacking. Chelsea Show attendants. Ireland.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends

Reviewed May 25, 2011

I stayed recently at Oakley Hotel. It was fantastic being situated in such a central area. Chelsea is fabulous and very safe. I appreciated the hotel for what it is, a cheaper place to stay in an expensive city. Whilst, the building and furnishings are older - the essentials are kept clean. And we were well looked after, in what is a very cosy, family orientated, budget bed and breakfast.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank tuna128
Reviewed May 23, 2011

There is the saying 'you get what you pay for' £85 per night for London is reasonable I expect. But who said cleanliness was expensive. The whole hotel is filthy apart from clean sheets on the bed. On arrival I waited on the doorstep for ages after ringing the bell for a second time to be met by a very aloof woman. The key to my room didn't fit the door lock very well and on one occasion the door hadn't shut behind me and I returned from breakfast to find the door open. The shower is almost impossible to regulate temperature as there is no thermostat. It also dripped all the time. The wash basin was so small that the water poured out over on to the floor. If you shut the door when sitting on the toilet your knees touched the very dirty door. There was no fan in the shower room so no ventilation. On the second night of my stay some people outside made such a noise that sleep was impossible for a while. And on the morning of departure the lightbulb in the shower room burst so loudly that i got a fright and then there was no means of seeing anything at all in there as there was no window. To cap it all a man from the upstairs window sideways on to mine was leaning out able to see straight in to my room. He was smoking. I didn't fancy trying the cooked breakfast as everywhere looked so dirty.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank duffield3
oakleyhotel, Owner at Oakley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 25, 2011

Unfortunately some guests book into my hotel expecting a chic, Chelsea style boutique hotel. At £42.50 per person per night for a double room with a shower and WC we are obviously not in that category. I am writing a response to this review as I take my guests’ comfort seriously. I wish I had known about this guest’s concerns at the time of her stay. It was unfortunate that the light bulb blew and tripped the safety fuse which also operates the ventilation fan in the bathroom. The hotel is a converted Victorian house, over 170 years old, therefore the shower facilities are not purpose built as in modern hotels. It is impossible to place bathrooms next to the large sash windows. As this is a conservation area, I am not allowed to put in new windows. I found no problem with the shower tap but have replaced it to ensure it is easy to turn off.
The whole hotel is non-smoking.
I have no control over people’s behaviour in the street. It is a quiet, safe, upmarket, residential neighbourhood.
I feel the comment about ‘the whole hotel being filthy’ was unjustified. I do monitor the hotel for cleanliness. All rooms and public areas are cleaned daily. I’m sorry this guest was not happy with her stay, but her experience does not agree with our many happy guests over the 28 years I have owned the hotel.

Reviewed May 17, 2011

I loved the room, staff, and the breafast was the most hearty I experienced during my three week vacation in Europe. The part of town was quite lovely. The only disadvantage was the distance to the tube. You can take the bus to the tube station and that makes the trip into central London much easier. They did not have wi-fi, but a wonderful cafe around the corner did.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank EuropeLover1891
Reviewed July 25, 2010

An air of faded gentility pervades this old, run down, slightly ramshackle hotel in a Chelsea terrace house. The hotel was warm (except the bathroom), adequately clean, bed okay, the room (a single) tiny but with a basin and a great outlook over Oakley Street. Shared bathroom and separate toilet clean but chilly. The shower temperature was very difficult to adjust but there appeared to be plenty of hot water.
Breakfast plentiful and individually cooked by cheerful caretaker/concierge and served in one of those peculiar half underground rooms that the terrace houses have. Access to the kitchen offered at other times so I was able to make a tea or coffee and use the microwave etc. In combination with the (for London) cheap price, the ability to cook a quick meal myself made for a very economical stay.
Other guests were mostly middle aged Europeans and the occasional younger Englishman.
Approx 100m from Albert Bridge and the Thames Embankment (great for a morning run), Battersea Park immediately across the bridge. Free broadband at nearby 'Le Pain Quotidien' on the Kings Rd and internet access at Chelsea library a few metres further on. Lots of buses along Kings Rd, closest underground station, South Kensington, about 15 minute brisk walk.
If you want cheap and cheerful and you're not fussy about appearances, and you can manage stairs, the Oakley Hotel should suit you fine.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
5  Thank thoughtfuldancer
Reviewed July 17, 2010

My (now) wife and I spent a week here just before our wedding. Loved it, and so chuffed to have found it in the first place. Its a little hard to find this place using the generic B&B search in google, which is a good thing, and thankfully managed to stumble across it from the first review above on Tripadvisor - another good thing. The place is gold. The rooms are charming and full of character. And the 2 aussie ladies (sorry girls, your names elude me but you know who I'm talking about) we're so welcoming and cheerful. All in all, I would happily stay here again and again and again. The price is also very good value for (relatively little) money. My advice is to book here, you will not regret it.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Leeb0
Reviewed January 12, 2010

I was in London over Christmas 2009 staying at a flat in Chelsea, which I didn't really realize would be far away from transportation when we booked it last year. The mother of a friend of ours, a saint of a woman, agreed to babysit my two children plus one more kid for a whole evening so we could go out to dinner and an incredible jazz show. We wanted to stay out late and needed a good, clean place for Saint Woman to stay. South Kensington was too far away and I began to worry there were really no hotel options nearby. Saint woman refused to let us pay for her hotel (!) but our owners would not let us have any more people in the flat. Suddenly, I''m walking down Oakley Street toward Battersea park one morning and I see the Oakley Hotel! Yay! It's cheap, it's right next door to our flat, it's really clean, the people who run it are very nice, and the really great price is inclusive of a great breakfast. I called them and walked over to check it out -- there was a line of french tourists going up the front steps waiting to check in! So obviously this place is in someone's guidebook somewhere in the world. Saint Woman seemed very happy with this choice and the price, and ultimately after much encouraging she agreed to let us cover the cost of the Oakley, but she still refused any other compensation. My childen, and the other kid who only speaks German and no English, seemed all very happy and content with Saint Woman. And we were happy that she had a good place to go crash for the night after putting up with all those kids. We will definitely check out the Oakley again because (a) the neighborhood is really incredible, with fun restaurants, shops, the park and the Thames nearby, and (b) it's a good budget hotel that won't break the bank in an otherwise very expensive neighborhood and city.

Stayed: December 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank alippa
Also consider these accommodations in or near London
Chelsea
Fraser Suites Queens Gate
#470 of 1,078 in London
Bloomsbury
The Principal London

Been to Oakley Hotel? Share your experiences!