“sleep quality not quite as expected”
Review of The Arch London

The Arch London
Ranked #17 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed January 2, 2011

I've stayed for two nights from Dec 31st to January 2nd. Let me start by saying that the hotel looks great. The entrance, lobby, restaurant and rooms are cosy and romantic. A perfect fit for any couple. However there are few things that could be improved at the Arch.

1. VAT isn't included in the price. So please be aware of an extra charge of around 40 GBP a night. (ofcourse depending on the daily rate)

2. On the first day of our stay we visited Borough market and returned to the hotel with some cheese and croissants. I asked the receptionist for a plate, vork and knife. The girl said she thought this wasn't possible. "The only way to get a plate at your room is to order roomservice". (????????) Finally I got one. But when staying at a five star hotel, such a request should be followed up instantly.

3. The rooms of a five star hotel should be quiet and well isolated. This isn't the case at The Arch. Ofcourse it's an 19th century building but still I expect such a hotel to have quiet rooms. There is a constant sound of people walking, running water, doors slamming and elevators going up and down. These sounds are ofcourse normal to a hotel but you expect the structure of the hotel to be more solid. The walls and floors are just not thick enough to absorbe the noise. Because of the noise we made three room switches. I must say the staff was very helpful in getting me a more quiet room, unfortunately without succes.

3. Service charges for the concierge to call the Tube for service information (he offered this himself) of 75P and 2.63 GBP for bringing a plate to my room. (This should be included)

I travel a lot and often stay in business hotel chains like Sofitel. This time I booked a slightly more romantic hotel because I stayed there with my girlfriend. Next time I will book a Sofitel kind of hotel to make sure the rooms are quiet. After all sleeping is the most important aspect of a hotel stay.

4  Thank ukkie79
BeccyGunn, General Manager at The Arch London, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2011

Thank you for posting such an honest review of your recent stay. I was naturally very disappointed to read all the points raised by you and will ensure that every point raised is discussed with the relevant members of my staff. I am equally sorry that you experienced some interruption and noise disturbance depsite us trying to resolve the situation. Like most London 5 star hotels, our rates do not include VAT and I am currently investigating the issue regarding the service charge. Should you wish to discuss this with me, my email address is beccy.gunn@thearchlondon.com. I look forward to hearing from you.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,823)

Reviewed January 1, 2011

My sister, her fiancée and I stayed at the Arch while spending a few days Christmas-shopping in London. It was a beautiful little hotel, very stylish and luxurious without feeling too overstuffed or snobby. The rooms were wonderful, free soft drinks and coffee, free wi-fi, flat screen tvs, as well as being so wonderfully and practically decorated. The restaurant was very good as well, and they had really good coffee at breakfast (this is very important to me :)).

A few minor hiccups (the minibar wasn't always restocked with everything, the complementary coffee in the room wasn't refilled, the English Breakfast was suddenly missing either mushrooms or sausage with no explanation etc) -- but if we chose to draw the hotel's attention to whatever we were missing they were extremely quick to apologize and put everything right straight away. I do not consider these little things reason to complain at all since they were fixed as soon as I asked.

The staff were exceptionally courteous and I loved that they were so obviously from all over the world! They were very helpful and never made us feel that we were asking too many questions or "bothering" them with tourist issues.

(The four stars for value is simply because for the price I paid, I would have liked to have had breakfast -which was delicious- included.)

But despite having to pay for breakfast, on my next trip to London I will definitely stay at the Arch!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank KarenBorsholm

Thank you very much for your honest review of your recent stay. We were delighted to welcome you all the hotel and I am so pleased that you found the staff to be so accommodating. I am sorry that you experienced some problems with the replenishing our your items in the room and also during breakfast and would like to apologise for this. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed December 27, 2010

I booked The Arch for my boyfriend's birthday to have a very relaxed evening and we had a wonderful stay. I booked directly from the website and got the best rate. I also requested a late check-out. Upon arrival on boxing day with the traffic chaos, the concierge swiftly took care of the parking and we were warmly greeted by the receptionist who informed us of a room upgrade!

The room was spacious, well designed down to the last detail with an iPod dock, Nespresso coffee machine, Large LCD TV in the main room and BATHTUB with all the great SKY channels, slippers and bathrobe (and even a night light for the bathroom). The bed was comfortable, the pillows were huge and fluffy and the duvet was nice and warm.

We left for the birthday dinner with the room in a bit of a mess and upon arrival our room was made-up (even the towels were changed) and a bottle of complimentary bottle of champagne was left by the receptionist for the birthday boy!

We had drinks at the Hunter bar and the cocktails were delicious (very strong too)!

Every minute put a smile on our face! We checked out at 3pm with no one calling or hassling us to leave. I can't believe anyone could write a negative review here. I have stayed in the Dorchester in a dated standard room for more money than my total stay including drinks at the bar, full english breakfast for two and parking at the Arch. I definitely think its great value and I will most certainly be staying here again and recommending it to everyone i know!

My only comment would be that they really need to expand their DVD library outside of the Oscar winners. Maybe the top 10 films of the year?

2  Thank DAL2816

Thank you for writing such a great review on the hotel and for trusting us with the birthday stay. It was our pleasure to have you staying with us and I am so glad the staff and facilities of the hotel exceeded your expectations. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on your next visit.

Reviewed December 25, 2010

For the money it doesnt get much better than The Arch. Loved the TV in the bathroom, free minibar and free wireless internet - a nice touch that is rare in London hotels. The gym was super too, complete with powerplate and well stocked with water and towels.The only downfall is the restaurant where the service is very slow and food not up to much but I can highly recommend Rhodes, just a few minutes walk away.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple

Thank you very much for your honest review. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us but naturally disappointed to hear about your experience in the restaurant. We are now in the process of retraining all areas of HUNter 486 and very much hope you will return to try the restaurant again. I certainly look forward to welcoming you back to the Arch London.

Reviewed December 16, 2010

What a fabulous hotel. You couldn't fault it. It had everything you could want in a five star hotel and more - just the opposite of 'no frills'. What were some of the frills we liked? A selection of teas in the room, each in leaf form in an infuser, so that you got the full taste without the leaves. A night light in the bathroom. A TV built into the batroom wall so you could watch while luxuriating in the bath (all the sophisticated oils and shampoos provided contribute to the effect). A very high standard of service. A great restaurant where everything, from the bread to the chocolates, is made on the premisis, before your eyes. And in the bar, I had an ice-cold Meantime pilsner served in an ice-cold glass - an unforgettable drink. We were also extremely impressed by the visual excitement of the hotel: the striking colour combinations, dramatic use of lighting, sumptuous fabrics, eye-catching furniture - it really was thrilling to stay there. And with all that, The Arch's prices were on a par with many four star London hotels. Unbelievable! We're in love with The Arch.

1  Thank Sephardi

Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review. I am absolutely delighted that you enjoyed all the little "frills" in both the bedrooms and restaurant. We very much pride ourselves on trying to think of all the little extras that make a difference and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed December 16, 2010

We booked to stay here for one night in November on Expedia.ie. When we went to check in to the hotel the receptionist quoted the rate on our Expedia reservation then added casually "plus vat". I was amazed at this as my understanding and experience is that the price quoted by Expedia is the final price you pay. The Receptionist seemed surprised at my query stating all their prices were quoted ex vat. She then disappeared apparently referring my query to their Resevations Dept who were located elsewhere. She came back a short time later and told me that we would have to pay the Expedia quoted price of STG £195 plus vat of 17.5%. She said that the Hotel would not get the vat and that it would go to the Government. A rather patronising comment as if I was a half wit who had never heard of vat. I of course couldn't care less where the extra charge was going. I have used Expedia to book hotels all over the world from Europe, Asia, Australia, US etc. Never on any ocassion have I been asked to pay ANY amount above and beyond that quoted on an Expedia reservation. I again advised the Receptionist that I would pay the £195 confirmed by Expedia but I would not pay a penny in excess of this. The Receptionist disappeared again to consult with the Reservations Dept. She came back and told me that it says in the small print on the Expedia reservation that "Local Taxes and Charges are not included". In my experience this means that anything I have in the mini bar or on the ground locally would be extra. I have never been charged anything extra for the room itself. I advised the hotel that given their position I wished to cancel my reservation and go elsewhere. The hotel accepted this. For me at this stage it was a point of principle. I find this absolutely incredible that in the worst recession for a generation a hotel(particularly a new hotel) would a) try such sharp practice and b) be willing to loose a new customer over such an issue. My husband and I were only in London for one night and this argument ate considerably into our short time away. Fortunately I am a regular travel to London and know it well. I walked down the road a few hundered yards and into the Cumberland at Marble Arch. They had availability for the night at co-incidentally STG £195. I queried whether this was inclusive of vat. The receptionised replied in a rather surprised manner "of course". We enjoyed a very pleasant nights stay at the Cumberland. I certainly will not be returing to the Arch.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
7  Thank whe2312

Thank you for posting the review. I was very distressed to read this especially since we do not have an agreeement with the third party site mentioned and therefore any rates shown by them are aquired from our own website which clearly states that VAT is not included. I however, take full responsibility for the attitude shown to you by the staff and was naturally very disappointed to read your account of events. I would be personally delighted to discuss this further with you and would kindly ask that you contact me on beccy.gunn@thearchlondon.com.

Reviewed December 15, 2010

The Arch is the place where you want to be in London! Great location, perfect service, beautiful rooms!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business

Thank you very much for such a short but positive review. We all look forward to seeing you soon.